Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Pulmonary-edema , signs and symptoms, great read

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Pulmonary edema: Causes - MayoClinic.com

AS high doses of AAS and stimulants can be stressful to the heart this study has some great information on
things to keep an eye on for your over all health.

Stims and AAS both can increase BP and increase water retention.

Causes
By Mayo Clinic staff

Your lungs contain numerous small, elastic air sacs called alveoli. With each breath, these air sacs take in oxygen and release carbon dioxide. Normally, the exchange of gases takes place without problems.

But in certain circumstances, the alveoli fill with fluid instead of air, preventing oxygen from being absorbed into your bloodstream. A number of things can cause fluid to accumulate in your lungs, but most have to do with your heart (cardiac pulmonary edema). Understanding the relationship between your heart and lungs can help explain why.

How your heart works
Your heart is composed of two upper and two lower chambers. The upper chambers (the right and left atria) receive incoming blood and pump it into the lower chambers. The lower chambers, the more muscular right and left ventricles, pump blood out of your heart. The heart valves — which keep blood flowing in the correct direction — are gates at the chamber openings.

Normally, deoxygenated blood from all over your body enters the right atrium and flows into the right ventricle, where it's pumped through large blood vessels (pulmonary arteries) to your lungs. There, the blood releases carbon dioxide and picks up oxygen. The oxygen-rich blood then returns to the left atrium through the pulmonary veins, flows through the mitral valve into the left ventricle, and finally leaves your heart through another large artery, the aorta. The aortic valve at the base of the aorta keeps the blood from flowing backward into your heart. From the aorta, the blood travels to the rest of your body.

Heart-related (cardiac) pulmonary edema
Cardiac pulmonary edema — also known as congestive heart failure — occurs when the diseased or overworked left ventricle isn't able to pump out enough of the blood it receives from your lungs. As a result, pressure increases inside the left atrium and then in the veins and capillaries in your lungs, causing fluid to be pushed through the capillary walls into the air sacs.

Congestive heart failure can also occur when the right ventricle is unable to overcome increased pressure in the pulmonary artery, which usually results from left heart failure, chronic lung disease or high blood pressure in the pulmonary artery (pulmonary hypertension).

Medical conditions that can cause the left ventricle to become weak and eventually fail include:

Coronary artery disease. Over time, the arteries that supply blood to your heart can become narrow from fatty deposits (plaques). A heart attack occurs when a blood clot forms in one of these narrowed arteries, blocking blood flow and damaging the portion of your heart muscle supplied by that artery. The result is that the damaged heart muscle can no longer pump as well as it should.

Although the rest of your heart tries to compensate for this loss, either it's unable to do so effectively or it's weakened by the extra workload. When the pumping action of your heart is weakened, blood backs up into your lungs, forcing fluid in your blood to pass through the capillary walls into the air sacs.
Cardiomyopathy. When your heart muscle is damaged by causes other than blood flow problems, the condition is called cardiomyopathy. Because cardiomyopathy weakens the left ventricle — your heart's main pump — your heart may not be able to respond to conditions that require it to work harder, such as a surge in blood pressure, a faster heartbeat with exertion, or using too much salt that causes water retention or infections. When the left ventricle can't keep up with the demands placed on it, fluid backs up into your lungs. Heart valve problems. In mitral valve disease or aortic valve disease, the valves that regulate blood flow in the left side of your heart either don't open wide enough (stenosis) or don't close completely (insufficiency). This allows blood to flow backward through the valve. When the valves are narrowed, blood can't flow freely into your heart and pressure in the left ventricle builds up, causing the left ventricle to work harder and harder with each contraction. The left ventricle also dilates to allow more blood flow, but this makes the left ventricle's pumping action less efficient. Because it's working so much harder, the left ventricle eventually thickens, which puts greater stress on the coronary arteries, further weakening the left ventricular muscle.

The increased pressure extends into the left atrium and then to the pulmonary veins, causing fluid to accumulate in your lungs. On the other hand, if the mitral valve leaks, some blood is backwashed toward your lung each time your heart pumps. If the leakage develops suddenly, you may develop sudden and severe pulmonary edema.
High blood pressure (hypertension). Untreated or uncontrolled high blood pressure causes a thickening of the left ventricular muscle, and worsening of coronary artery disease. Noncardiac pulmonary edema
Not all pulmonary edema is the result of heart disease. Fluid may also leak from the capillaries in your lungs' air sacs because the capillaries themselves become more permeable or leaky, even without the buildup of back pressure from your heart. In that case, the condition is known as noncardiac pulmonary edema because your heart isn't the cause of the problem. Some factors that can cause noncardiac pulmonary edema are:

Lung infections. When pulmonary edema results from lung infections, such as pneumonia, the edema occurs only in the part of your lung that's swollen. Exposure to certain toxins. These include toxins you inhale — such as chlorine or ammonia — as well as those that may circulate within your own body, for example, if you inhale some of your stomach contents when you vomit. Kidney disease. When your kidneys can't remove waste effectively, excess fluid can build up, causing overload pulmonary edema. Smoke inhalation. Smoke from a fire contains chemicals that damage the membrane between the air sacs and the capillaries, allowing fluid to enter your lungs. Adverse drug reaction. Many drugs — ranging from illegal drugs such as heroin and cocaine to aspirin and chemotherapy drugs — are known to cause noncardiac pulmonary edema. Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). This serious disorder occurs when your lungs suddenly fill with fluid and inflammatory white blood cells. Many conditions can cause ARDS, including severe injuries (trauma), systemic infection (sepsis), pneumonia and shock. High altitudes. Mountain climbers and people who live in or travel to high-altitude locations run the risk of developing high-altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE). This condition — which typically occurs at elevations above 8,000 feet (about 2,400 meters) — can also affect hikers or skiers who start exercising at higher altitudes without first becoming acclimated. But even people who have hiked or skied at high altitudes in the past aren't immune.

Although the exact cause isn't completely understood, HAPE seems to develop as a result of increased pressure from constriction of the pulmonary capillaries. Without appropriate care, HAPE can be fatal

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Awesome post brother, thanks...

Thinking about the pulmonary edema, and seeing some of the "ingredients" that can cause that, do you suppose its possible that Trenbolone could be put on that list? I'm thinking of course about tren cough. Although from most peoples description cough seems to be brought on by a tickle in the back of the throat...

Any thoughts?

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Awesome post brother, thanks...

Thinking about the pulmonary edema, and seeing some of the "ingredients" that can cause that, do you suppose its possible that Trenbolone could be put on that list? I'm thinking of course about tren cough. Although from most peoples description cough seems to be brought on by a tickle in the back of the throat...

Any thoughts?

Most certainly, strong androgens/progestins are bad about stimulating angiotensin-aldosterone system, heart-rate -lot of things!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
nice article shine.

the heart is a muscle like all the rest of them. granted the type of muscle fiber is different, cardiac vs smooth or skeletal, but the effects on it are similar plus the arteries are smooth muscle so the heart not only is under the influence of the substance but the arteries and therefore increasing the load on the heart to force the blood through the thickening arteries.

the number one cause of heart attacks in race horses is overuse of steriods. seen a bunch of them fall over dead on the track because the heart seizes up.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
great post Shine but i has a couple of questions :D

is there any way to stop AAS's negative effects on BP and water retention?

because AAS allows for more strength and size gains does this place a more important role on cardio in exercise?

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Diet IMO is first, study your arse off on healthy nutrition!

Healthy Diet (of course) Don't let estrogen run wild, use an anti-E, AI's if needed and keeping choles and BP under control.
And not doing ridiculous doses of AAS non stop for years!

use AAS sparingly and rely on work ethnic/ proper weight training/enuff rest/don't over train.
instead of falling into the lazy category like some do and using more AAS for more gains.

Blood work blood work! and total check-ups and complete regular heart-check-ups!

hormonal balance! of naty proges, pregnenolone, Dhea also!

prob is alot fall into the category of taking high doses, eating like shit, drink a tun of alcohol, use to many stimulants for extra energy and never get there damn blood work done!

Follow /take note of and do those things properly and I think people will be fine.

imho.

Mad-Bull

Mad-Bull

Jun 10, 2011
Question Shine, do you know if excess Estrogen has any negative effects on cholesterol or bp?

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Question Shine, do you know if excess Estrogen has any negative effects on cholesterol or bp?

absolutely, main prob is BP do to the fact that estrogen stimulates aldosterone fast! increased sodium reten and water = higher blood pressure. high estrogen also lowers thyroid function to, worse in women though as far as thyroid.

Last edited:
apollo

apollo

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2011
use AAS sparingly and rely on work ethnic/ proper weight training/enuff rest/don't over train.
instead of falling into the lazy category like some do and using more AAS for more gains.

prob is alot fall into the category of taking high doses, eating like shit, drink a tun of alcohol, use to many stimulants for extra energy and never get there damn blood work done!

A- FUCKING- MEN Brother! Especially the 1st paragraph. All these guys taking a g of test aint never even thinking about stepping on a stage and just feeding their ego their life.- I better shut up now before I piss alot of people off- LOL!

Snachito

Snachito

Oct 8, 2010
Good article Shine!! I think you and I talked about this on VIP as I had a slightly enlarged heart, and I felt like I was breathing water (pulmunary edema) a while back. At the time there were no anti -e's, plus my BP was NOT under control, my weight was 230+ and being only 5 foot 7 I was carrying alot of fat/water and muscle for my height.

Although the whole enchilada was a combination of things, High doses gear, gyno surgery (the plastic surgeon has to lipsuction some of the regular fat in the lower, middle, upper chest not just removing the grizzle fat from the gyno, to contour the chest giving it a natural appearance and liposuction causes major water retention as the body treats it like a second-degree burn). I was miserable and the recovery from that took like 3-4 months!!

Once I took Buspar (anti-anxiety), Accupril (blood pressure drug) and slowly doing cardio everyday little by little (hell in the beginning I couldn't walk more than 4 steps without needing to take a deep breath or sitting down and get this, this was when I was in my mid twenties). But at the time I thought I was hot shit, I won a few local shows and regional show (then got smoked at the national level) living the "lifestyle" thinking I was going to be a top BB'er (boy was I living in la-la land).

Now that I'm in my early 40's life means so much more to me and even while I'm on TRT and still do cycles in between I still get tests done every 3 months as there is no frickin way I'm going to go down like that, so I don't care what it will take, I'll sacrifices a few pounds of muscle to extend my life ten years if it would effect my heart, lungs, etc. Right now I still have a good physique that I can step on stage(and will for sure next year no ands, ifs, or buts), yet at the same time be healthy, I don't aspire to be a pro bb'er I just want to compete till my body can't take it no more and live a long healthy life.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic