Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Pullovers – A Forgotten Exercise

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
I have always done these with my back workout. However I have talked to a few guys that incorporate them for chest development.

Do you do this exercise and is it with back or chest?

Pullovers – A Forgotten Exercise That Can Add Inches Of Solid Mass To Your Chest
The pullover is an exercise you seldom see done in the gym anymore. Yet back in the “Pumping Iron” days of bodybuilding it was a staple in almost everyone’s routine.

In fact, way back in the old days before the invention of bench presses with upright racks for holding the bar, guys would do a barbell pullover, lifting the bar from the floor to their chest, and then do their bench presses. But gradually over the years this exercise got pushed to the wayside and is hardly ever done by the average gym goer.

The main benefit from pullovers is that they help expand the rib cage and work all the supporting muscle groups along the torso, chest, lats, arms, and shoulders through a full range of motion. This can really help add thickness and depth to your torso, which is one area that a lot of people lack these days.

I know from the majority of people that I see at the gym that very few of them have a well developed torso. It’s actually quite common to see a guy with muscular arms and shoulders stacked on a slim chest and torso. But by adding pullovers to your routine you can help fill out and expand your rib cage and correct this problem.

Your rib cage is the frame work that supports all your upper body muscles. So if you have a well built frame underneath, the muscles of your chest, shoulders, lats, and arms will look much more impressive.

I was fortunate enough to have included pullovers as a regular exercise in my workouts from the start and I think this has certainly helped me to develop a large rib cage and good chest expansion, which is clearly seen when I hit a side chest pose as in the pic above.

The main reason I even did this exercise was the fact I started training in a simple home gym and didn’t have access to a lot of the fancy machines that are so common in most gyms today. So from having limited equipment I tried to include as much training variety as I could using basic free weight barbell and dumbbell exercises. For this reason I sometimes feel that training with limited gym equipment can be a blessing in disguise.

There are two basic variations to the pullover, the barbell version and the cross bench dumbbell version. One is not necessarily better then the other, both work well. I personally feel that the dumbbell pullover stretches the chest a bit more and the barbell pullover places a little more emphasis on the lats. But you can pick the one that feels the best for you, or if you have no preference you can alternate back and forth between both variations. The main thing is that you just do them.

The pullover is a stretching exercise, so you’ll make better gains from using a moderate weight, higher reps, and really working through a full range of motion. Add weight to the exercise in a gradual progressive fashion, but never at the expense of sacrificing your exercise form.

Depending on your body structure and how you do the exercise you may feel it working the chest, or you may feel it working the lats, or a combination of the two. So you could include pullovers with your chest or back workouts. The main thing is that you do them consistently so you reap the results that they have to offer.

The first time you do the exercise start off with a light weight and just get used to the movement and the range of motion required. Then go up by 5 – 10 pound jumps in weight each set. By going through this process you’ll naturally find the sweet spot where you have enough weight that allows you to stimulate the muscles hard, yet still be able to perform the exercise through a deep range of motion and fully stretch out your entire rib cage, chest, and lats.

Start off with 1 – 2 warm up sets and then take a working weight that allows for 15 reps with good form. Do 2 – 3 working sets and really focus on feeling the muscles stretch and contract with each rep. Another little tip that will help add to the effectiveness is to take a deep breath before each rep and hold your air in as you lower the weight. This will give you an even deeper stretch throughout the rib cage.

You’ll get more benefit from doing pullovers at the end of your workout when your muscles are already pumped. Doing stretching exercises when you are pumped up and the muscles feel tight will aid in muscle growth because the connective tissues are already being stretched from the blood volume in the muscles, and then by doing stretching exercises at this time as well you get a double whammy effect. This really stretches the connective tissue and increases your muscle growth potential.

By doing pullovers as a staple exercise in your workout routine you are going to experience a good upper body growth spurt and also notice an improvement in your flexibility and mobility for a lot of your other exercises as well. Give it a try and don’t be surprised if you add an inch or two to your chest measurement in as little as 6 weeks.

R

Rai080

MuscleHead
Sep 11, 2013
I have always done these and still do. I love them and feel I get a real good stretch. I do them on both back and chest days. Really feels good if done correctly. The only thing that I have changes is I do not go as heavy.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I love them! I hit chest and back together so it works perfect. But when I switch to isolating the muscle groups, I hit them with chest. And use an alternate exercise for back. Arnold was/is a big advocate of pullovers too.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Been doing them for about two months due to shoulder pain. Straight bar or dumbells makes no difference, it hurts! But with pullovers no pain at all, wish i had started these sooner

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I use DB pullovers for chest and cable for back.

Currently I'm training back and chest together as supersets. One of the supersets are DB pullovers w/cable rows. I have them rotated out right now but still hit it about every 3 weeks until I put them back in, actually it depends on what gym I'm at.

I haven't done cables in some time, to me there are just better exercises to stimulate my back.

HDH

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
DB pullovers are a complete mind-muscle connection exercise. They are perfect for teaching someone that concept. You can pull that DB up over your face using mostly triceps, or lats, or chest. There is a slight variation in form for each of these methods, but to the untrained eye they wouldn't see it. Much like CG pullups, the way most people do them they are all bicep and abs. But you puff out your chest, look up, angle the elbows down/out and back and pull like you're pulling a piece of saran wrap over your face and they blast your lats much better than WG pullups.

A

Alphad

Nov 29, 2012
DB pullovers are a complete mind-muscle connection exercise. They are perfect for teaching someone that concept. You can pull that DB up over your face using mostly triceps, or lats, or chest. There is a slight variation in form for each of these methods, but to the untrained eye they wouldn't see it. Much like CG pullups, the way most people do them they are all bicep and abs. But you puff out your chest, look up, angle the elbows down/out and back and pull like you're pulling a piece of saran wrap over your face and they blast your lats much better than WG pullups.

^^^this is a great point. Perfect exercise for mind muscle connection. Too many inexperienced people perform them throwing weight up and down in an uncontrolled fashion and then wonder why it didnt work for them like it did for Arnold.

Murica

Murica

Aug 2, 2013
Good exercise. Anybody else do them on a decline bench?

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
Good exercise. Anybody else do them on a decline bench?

That's how I do them. On a DB decline bench. I flatten it out as much as it will go. But can really dial this lift in better on a decline bench where I'm not worried abt trying to keep my feet from coming off the floor.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I love dumbell pullovers cross bench, I do at end of lat workout but at times I've used to preexhaust my lats superset with chins . Typically go heavy for 12-15 Reps but I also go 20 Reps emphasizing deep breaths expanding rib cage. It gives lats width from front

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011

Nice post clap!! Bump

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
Cable pullovers love them. RC acts up sometimes when doing them

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic