Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Protein shake directly after training?

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Many of y'all drink a serving right after training? Only time I drink any protein shake but feels like it's the best time to.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
I do after, have done before in the past. Probably go back to before, because thats easier than, eating another meal at work some times, cause I run out of time.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Only shakes I use. Literally seconds after my last set, I'll drink 30g of WPI with 25g of Glycofuse and a scoop of Reds (High ORAC anti-oxidant blend)
upload_2016-10-13_20-4-41.png

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Really makes no difference for most people. The "anabolic window" has been mostly debunked.

This is not the case for most people (but is for the vast majority). For people who control and manipulate their diets well AND are fairly lean (10% or less BF), nutrient timing can have an impact.

It becomes more an impact of carb manipulation though. But carbs and proteins (taken with little to no fat) can work in a synergistic manner for triggering a large insulin release. This drives the carbs into the muscles.

You get to a point where you take advantage of the higher insulin sensitivity post workout to drive in large amount of carbs. CKD is an extreme of this, but you can do it even without keto. (but you have to be lean enough to see any difference). When you carry more fat, there is much less of this impact as you have more fatty acids floating around for energy usage if you need it. The imparts are much less dramatic. (or even counter productive). When you are fatter, your insulin sensitivity is lower and the excess carb spike has just as large a chance of ending up as excess fat.

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Completely agree. I just have always liked drinking some dymatize ISO 100 or something similar right after then I usually get in a good meal within. 2 hours tops.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Mac is always stealing my damn replies.

If you're body is fueled, it's not going ot matter. Do you think that if you fueled up your body well just before your workout, that the effects of a PWO shake is really going to be a game changer.

I use intermittent fasting. this mean, my first meal of the day counts the most and it will be very large. It is usually around 60% of my total calorie intake. This comes after my workout. I do, however, believe this is one of the very few circumstances in which BCAAs is good. I use the preworkout because otherwise, I have nothing in my system.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
If you are going to have another intense bout of training in maybe 8 hours or so getting protein and carbs in could make a difference. But otherwise it's not a big deal at all.

But if it makes you feel good then go for it.

Personally the idea of drinking my protein rather than enjoying a meal is just not desirable to me.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Nutrient timing is more or less irrelevant.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
If you are going to have another intense bout of training in maybe 8 hours or so getting protein and carbs in could make a difference. But otherwise it's not a big deal at all.

But if it makes you feel good then go for it.

Personally the idea of drinking my protein rather than enjoying a meal is just not desirable to me.

I gave my response, but must confess that I do have a shake after every training session. It has become a habit. For the past 6 years since coming back to the gym, I have consistently eaten 220-250g of protein a day. That is quite a bit so I rely on a good amount of whey to hit that mark.

I know guys say they get 300g or protein a day all the time. (the same guys that claim to eat 5000cal). Well my 'modest' 250g of protein a day would require me to eat almost 3 lbs of meat a day to hit. (and that is leaner meats....eat fattier meats and it would take 3 1/2 lbs a day). So I have found whey makes hitting my goal EVERY DAY much easier.

As I have gotten leaner, I have added more simple carbs (dextrose) to my PWO shake. I have experimented with a large spectrum, but usually hit 60-80g sugars with 50g protein and no fat. I then eat a full meal about 60-90min later.

Link to a study that shows the ingestion of leucine and dextrose yeild to higher insulin spike vs ingestion of glucose alone. They have a synergistic effect. (whey is high in leucine which is why whey also has been shown to spike insulin)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19013300

Just something I have found that works for me (and my schedule). I can make it ahead of time and put it in a insulated 32oz flip top. I enjoy it on the ride home and then am ready to eat shortly after getting back home.

The effects of the carb became something where I could notice them after I dropped below 12%ish, and have become more and more noticeable the more I lean out.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I gave my response, but must confess that I do have a shake after every training session. It has become a habit. For the past 6 years since coming back to the gym, I have consistently eaten 220-250g of protein a day. That is quite a bit so I rely on a good amount of whey to hit that mark.

I know guys say they get 300g or protein a day all the time. (the same guys that claim to eat 5000cal). Well my 'modest' 250g of protein a day would require me to eat almost 3 lbs of meat a day to hit. (and that is leaner meats....eat fattier meats and it would take 3 1/2 lbs a day). So I have found whey makes hitting my goal EVERY DAY much easier.

As I have gotten leaner, I have added more simple carbs (dextrose) to my PWO shake. I have experimented with a large spectrum, but usually hit 60-80g sugars with 50g protein and no fat. I then eat a full meal about 60-90min later.

Link to a study that shows the ingestion of leucine and dextrose yeild to higher insulin spike vs ingestion of glucose alone. They have a synergistic effect. (whey is high in leucine which is why whey also has been shown to spike insulin)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19013300

Just something I have found that works for me (and my schedule). I can make it ahead of time and put it in a insulated 32oz flip top. I enjoy it on the ride home and then am ready to eat shortly after getting back home.

The effects of the carb became something where I could notice them after I dropped below 12%ish, and have become more and more noticeable the more I lean out.

That why I ended my post with a statement of if you like it then go ahead it doesn't hurt.

For me I only eat about 200 grams of protein per day so that's easy. And I have a voracious appetite. Shakes leave me hungry 20 min later.

I don't worry about post workout insulin spikes either because frankly if that's what I want I will just inject insulin and throw down a couple hundred grams of carbs with it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic