Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Protein from real food better than protein from supplements?

mscldrew

mscldrew

Sep 11, 2010
What do you guys think about getting almost all (approx. 80%) of my 350 grams of protein a day from shakes?
Bad thing?

D

Danny diamond

Jan 17, 2012
that is an awful lot, whats the stats per shake?

Georgia

Georgia

Mar 31, 2012
I can't say for sure...but it's always better to eat real food...because it is natural and easier on your organs and your body absorbs more of real food (according to popular opinion).

Just bake a bunch of chicken and eat 8 ounces of chicken (220+ calories/50-60g protein)

I switch between real food and shakes due to school and work. But I ALWAYS eat more real meals than powdered supplements.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
Natural is the best way to go, shakes are a supplement !

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
It's your body but I wouldn't. You get a lot of minerals and vitamins from real food, substituting that amount could lead you to a deficiency of some form.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
I would flip your ratio and get 20% from shakes and 80% from real foods.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
Real food is where its at, don't consume shakes unless you have to.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
Real food is where its at, don't consume shakes unless you have to.

exactly. i dont even use them pwo anymore. real food has changed my frame faster than you would believe. shakes are for emergency meals when there is no other option...like 1-2x wk.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Most protein powders aren't what they are labeled as. They range, on average, about 50-60% of the labeled protein content. There are a few that had results of 10%! This is one major reason why food comes out on top. Not to mention, the other nutrients you get from food, and no synthetic vitamin is going to do as good of a job.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I would flip your ratio and get 20% from shakes and 80% from real foods.
Well said Prime. How many frickin shakes would you have to drink to get 350g protein anyway ?!

Get the majority of your protein from meat, fish, nuts and the foods you consume, you'll probably take in a lot less sugar this way as well (unless you are drinking WPI shakes mixed with water). IMHO, two shakes a day is plenty and any more than that probably highlights the fact that your nutrition/diet is off.

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
Real food, brother.

You don't mention what sort of protein shakes. Food breaks down slowly, gives you amino acids over time, which works in our favor- the aminos, which are fractions of protein are the building blocks you need to make and repair muscle.

Post workout, whey isolate shake for me. Food the rest of the day. Cottage cheese before bed.

Good growing to you!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
For me Whey IS real food. At times I will get close to 1/3+ my intake from whey. Other main sources are beef, chicken and milk. To me it is just a tool in the arsenal to meet my macro requirements.

I buy only good quality products. (which believe it or not are often VERY cost effective when compared to big marketed brands) One of my favorites is Trutein which is a blend of whey, egg, and casein...all high quality stuff (not ion exchange..etc).

I also have been using a lot of unflavored pure whey isolate (cold processed, microfiltered). I buy it from NOW in 10lb bags. Just the highest quality pure protein isolates....NOTHING else added. I mix this in with a lot of things. I still buy flavored proteins, but I usually cut them 50/50 or even 25/75 with my unflavored whey (flavored/unflavored).

Anywhey......whey is food to me and I use it as such. It is not only the most bioavailable, but there are also MANY MANY other health benefits from whey. (cold processed and filtered one's NOT ion exchange)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic