Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

Powerlifting Diet

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about eating while trying compete at powerlifting.

I'm starting to rethink how I'm eating. The issue I'm having is maintaining weight consistently. Yesterday was my heavy squat day. When I woke up this morning I was almost 10lbs lighter than I was yesterday morning. This keeps happening after my squat and deadlift workouts. I'm back up to weight today but I'm concerned that I might not be building as much strength as possible because of these fluctuations in body weight. I have a fast metabolism and can drop 20lbs eating fast food and pizza everyday. Maybe I should just lift at a lower bodyweight? But I hate how much strength I lose when I'm lighter. Any thoughts?

RageBlanket

RageBlanket

Feb 13, 2013
Jesus, I wish I had the problem of being able to lose while eating whatever I want. Alas, I'm old...

Do you track diet/macros at all?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
A diet? Have you tried the see-food diet???

Hit Burger King for 5 whoppers and follow up at McD's for a shamrock shake with a scoop of vanilla whey.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
That'll work for a while but remember CT Fletcher and what happened to him.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
That'll work for a while but remember CT Fletcher and what happened to him.

Please elaborate. My diet is less than perfect, but very satisfying. I pretty much eat everything I can get my hands on.

GreatGunz

GreatGunz

VIP
Jun 10, 2011
I literally eat anything last night 3 bowels of captain crunch... I'm not you guys caliber but we gotta start some where

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Please elaborate. My diet is less than perfect, but very satisfying. I pretty much eat everything I can get my hands on.

CT Fletcher would eat 3 burgers, 3 fries, and 3 apple pies everyday after training and it put him in the hospital and ended his powerlifting career.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
I do have low blood pressure and low cholesterol but I'm 38yrs old now and I don't want to be eating a bucket of fried chicken everyday to maintain weight

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I did the see-food diet for a while ( sans fast food and junk food usually ) and with lots of homemade fries, 3000 calorie shakes, eating two meals at every sitting, I went from 240 back in 2007 when I switched from bodybuilding to powerlifting to a high around 335+ at nationals in 2011...... it sucked. I sweat from eating, I sweat from tying my shoes, and I sweat from sweating. Blood pressure got crazy ( 160/110) and it is naturally high. I'd be out of breath from a flight of stairs and lifting would wreck me.... after 2011 nationals I had so much fluid retention that my feel arched out the other way and were too swollen to go in my shoes.

I pulled it in and made the switch to carb backloading in 2012. Now I am steady between 300 and 310, can see abs in the morning ( kind of, a little, maybe if I flex.... well, at least not totally fat).... I DO have to add carbs and burgers a few extra nights a week to keep my weight up, but my weight is staying controllable and I've lost 4 inches off my gut. It sucks to bench now without the gut, but blood pressure is back to where it was as a teenager ( 130/90) and I can run a mile without having to stop and call for an oxygen tank. I recommend the diet ( with added carb nights to keep your weight up) because you can more easily control your weight and your bloat.
For starters, try just a consistent paleo diet with big binges after training sessions..... like a whole pizza..... and light carbs/high healthy fats.

So, you can stay big as **** while not eating like a total ass all of the time.... it just takes consistency and a lot of fine tuning.

One side note though, even if it is just TRT, you are still on something. If you want to go on you can find raw contests that don't test, if you want to compete tested it's time to lose the TRT.

Reactions: SAD
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic