Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

personal training... Is it worth it?

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
I'm not sure how many personal trainer we have here a certified not just training your bros as I have often done. I have wondered for a while if the tuition, not to mention the annual recertifications makes good job earning logic.

I assume this can depend on your employment arrangement with either the clients or your gym that has taken full advantage of your education?

I post this not to offend anyone or slander the facities that provide the degree, I am truly curious as to the potential in this profession.

Let me know what you think if you are fluent on this.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I am in a position where an opportunity has come up and I may need to just get the stupid piece of paper.

I say stupid because I am working with athletes. Not 50 year old fat ladies who want to get in shape.

The certifications, or at least studying for them do provide good info on assessments. But some of what is in their books is just plain wrong.

Still though, in the real world those pieces of paper are sometimes required.

I am looking at the ACE cert. I think it's like 400 bucks to take the exam. That seems ridiculous but if it will open me up to gaining more clients I will do it.

Then of course the CEU'S. Well I don't mind that at all. We never stop learning.

Overall I think it will be worth it. Just depends on whether you will actually use it or not. Say you do it part time and make 20k annually. Seems worth it to me for a side job.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
PoB, why don't you also do NSCA's CSCS (if you meet the requirements)? That would be better suited for you since you're working with athletes.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
PoB, why don't you also do NSCA's CSCS (if you meet the requirements)? That would be better suited for you since you're working with athletes.

Only 2 certs that mean anything when it comes to personal training certs. All others are snake oil.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

Only 2 certs that mean anything when it comes to personal training certs. All others are snake oil.
There are 3 accredited certs. NASM NSCS and ACE.

I don't really see a big difference. I went with ACE because I took a course as part of my major that used the ACE PT Manual as out text. No study required at this point.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Back when I worked with a hospital these 2 were required...NSCA and ACSM.

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
I have a book that rates ACE among the top 4 places

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
So the cert seems to be worth it

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic