Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Pepsi acquired muscle milk

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
one of my techs dads is a big wig for the local pepsi distributor here. i guess pepsi bought out muscle milk and will be taking over distribution of it in a few weeks.

very random. i have never used muscle milk nor will i ever but i just found it interesting.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Hope they don't change the formulation though

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Im not trying to be an ass or anything but that happened a while back, like last year.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Im not trying to be an ass or anything but that happened a while back, like last year.

AJ is correct like 2 years i think, but this is only for the drink line, from my understanding cytosport still controls and makes the powders.

Last edited:
MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
This has a lot of bearing on the supp industry. With giants like Pepsi and Coke dabbling in the protein market, the demand for whey is increasing. Prices are soon to follow.

P

Phoenix

Nov 14, 2010
This was just posted today....

Muscle Milk Warned by FDA : BevNET.com

Muscle Milk Warned by FDA

The Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning letter to Muscle Milk maker Cytosport saying the dominant protein drink brand’s labels could be misleading to consumers.

The agency’s concerns strike at the brand’s very core: the chief labeling issue is that the company’s RTD beverage is called “Muscle Milk” when it does not contain milk. The FDA also cited other nutrient content claims in a variety of Muscle Milk products, including its shakes and energy bars.

The FDA, which sent the notice on June 29, gave Cytosport 15 days to reply and outline actions to correct the violations. But there may be no simple remedy.

““I think they’re going to have to rethink their entire brand identity,” said Justin Prochnow, an attorney with Greenberg, Traurig, who has handled many cases dealing with FDA regulations. “Basically, FDA is saying there’s not milk in it and yet you identify it with milk so much. It’s a big problem for them.”

Nevertheless, the FDA has been slow to follow up on warning letters like the one it sent Cytosport; a warning letter to relaxation drink Drank insisting that the company change its label and marketing to identify itself as a dietary supplement instead of a beverage was filed two years ago, Prochnow said, and the brand continues to call itself a beverage.

“I think it’s a case of them not having the resources to go back and follow up over time,” Prochnow said.

For Cytosport,the warning letter comprises the latest development in a case that has aggravated the company in one form or another for the past two years. In 2009, Cytosport competitor Nestle USA – which makes milk-derived products like Nesquik — filed a complaint about Muscle Milk with the Better Business Bureau, which referred the case to the FDA and the Federal Trade Commission.

The brand has been something of a pioneer in the sports and nutrition drink category, taking its powdered mixes and successfully turning them into an RTD product with sales exceeding $25o million and a distribution deal with PepsiCo.

Muscle Milk had previously entered into an agreement with at least one government agency, the FTC, to ward off regulatory penalties, agreeing to include the phrase “contains no milk” on its labels. The FTC closed the case in May 2010, after the company agreed to the labeling and marketing concessions.

But the FDA expressed concern with the exact same labels that the FTC approved, telling Cytosport that because the product listed milk-derived ingredients like calcium and sodium caseinate, milk protein isolate, and whey, but its label also contained an allergen statement that Muscle Milk contains ingredients derived from milk, “The ‘contains no milk’ statement could give consumers the impression that these products are free of milk-derived ingredients.”

Nestle had also filed requests with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to revoke Muscle Milk’s trademarks, although those were also dismissed in May of 2010.

Calls to Cytosport’s office were not returned.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011

i live in smallville, we still get mail via ponyexpress :D

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Pepsi has been distributing Muscle Milk to our store for about a year now.We only sell the RTD's though.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pepsi has been distributing Muscle Milk to our store for about a year now.We only sell the RTD's though.

we are way behind in smallville! whew...................

oh well, i like it that way! keeps life simple.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
i love muscle milk..but fuck man the price...dw

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Ok just to be clear... Pepsi retains the RIGHTS to distribute Muscle Milk RTDs only. They did not "buy" anything technically, other than the right to distribute. One of my major clients out here is Coca-Cola. Prior to late 2008, Coca-Cola was the one who distributed the RTDs made by muscle milk.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Ok just to be clear... Pepsi retains the RIGHTS to distribute Muscle Milk RTDs only. They did not "buy" anything technically, other than the right to distribute. One of my major clients out here is Coca-Cola. Prior to late 2008, Coca-Cola was the one who distributed the RTDs made by muscle milk.

there you go, the real answer. next time someone comes in and tells me something has come to smallville, im going to keep my mouth shut :D

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic