Members
Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Pec Major tendon pain

TheSwindler

TheSwindler

May 5, 2014
As the title says I have been getting pain where the pec major tendon inserts onto the humerus for a few months now and I am not sure why its happening. Was curious if any one has had this or knows what is from ie: bad form.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
When does this pain occur, be specific?

TheSwindler

TheSwindler

May 5, 2014
It occurs during pressing exercises that focus on the pec and during the negative of chest fly movements

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
It occurs during pressing exercises that focus on the pec and during the negative of chest fly movements

What is your weight, approximate age and
Give me some examples of how heavy you lift.

Finally do you typically use a spot on chest day""
and are u a power lifter?

Fanofiron

Fanofiron

May 11, 2014
Stay away from flys for sure. I would suggest 2-3 weeks off chest. Try ice/heat routine.

I had a mild pec tear in my lower pec line month or so ago. Felt a big knot that was very fibrous feeling. I layed off chest for 2 weeks then when I started back up I stayed away from fly moves and heavy bench. I was benching 335 at 180lbs and I think I did it then. Didn't feel it while doing it just realized my pec felt weird. I dismissed it at 1st thinking it was a sterile abbess as I pin my pecs.
I started back up benching but limited myself to 225 max for weeks. I hit 275 again this week but I'm taking my time before I try 300+ again.

Rest is key

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014

OP I ask the questions I ask to determine the relative risk of a certain condition, other than that it's just routine FBI stuff :)
Jim

TheSwindler

TheSwindler

May 5, 2014

Weight: 210
Typical Weight: Barbell-275 DB-85 for standard flat bench
No I don't use a spotter and no I am not a power lifter

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Weight: 210
Typical Weight: Barbell-275 DB-85 for standard flat bench
No I don't use a spotter and no I am not a power lifter

What are you currently cycling?
Does the pain involve the dominant shoulder?
What is your current occupation?

Have you EVER had any problems with this shoulder esp any that required SURGERY?

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014

Have you EVER had any problems with this shoulder esp any that required SURGERY?

I won't put you on the spot OP but it does indeed sound like you have developed Pectorial Tendonopathy. Which is probably limited to inflammation about the tendon and muscular junction.

Although these types of injuries are relatively UNCOMMON in 22 year olds they have become much more common because of AAS use. Simply put, AAS enable the "growth" and power of muscle to far exceed the load capacity of it's companion tendon.

Under these circumstances it's not to surprising "tendon failure" occurs. That's why jerking, quick or "rapid burst" lifts often precede acute tendon failure. What's more important, tendon failure is well documented in patients whom were only lifting at 50% of their Tmax! The key is a slowly initiated and well controlled lift and for that, most mates SHOULD have a spotter, especially during heavy lilts.

I would strongly suggest a spotter for any chest workout days and limit activities to those which cause NO SYMPTOMS.

I would also suggest a formal diagnosis by your physician, in addition to a physical therapy referral for rehab.

Finally at age 22 because the natural TT production has PEAKED, the use of AAS is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Here's a few reasons why;
1) they enable cheating during lifting
2) bone immaturity
3) musculo-tendonious instability
4) restricted financial resources
5) limited competent AAS guidance

Last edited:
TheSwindler

TheSwindler

May 5, 2014
I have had this issue since i started lifting seriously when I was 18 and lead to a rupture of my left pec major tendon. Went to a doctor and said there was nothing to do but let it heal and I would get back to where I was. Also just to let you know this was in no way shape or form the result of AAS use.

TheSwindler

TheSwindler

May 5, 2014

1. Nothing
2. Yes because as I state in my other post when I began seriously lifting at 18 I ruptured one of my pec major tendons
3. Student
4. No but it has taken a beating from sports

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
1. Nothing
2. Yes because as I state in my other post when I began seriously lifting at 18 I ruptured one of my pec major tendons
3. Student
4. No but it has taken a beating from sports

I'm not here to criticize or judge anyone but understand AAS use and tendon rupture are inter-related based on known scientific literature.

Therefore if you EVER used AAS they likely contributed to your current problem or were the additional risk factor needed to create an optimal environment for rupture.

Nonetheless since it seems your aware of the underling causation, I'm really not sure what your question is?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic