Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Peanut butter

narcissus79

narcissus79

Oct 17, 2012
that video is just stating the obvious. Of course sugar is not toxic. It's a food source we need for fast glycogen storage and insulin response.
That has nothing to do with the peanut conversation. Peanuts on the other hand are not good for you. They aren't terribly bad for you either. Yes they have plenty of saturated fats to help bump up your calorie intake, but they have minimal protein, no EFA's, and no fibre (unless you eat the shell!)

To increase your EFA's (and specifically, it should be Omega 3's as our ratios are almost always out) 2 tablespoons of Flaxseed oil in every meal should be about the right amount to get your levels to optimal. When I get a chance, I'll find some Journals to back it up.

As for fish? Salmon has greater levels of omega 6, not omega 3, so once again it is not going to change your ratios. Flaxseed oil is far superior. It has the highest natural ratios of omega 3 to omega 6.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Potato bread is really good though.

Last edited:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Man one time I ate almost a whole jar of organic cashew butter.... Bbbaaaaaaadddddd idea. I love cashews though, haha.
Definately one of the better nut choices Turbo. Here's a few of the main health benefits of raw organic cashews:

1. Cancer Prevention
Cashews contain plenty of proanthocyanidins, a class of flavanols that actually starve tumors and stop cancer cells from dividing; studies have also shown that cashews can reduce your colon cancer risk. Their high copper content also endows the seed with the power to eliminate free radicals and they are also good sources of phytochemicals and antioxidants that protect us from heart disease and cancer

2. Heart Health
Cashews have a lower fat content than most other nuts and most of it is in the form of oleic acid, the same heart-healthy monounsaturated fat that is found in olive oil. Studies show that oleic acid promotes good cardiovascular health by helping to reduce triglyceride levels, high levels of which are associated with an increased risk for heart disease. Cashews are naturally cholesterol free and their high antioxidant content helps lower risk of cardiovascular and coronary heart diseases. The magnesium in cashews helps lower blood pressure, acts as a natural muscle relaxant and helps in the prevention of heart attacks

3. Hair and Skin Health
As I mentiooned before, cashews are rich in the mineral copper. An essential component of many enzymes, copper plays its part in a broad array of processes. One copper-containing enzyme, tyrosinase, converts tyrosine to melanin which is the pigment that gives hair and skin its color. Without the copper cashews are so abundant in, these enzymes would not be able to do their jobs properly

4. Bone Health
Cashews are particularly rich in magnesium. It's a well-known fact that calcium is necessary for strong bones, but magnesium is as well. A lot of the magnesium in the human body is in our bones. Some of it helps lend bones their physical structure, and the remainder is located on the surface of the bone where it is stored for the body to use as it needs. Copper found in cashews is vital for the function of enzymes involved in combining collagen and elastin, providing substance and flexibility in bones and joints

5. Good for the Nerves
By preventing calcium from rushing into nerve cells and activating them, magnesium keeps our nerves relaxed and thereby our blood vessels and muscles too. Too little magnesium means too much calcium can gain entrance to the nerve cell, causing it to send too many messages and leading to too much contraction/cramping. Magnesium deficiency can lead to raised blood pressure, muscle tension/cramps, migraines, soreness and fatigue. Not surprisingly, studies have demonstrated that magnesium helps diminish the frequency of migraine attacks, lowers blood pressure and helps prevent heart attacks

6. Prevent Gallstones
Data collected on 80,718 women from the Nurses' Health Study demonstrates that women who eat at least an ounce of nuts each week including cashews, have a 25% lower risk of developing gallstones

7. Weight Loss
People who eat nuts twice a week or more are much less likely to gain weight than those who rarely eat nuts. Cashew nuts are relatively high in fat, but it is considered "good fat." This is attributable to the ideal fat ratio in the nut ~ 1:2:1 for saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated respectively, which is recommended by many scientists for optimal health. Having said that, cashew nuts still contain less fat than most other nuts including peanuts, pecans, almonds and walnuts. They are dense in energy and high in dietary fibre, making them a valuable snack for managing weight gain

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Flaxseed oil is far superior. It has the highest natural ratios of omega 3 to omega 6.
With all due respect I diagree with you there. Flaxseed oil is actually not that great when you look into it in a little more detail. Omega 3 is usable straightaway and we can all benefit from taking it, flaxeed oil on the other hand has to be converted in the body before we can utilise it:

dossier-mvo5.gif

Reference: http://www.vettefeiten.nl/en/file-p...fats-and-oils-information-article-omega3.html

When you start looking at what happens to flax in the body you'll notice that flaxseed has very poor EPA conversion of around 10% and ZERO conversion to DHA (DHA is an extremely important omega 3 fatty acid with benefits to the eyes, brain, heart and nervous system). Just to make matters worse, women tend to be more efficient at converting it than men are.

Flaxseed oil primarily contains Omega 3, 6 and 9 (among others such as ALA/LA):

Nutrition Information

Quantity per 100g
Energy3660kJ (875kcal)
Protein0g
Fat, total100g
Saturated Fat8g
Trans fatty acid0g
Polyunsaturated Fat78g
Omega-361g
Alpha linolenic acid61g
Omega-617g
Linoleic acid17g
Monounsaturated Fat14g
Omega-914g
Oleic acid14g
Carbohydrate, total0g
Sugars0g
Sodium2mg
Vitamin E (total tocopherols)9.4mg
Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol equivalents)2.5mg

So to wrap up, a good quality omega 3 is a far more preferable supplement to be taking than flaxseed oil due to most of us initially being very out of balance with our omega ratios. Fish oil is just omega 3 (with the omega 3 fatty acids being EPA/DHA). As I have stated, I firmly believe that omega 3's are more important for overall health as we tend to consume plenty of omega 6 through our diets. Omega 3 is anti inflammatory whereas omega 6 is pro inflammatory, increasing the production of inflammatory chemicals known as eicosanoids.

Hope this makes sense MF.

Last edited:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Flaxseed oil is actually not that great when you look into it in a little more detail. Omega 3 is usable straightaway and we can all benefit from taking it, flaxeed oil on the other hand has to be converted in the body before we can utilise it:

dossier-mvo5.gif

Reference: http://www.vettefeiten.nl/en/file-p...fats-and-oils-information-article-omega3.html

When you start looking at what happens to flax in the body you'll notice that flaxseed has very poor EPA conversion of around 10% and ZERO conversion to DHA (DHA is an extremely important omega 3 fatty acid with benefits to the eyes, brain, heart and nervous system). Just to make matters worse, women tend to be more efficient at converting it than men are.

This flowchart goes into a little more detail whilst still remaining easy to follow:

MetabolicChart.gif

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Salmon has greater levels of omega 6, not omega 3, so once again it is not going to change your ratios.
Any chance you can reference where you have read this? Not saying that's wrong, I would just be interested to read up more regarding the omega ratios present in salmon.

Assuming you are right, even if the omega 6 content outweighs the omega 3 the omega 3 in salmon is the long-chain omega 3 fatty acids EPA and DHA which is precisely what we need to be consuming. For that reason I would still recommend fish over flax MF.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
As for fish? Salmon has greater levels of omega 6, not omega 3, so once again it is not going to change your ratios. Flaxseed oil is far superior. It has the highest natural ratios of omega 3 to omega 6.

I mentioned salmon BECAUSE it's high in omega 6. Modern diets are high in omega 3, and we lack omega 6, which is I said a piece of salmon is better...less calories, higher in EFAs, higher in Omega 6 (the EFA we lack the most) etc.

FLaxseed oil is great too. I would also place that higher in importance when regarding EFAs to nuts.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
crunchy-peanut-butter-10.jpg

Just eat it. Not to be confused with

Last edited by a moderator:
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Here is Lyle McDonald on the subject...

Fish Oils/Essential Fatty Acids
If there is a single nutrient that is almost impossible to achieve adequate amounts of with the modern diet (outside of the handful of people who eat a lot of fatty fish), it’s the w-3 fish oils. In a very real sense, fish oils ‘do everything’ and impact on not only overall health but help to control inflammation, promote fat oxidation, inhibit fat storage and a host of others. It’s a list of benefits that seems almost too good to be true but the research is there.
Due to their general unavailability in the food supply, supplementation is almost necessary and both pills (containing varying amounts of the active EPA/DHA) and liquids are available. Both are acceptable and some people simply prefer the liquids (which can be used on salads or in blender drinks) to pills (which often cause burps).
Years ago, flaxseed oil was suggested as a source of the essential fatty acids as it contains the parent fatty acid that can be converted into EPA/DHA. However, that conversion is exceedingly inefficient in most people (vegetarians appear to be an exception to this for some reason) and I do not feel that flax is an acceptable substitute for fish oil supplementation. I suggest that athletes find an omega-3 fatty acid source that they like and consume it daily (again, consuming cold water or fatty fish is also a possibility).
While little research has examined athletes, I recommend a total intake of EPA/DHA of 1.8-3.0 grams per day. A fairly standard capsule of fish oils may contain 120 mg EPA and 180 mg DHA (300 mg total fish oils) so that daily dose would require 6-10 capsules per day which should be split at least morning and evening (taken with meals).
Higher concentration fish oils are available (at a premium cost) but may be preferred by athletes who don’t like swallowing pills. Again, the goal should be a total EPA/DHA intake of 1.8-3.0 grams per day regardless of how it is obtained.

COntinuing....

Despite the fact that there is no physiological requirement for carbohydrates in the human diet, the most common dietary recommendation in modern times is generally to reduce fat intake and increase carbohydrate intake. I’m going to address the issue starting from that standpoint.
A good question might be why is this stance taken. While I can’t read the minds of these folks (and I hate to contribute to grain lobby USDA conspiracy theories), I think the reasons is actually fairly simple: we have to eat something.
There’s usually a limit to how much protein can be reasonably consumed (and most authorities seem to be against ‘high’ protein intakes as well) so that means that the rest of the diet (in terms of energy) must come from either carbohydrate or fat.
In the 70’s, the stigma against dietary fat started to develop and it all pretty much went from there. Fat was implicated as the cause of heart disease, stroke, obesity, you name it and excessive fat intake was blamed.
Since people have to eat something and because of the general stigma against a high fat intake (some of which is warranted, some of which isn’t), policy makers recommend a high-carbohydrate intake by default.
The bigger question is whether or not this is a scientifically defensible position.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
You can use peanut butter as a healthy fat while dieting. (My favorite..smuckers all natural)I use it all the time when I get cut up and shredded for the summer. Im not saying to use it every single meal, but you can have a couple table spoons with a meal or 2 and be ok. Your body is just going to burn it off anyway why you are carb cycling. I use raw olive oil mostly, but then again, its easy to overdo that too.. Im down to 15g of fat per meal a day right now, and Ill ride that out till the end of august..

Kosher Fried

Kosher Fried

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
mother****in sonofabitch!

what about the Jiffy Naturals? that's what i started getting tons of, but i guess that's all false advertising too

i'm a godamn PB junkie, too

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic