Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Partial Repetitions for powerlifting

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Just curious is there any written strength training programs with partials in them? Serious question not debating I know u guys know ur stuff. And what's a static hold?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
LMAO I'd probably blame the DNP too.

1-5 will provide the stimuli for muscle growth but not to the extent of higher rep work, it will instead cause more strength gains, I think that we agree on. My issue with the wording was that the muscles aren't built up by the weight they are actually damaged by the weight, they are built up by the repair process (yay nutrition). To most this is an insignificant distinction but I've met too many people that thought lifting weights is what makes you grow and think no further about what is actually happening in the body. I would have said something about maximal work being the stimulus for strength gain unlike bodybuilding where high reps are used for optimal hypertrophy.

Aaaaah I see said the blind man as he pissed into the wind. That makes perfect sense, and you're right. Thanks for clarifying.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
static hold is what u can lift off the rack and hold there

their probably are protocols with partials as every strength athlete uses them, they are a big part of westside.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Just curious is there any written strength training programs with partials in them? Serious question not debating I know u guys know ur stuff. And what's a static hold?

I think the static hold is kinda what it sounds like. Do the partial rep, but instead of just banging out the rep, hold it for a given period of time, then put the weight down.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Optimally you will be handed the weight (or lift it off pins) in the top position and hold it there (muscles contracted) for a set time, lowering the weight in a controlled manner at the end of the hold. Mentzer's static hold protocol is pretty well known.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
For me I work the opposite way to increase the sticking point my squat. I'll do bottom up squats or set box squats (at or below parallel) to help increase the weight lifted at the sticking point.

T

TheLawnJanitor

For me I work the opposite way to increase the sticking point my squat. I'll do bottom up squats or set box squats (at or below parallel) to help increase the weight lifted at the sticking point.

Yeah an ol powerlifter showed me a technique similar to that, we would get a set of light dumbells say 40% your max and do the negative slow and then hold tat the bottom for a full 3 count then explode back up, really worked the weakest range of motion (the bottom) so you could push out of the hole, effective with squats as well.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
All this stuff works. I like static hold myself. Seems to make the whole structure stronger and seems to release some kind of governer.

Glyco big thanks for mentioning the static holds... I just got back from the gym after trying these on rack pulls. Pulled 495 and held for 10 seconds. Unbelievable mind-muscle connection. I swear I felt muscle fibers being recruited over time. Like in my traps. The contraction started at the top of em, and quickly moved down them. Awesome stuff!

rocco-x

rocco-x

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2010
i noticed that with squats a few weeks ago POB.i did 2 sets of 315x6 then one set of 325x5.i felt as if i didn't have it in me to do another set at that wght properly so i dropped it down to 275 and repped out as many as i could get,about 15/17 but with really good form.back arched,nice and tight,full one second hold at the bottom,full flex of both thighs as hard as i could at top.that 275 felt easier than i've done it with 225 the same way.of course my legs were fried and yes,all i heard was negative comments from the penut gallery about why so many reps,all from guys who can't spell the word squat.next day after the pump went down i realized in almost 5weeks of doing it like this i measured my legs and put on over and inch overall,calves included.won't post the numbers cause they're embarassing but i went from chicken legs to turkey thighs so far,lol...!

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
Glyco big thanks for mentioning the static holds... I just got back from the gym after trying these on rack pulls. Pulled 495 and held for 10 seconds. Unbelievable mind-muscle connection. I swear I felt muscle fibers being recruited over time. Like in my traps. The contraction started at the top of em, and quickly moved down them. Awesome stuff!

They are exhausting. Tomorrow you'll feel parts of your back you didn't know you have.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010

Back in the days that is what i did too...i would work my sticking points out the power rack ..I would do half sqaut and lots of box squats..But back then box sqauts didnt have a name untill the early 90s...Plus i would do the same for my deadlifts...Work my sticking points out the power rack to help build my sticking points......dw

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
the one video i posted of myself squating with, 700 whatever, breaking the lock in my knee, then went back to 315 for reps, seemed like i had a feather on my back, 1/8 squats work! not to mention the anabolic effect, with a tremendous amount of weight on your shoulders, your body has no choice but to release an array of muscle-building hormones, good post pob!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic