Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Partial Repetitions for powerlifting

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Chad is at the Monolift with 495 on the bar and he’s ready to go. He’s only 170lbs, but his hair-gelled friends from the football team are there and he can’t look like a bitch. Ridiculously huge belt, check; knee wraps, check; knee sleeves over the wraps, check; wrist wraps, check; barbell pad, check – let’s do this! Chad takes a few quick breaths in and out and un-racks the bar. Can’t back out now… And he’s has no choice but to succeed… This isn’t in some cage. In his head runs the fundamentals of heavy squatting, arched low back, tight upper back, push the knees out comin up, ass to grass. He starts his decent to the bottom slowly. He’s a little shaky under all that weight, but overall he’s holding it up well. He feels himself break parallel as always and pushes back up with every ounce of strength he’s got. He feels himself almost defecate it’s so heavy. But low and behold, he racks the weight. He did it, squatted all of it. Fist bumps for all!!!!! Of course if you review the footage it looks like this…

So his squat didn’t go very deep at all… Pathetic in fact. Can’t really call it a squat can you? Maybe not, but those partial squats he is doing are an incredibly powerful training tool for a powerlifter or any trainee looking to increase their poundage in just about any lift.

They aren’t done as haphazardly as the noob in paragraph one of course and there is a methodology to this.

Let’s consider a few basic points:
  1. Partials allow you to overload the muscles (relatively safely)
    1. Facts already in evidence show that max or near max weights allow the muscles to be built up by the weight itself and not by the repetitions as occurs in bodybuilding.
  2. Partials prepare you to lift heavier with a full Range of Motion (ROM)
    1. This concept is pretty simple I think. Squat 315 for 3 reps. Then squat 135 for 3 reps. The 135 is much easier of course as you’re used to the 315. But squatting with that 315 also prepared you to lift the 135 with better form. You hold upper back tightness with ease, chest pushed out and you found it easier to focus on breaking at the hips without breaking at the knees simultaneously (a problem I have L )
  3. Partials make you feel like a real man! Think of it like learning to get psyched up for a lift. You’re going try and move a weight that you simply cannot do on a normal basis with a full range of motion. You usually squat a 1RM of 800lbs, well now you’re going to put 1,000 on your back. It gets you right to the climax of the lift.
Benefits: Established… So here is the how:

The idea is to work in the range just above your sticking point and to overload the muscle and connective tissues. So make use of the rack. Set the safety pins at the appropriate height for your lift to give you the proper partial range of motion and an element of safety. So for a squat you would place the pins so that you’ll have a 3 to 6 inch ROM. Same for bench and OH Press. For deads, rack pulls are generally performed.

Work the weak areas of your ROM as well, but during a separate workout.

Do not let the mind hold you back. If you normally can bench 405, start (after warming up) at 495 or above. You will be amazed at how much stronger you’ll be.

Increase the weights used from one workout to the next. Don’t let it get stagnant. Even if it’s just 20 pounds, add the weight.

Do not use partial training excessively. Every other session is ok; but, try not to extend beyond six months. Like all things, the body will strangely adapt to just about anything and this is just one of many shock techniques out there.

Just another shock principle, but this is a great one, and often forgotten!

----PoB----

Last edited by a moderator:
Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Interesting pob, i saw a video on you tube a guy was doing partials but starting from the bottom off the pins... It was 1000lbs, i thought it was pretty impresive myself but the comments were nothing nice lol... As interesting as all this is im not sure i can bring myself to do partials, i mean the hard part of the squat is at the bottom i just dont see myself having a sticking point up at the top idk maybe im just not advanced enough.....

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
All this stuff works. I like static hold myself. Seems to make the whole structure stronger and seems to release some kind of governer.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
All this stuff works. I like static hold myself. Seems to make the whole structure stronger and seems to release some kind of governer.

What's static hold? Is that a pause at the bottom?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Interesting pob, i saw a video on you tube a guy was doing partials but starting from the bottom off the pins... It was 1000lbs, i thought it was pretty impresive myself but the comments were nothing nice lol... As interesting as all this is im not sure i can bring myself to do partials, i mean the hard part of the squat is at the bottom i just dont see myself having a sticking point up at the top idk maybe im just not advanced enough.....

G the point of partials is that you work above your sticking point. Your 1RM is only as good as your sticking point. But notice how when you get thru the sticking point it is easier????

So start doing these, working ABOVE the sticking point and its almost a guarantee that your 1RM will increase.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
I am personally all about partials, pin press, rack pulls and just about every other method of increase my 1RM. I will not do a partial rep on any type of bench though. If I need to I will use a board or 3 to reduce the distance. I just dont want to get into a habbit of doing partials. I will do 630 Squats as a partial (rep 3/4 down) for 3-4 reps. But I wont call that my max My max is still 575.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
I have used partials almost through all my years of lifting would get shit given to me about it not being full range, so fucking what, eventually I gained the ability to do the weight with a full range of motion and then upped the weight on partials, its called breaking barriers and its a great way to train your body into getting adapted to a particular weight while slowly increasing the range of motion from partial to full range.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
i have used partials almost through all my years of lifting would get shit given to me about it not being full range, so fucking what, eventually i gained the ability to do the weight with a full range of motion and then upped the weight on partials, its called breaking barriers and its a great way to train your body into getting adapted to a particular weight while slowly increasing the range of motion from partial to full range.

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
We use partials to get over sticking points hence the use of rack pulls on the weaker points of your dead (set the pins near your sticking point be it midpoint or lockout). Some concept with board presses but I've never felt a need to use them other than that and don't feel it makes much sense to use them other than on your weak areas of ROM. That being said:

Facts already in evidence show that max or near max weights allow the muscles to be built up by the weight itself and not by the repetitions as occurs in bodybuilding.

Both weight and reps have a roll in causing the damage needed for muscle to grow, all the heavy weight is doing is causing damage (stimuli) which the body then repairs (given enough AAs to do so) with a compensation for the activity if done consistently. I know what you were trying to say but the wording is wrong.

This concept is pretty simple I think. Squat 315 for 3 reps. Then squat 135 for 3 reps. The 135 is much easier of course as you’re used to the 315. But squatting with that 315 also prepared you to lift the 135 with better form. You hold upper back tightness with ease, chest pushed out and you found it easier to focus on breaking at the hips without breaking at the knees simultaneously (a problem I have L )

In my experience that would be ass backwards to the bestway of doing it. An acclimation set of close to the weight you will be using will help prepare you for the heavier weight safely, unracking 315 then dropping to 135 and calling the 315 great as acclimation makes no logical sense to me. 135 feels lighter because it's less than half the weight of 315 if you can do 315 even for a decent partial 135 full ROM should be nothing. You would be better off using a full rom acclimation set to prep for the full rom heavy set. I'm not saying there is no skills transfer between the 2 but just because something has some transfer so to speak does not mean it is the best approach or should be advocated. The acclimation set is important as it gets you ready to drive through the full ROM using similar weight.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
We use partials to get over sticking points hence the use of rack pulls on the weaker points of your dead (set the pins near your sticking point be it midpoint or lockout). Some concept with board presses but I've never felt a need to use them other than that and don't feel it makes much sense to use them other than on your weak areas of ROM. That being said:

Both weight and reps have a roll in causing the damage needed for muscle to grow, all the heavy weight is doing is causing damage (stimuli) which the body then repairs (given enough AAs to do so) with a compensation for the activity if done consistently. I know what you were trying to say but the wording is wrong.

I did actually have a couple paragraphs on partials for reps to cause growth. Working in the 1-5 rep range is not going to get your muscles to grow, but strengthen. I'm not sure how its worded wrong, but what would you suggest it say so I understand better?

In my experience that would be ass backwards to the bestway of doing it. An acclimation set of close to the weight you will be using will help prepare you for the heavier weight safely, unracking 315 then dropping to 135 and calling the 315 great as acclimation makes no logical sense to me. 135 feels lighter because it's less than half the weight of 315 if you can do 315 even for a decent partial 135 full ROM should be nothing. You would be better off using a full rom acclimation set to prep for the full rom heavy set. I'm not saying there is no skills transfer between the 2 but just because something has some transfer so to speak does not mean it is the best approach or should be advocated. The acclimation set is important as it gets you ready to drive through the full ROM using similar weight.

I wasn't trying to make a direct analogy here, only to try and get the reader to understand that if you work heavier than your 1RM in a partial rep scheme, then your previous 1RM won't feel as heavy. In fact now that I've stated that as such, I'm not so sure why I didn't just say it that way the first time... I blame the DNP??? lol

Thanks for your thoughts NutNut, always appreciated. My comments in italics above. :)

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
I used to do partials and as gylco added static holds. I liked to psychologically get a feel for a weight beyond what I could do for even a partial.
I did this on chest movements quite effectively.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
LMAO I'd probably blame the DNP too.

1-5 will provide the stimuli for muscle growth but not to the extent of higher rep work, it will instead cause more strength gains, I think that we agree on. My issue with the wording was that the muscles aren't built up by the weight they are actually damaged by the weight, they are built up by the repair process (yay nutrition). To most this is an insignificant distinction but I've met too many people that thought lifting weights is what makes you grow and think no further about what is actually happening in the body. I would have said something about maximal work being the stimulus for strength gain unlike bodybuilding where high reps are used for optimal hypertrophy.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic