Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Pandemic: our frontline soldiers

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
Seems like we have a fair amount of medical professionals on this board.

This pandemic is our generations big war and these men and women are our frontline soldiers.

THANK YOU!!!

This will be a battle.

Be safe. DO GOOD.

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
War? oook.

Yeah, war.

You familiar? People dying all around you. PTSD?

Most of these folks aren’t going to be accustomed to a critical care/ER environment.

Many folks on the front lines in Italy are 4th and 5th year med school students. Probably have never witnessed a live death. Now they are multiple daily.

War. Oooooooook?!?!

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
You can’t force a cardiologist to be a trauma surgeon and only ER, ICU or PACU RNs are critical care certified. The rest are doing more with less for the walking wounded...but they aren’t being thrust into critical care roles they cannot fill....not yet at least.

Reactions: Jin
Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
You can’t force a cardiologist to be a trauma surgeon and only ER, ICU or PACU RNs are critical care certified. The rest are doing more with less for the walking wounded...but they aren’t being thrust into critical care roles they cannot fill....not yet at least.

Who said anything about force?

People are going to step up. So, thanks in advance!

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Yeah, war.

You familiar? People dying all around you. PTSD?

Most of these folks aren’t going to be accustomed to a critical care/ER environment.

Many folks on the front lines in Italy are 4th and 5th year med school students. Probably have never witnessed a live death. Now they are multiple daily.

War. Oooooooook?!?!

All due respect to our health care professionals on this board and around the country... nobody is trying to kill you while you urgently try to save a life with minutes to work, not days and weeks. On a battlefield in the dirt with whatever equipment you have on your person, not in a hospital with power and water and other supplies. In a country that wants you gone, with people that talk about you in front of you in a language you don’t understand, and still having to do your job because you’re a soldier and you can’t just quit, not in your own town with people you know and freedom to be you and make your own decisions.

I applaud all of our first responders during this time. Just thought there should be some perspective in here.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Who said anything about force?

People are going to step up. So, thanks in advance!
The amount of knowledge and skill, a 2-3yrs ICU or ER nurse has, is more than a 20yr veteran Med-Surg RN. The desire to help can’t bridge the training gap is what I meant.

Reactions: Jin
Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
All due respect to our health care professionals on this board and around the country... nobody is trying to kill you while you urgently try to save a life with minutes to work, not days and weeks. On a battlefield in the dirt with whatever equipment you have on your person, not in a hospital with power and water and other supplies. In a country that wants you gone, with people that talk about you in front of you in a language you don’t understand, and still having to do your job because you’re a soldier and you can’t just quit, not in your own town with people you know and freedom to be you and make your own decisions.

I applaud all of our first responders during this time. Just thought there should be some perspective in here.

It was a metaphorical use of the term war.

I certainly wasn’t trying to take anything away from soldiers on a battlefront.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
My generation has been at war since I was in high school and watched the twin towers fall while in Mr. O’Neill‘s history class. Calling this “our generation’s big war”, at this point, is way too early and dismissive of a real war we’ve been fighting for almost 2 decades. It’s also too early to call it “our generations big wolf cry”, but it may turn out to be that on the flip side.
Again, I appreciate all of those working on this from any and all angles. And I understand and appreciate you giving a shout out to them.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
my area is going to be probably less busy for a bit, so I help where needed.

I’ll be helping screen patients coming in, still think there needs to be more done when people arrive.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I am going out on a limb here. In war you see the guy next you shot in head, another has lost an arm and both legs, he's bleeding out. Sick with a flu-cold in a hospital bed doesn't match the mental state of someone under fire and killing other humans to survive a battle.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I’ve done both and have more PTSD from the ER/Trauma. In war men die alone or with each other but they know the possibility is real.

In an ER that 16yr olds mother is begging you to save her baby while he bleeds out from that car accident.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic