Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Pain!!!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Pain! All who move the Iron know the presence of pain in an intimate way. Some embrace the pain while others shun it. It is the pain which Arnold spoke of in Pumping Iron... the last 2-3 reps that separates the winners from the losers. In my experience, there is a point in every workout, if not on every working set, where you reach the threshold of pain and either turn back or push through the barrier. It is most often felt on leg day... in particular squats. But it's also present every day in the gym as well, in different levels of severity. Those who turn back and retreat when pain confronts them never know the joy on the other side. There is an addictive side to pain that leaves you wanting more. I also know when I am in wuss-mode and shrink back from pain because my mind is not connected to the muscle being worked. It is an empty, cowardly feeling. Today I am going to the gym and my intention is to confront pain and push through to the other side where euphoria waits.

If you were to assess your threshold for pain (not injury) in the gym, where would you place it?

images

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
im a loser as i am generally in the 1-2 category.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
I know what your saying II, legs are a rough one, last week my first working set of leg press I usually can do about 15, I dug deep and got 19, those last 4 reps, there was no thought, no emotion, just darkness, its like going mentally numb, when I finished the set and opened my eyes it was like coming back from some other place, and THEN the pain hit, wow it hurt, but it felt good, and like you I get mad at myself for pussying out during a set, many times I have gotten pissed took a breather and did the set again with a newfound angst to truly punish myself, sometimes those failures drive you harder to be more successful on subsequent sets and workouts.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
im a loser as i am generally in the 1-2 category.
Hopefully more on the 2 side :). I think you may have to go to 3 for your 350# pull...

there was no thought, no emotion, just darkness, its like going mentally numb, when I finished the set and opened my eyes it was like coming back from some other place, and THEN the pain hit, wow it hurt, but it felt good
Yeah that's what I'm talking about!

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
Pain! All who move the Iron know the presence of pain in an intimate way. Some embrace the pain while others shun it. It is the pain which Arnold spoke of in Pumping Iron... the last 2-3 reps that separates the winners from the losers. In my experience, there is a point in every workout, if not on every working set, where you reach the threshold of pain and either turn back or push through the barrier. It is most often felt on leg day... in particular squats. But it's also present every day in the gym as well, in different levels of severity. Those who turn back and retreat when pain confronts them never know the joy on the other side. There is an addictive side to pain that leaves you wanting more. I also know when I am in wuss-mode and shrink back from pain because my mind is not connected to the muscle being worked. It is an empty, cowardly feeling. Today I am going to the gym and my intention is to confront pain and push through to the other side where euphoria waits.

If you were to assess your threshold for pain (not injury) in the gym, where would you place it?

images
If u want euphoria....Stick a rod down your dick hole....Now thats pain....dw

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
no pain no gain right? i hate those stupid cliches but its true.
there's no worse feeling than the depression and hopeless disappointment that sets in after walking away from those last couple reps just because it hurts. 9 times outta 10 i will push through just to avoid that feeling if for no other reason

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
In the gym, a good focused day a 4, tired unmotivated gray day a 3

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
If I dont hit 4 i feel like a pussy. I ALWAYS HIT 4. In fact i tiptoe on the edge of 5 far too often i think. The line between that euphoria and injury can be thin sometimes but that is where the money is made.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
If I dont hit 4 i feel like a pussy. I ALWAYS HIT 4. In fact i tiptoe on the edge of 5 far too often i think. The line between that euphoria and injury can be thin sometimes but that is where the money is made.

The difference between pain and injury usually comes down to form IMO.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Event day is almost always a 4 or 5 no question.Training durng the week it depends on the mood.there are days when I just go through the motions. In competition there are lights on but no one is home. My mind goes blank.No breathing no thinking just doing it all out of instinct .It is a downfall of mine to an extent.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Looking great in the new avi RR :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic