Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Nutrition plan, sound ok?

I

InitialsBB

Jan 2, 2024
I have posted on the "new member" thread and got great feedback, and so now I am looking to get a little more specific info. I am overweight, outta shape, and no longer a spring chicken, however I want to change this. I want to lose 20lbs in 4-5 months. One facet of my plan is to address my diet. I don't "think" I have a bad diet, but then again my body might say otherwise. I work from home and cook all my own meals and wondering if these foods are working for me or against me. Usually for breakfast I will have bacon and eggs, or maybe add some cheese and tortilla for a breakfast taco. I want to say this is fine for breakfast but please correct me if I am way off base here. Lunch and dinner I need to address, I am thinking high protein, low carb and/or some salads. I also want to introduce more water and fiber, but not sure if I am going to do fiber via natural foods or with supplements. Does this sound like a good start? I wanted to avoid shakes and meal preps as I know myself and know it wouldn't be sustainable for me (at least at this time) Am I on the right track, or way off base?

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I would probably stay away from bacon and cheese every day, but it can be done with the right macro set up.

When setting up a nutrition plan, eat foods you can kill, pick or grow. Stay away from processed foods. On the foods you can kill, make sure it is the leanest versions. For example, eat chicken breast or tenderloins and not chicken thighs, eat flank or eye of round and not ribeye, eat pork chops and not bacon.

I

InitialsBB

Jan 2, 2024
Fair enough! I do tend to buy chicken thighs and bake them, but I also like to buy bags of frozen chicken breasts (skinless) and cook those with meals, so to transition to just the breasts is not a big deal for me. I do also have a freezer of pork (my niece does homesteading and I have bought pigs for to raise and butcher, plus I know what she's feeding it) Ok, so stick to leaner meats and cut back on bacon and cheese. Are the eggs ok? I usually eat 1-2 a day ,5 days a week. You wouldn't need to twist my arm to get me to switch to ham and in eggs instead :)

I am trying to cut out processed foods as well, but I probably need to crank that up a bit.

Is there anything I should be eating at dinner time that can help, i.e. eat a large amount of protein or less, more veggies or less? I usually like to eat around 5-6, then fast until morning (7:30-8am)

a-bomb83

a-bomb83

Jan 9, 2024
This could be a very long post lol. The TLDR portion is as stated above, when it comes to the grocery, stay on the outside perimeter. Produce, meats, eggs and full fat dairy.

the only exceptions in the center aisles are rice, spices, and I’m sure there’s some random thing I’m not thinking of.

we also need some personal details regarding height, weight, rough body fat percentage etc. you work from home, so unless you have a standing desk or a treadmill under your desk, I can only assume you’re pretty sedentary. How many steps do you average daily?

4-8oz of meat per meal. 1-2Cups of starch either rice or potatoes, and a tablespoon or so of fat for cooking or healthy fats like avocado or salmon. Also, if you’re a fan of fruits and vegetables to any capacity, none are off limits. Eat as much as you want.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Fair enough! I do tend to buy chicken thighs and bake them, but I also like to buy bags of frozen chicken breasts (skinless) and cook those with meals, so to transition to just the breasts is not a big deal for me. I do also have a freezer of pork (my niece does homesteading and I have bought pigs for to raise and butcher, plus I know what she's feeding it) Ok, so stick to leaner meats and cut back on bacon and cheese. Are the eggs ok? I usually eat 1-2 a day ,5 days a week. You wouldn't need to twist my arm to get me to switch to ham and in eggs instead :)

I am trying to cut out processed foods as well, but I probably need to crank that up a bit.

Is there anything I should be eating at dinner time that can help, i.e. eat a large amount of protein or less, more veggies or less? I usually like to eat around 5-6, then fast until morning (7:30-8am)
A couple eggs a day are fine. Anymore than that, I would switch to liquid egg whites/egg beaters.

Nothing special for dinner unless you are training so hard you need something special. I just try and not eat a ton of carbs, but carbs can also be great if you have a hard time sleeping.

I

InitialsBB

Jan 2, 2024
As for personal details, 6ft, 218 lbs "currently", 49 years old. As for body fat, no idea....going off pictures online, I'd say 20%? Yes, not as active as I was, however I do not sit the whole day, I tend to do things around the house during downtimes at work, and I recently (last few months) started walking 3 miles a night M-F (I use a pedometer app on my phone and get about 3 miles an hour and I walk until I go over 3 miles) On Saturdays I tend to run all my errands and then go to my mothers house to do anything she needs help with (yardwork, groceries, house repairs, etc). In addition, I plan to order some resistance bands for a little strength training to do after the walk (this is my first of babysteps, plus there are some injuries that prevent me from going balls deep into a workout routine) Sundays I do nothing and this on purpose. I have some ideas for foods to re-introduce into my diet, hoping that will help.

As to @genetic freak , I usually eat 1-2 eggs a day, M-F. So looks like not too much. I also avoid a lot of carbs at dinner as this actually tends to make me run hot (body temp wise) and impedes my sleeping.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
As to @genetic freak , I usually eat 1-2 eggs a day, M-F. So looks like not too much. I also avoid a lot of carbs at dinner as this actually tends to make me run hot (body temp wise) and impedes my sleeping.
Don't eat chicken abortions!

As for your plan, run with it and adjust.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
No eggs? Why?
Kind of a running joke with me. I HATE eggs. A best I can do French toast. Funny part is I always have about half to a dozen chickens in my little barn. To add to my fuukupness, I do a big 20x40 veggie garden that I eat almost nothing out of.

Honestly, 2 eggs a day isn't really bad. If you want, do 2 whole eggs and one white. Reduces the fat intake. If you have a dog, mix the unused yoke in his dry dog food.

Let me head this off: For the guy who says, "Don't give a dog uncooked eggs", I have seen my old beagle chew on a roadkill groundhog and wash it down from a muddy puddle so STFU.

I

InitialsBB

Jan 2, 2024
Ahhh! Gotcha! Ok, noted! Yes, I do have a dog and she'll eat almost anything....she's at least 16 and will probably outlive me. Usually when I eat eggs they are scrambled , or are in a breakfast taco, or in a bagel sandwich.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
As for personal details, 6ft, 218 lbs "currently", 49 years old. As for body fat, no idea....going off pictures online, I'd say 20%? Yes, not as active as I was, however I do not sit the whole day, I tend to do things around the house during downtimes at work, and I recently (last few months) started walking 3 miles a night M-F (I use a pedometer app on my phone and get about 3 miles an hour and I walk until I go over 3 miles) On Saturdays I tend to run all my errands and then go to my mothers house to do anything she needs help with (yardwork, groceries, house repairs, etc). In addition, I plan to order some resistance bands for a little strength training to do after the walk (this is my first of babysteps, plus there are some injuries that prevent me from going balls deep into a workout routine) Sundays I do nothing and this on purpose. I have some ideas for foods to re-introduce into my diet, hoping that will help.

Carbs can make you run hot. On my high carb days I will sweat through my clothes at night.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic