Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Non overhead shoulder workouts

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I say fix that impingement and than perform OHP's and variations of it. Do shoulder dislocations aka... stick stretches to get that mobility in your shoulder again and slowly work OHP's back in the mix.

I have serious shoulder issues that require me to perform prehab work 4 or so days a week. Anything upright'ish would cause me a great deal of pain. Not to mention it wouldn't cause the shoulder development that an OHP creates.

I agree with this. Don't do things that hurt, and that there is very little that can replace an OHP in terms of shoulder development.

That said, I wouldn't underestimate the growth one can still get from an incline bench, laterals etc too. Still all important movements.

Lastly, I can no longer free weight OHP, but I can use a machine witout much pain. You could try that as a variation, and I don't think your gains will suffer too much. And besides, any OHP is better than none.

S

stevemc

Nov 19, 2011
Ya I stopped OHP awhile back because of my shoulder pain. Ya I did dislocations yesterday and I cannot believe how good my shoulder feels. It's almost as if the problem is solved but I know it will be different when I pick up weights. Is there a special stick for diss locations I used a broom but I feel like its too short.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Ya I stopped OHP awhile back because of my shoulder pain. Ya I did dislocations yesterday and I cannot believe how good my shoulder feels. It's almost as if the problem is solved but I know it will be different when I pick up weights. Is there a special stick for diss locations I used a broom but I feel like its too short.

No, a broom stick is fine. You want to bring your hands closer and closer as you perform them. There are some other movements you can also perform. IF you do them often like ED, than you'll find that you're able to perform OHP. It'll be a slow process but a worthwhile one.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic