Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Nicklas Lidstrom Retires

GOODFELLAS

GOODFELLAS

MuscleHead
May 24, 2012
DETROIT (AP) -- Nicklas Lidstrom retired Thursday after 20 seasons with the Detroit Red Wings, ending one of the best careers in NHL history.

The four-time Stanley Cup champion and seven-time Norris Trophy winner as the league's best defenseman fought back tears as he made the announcement.

"My drive and motivation are not where to need to be to play at this level," Lidstrom said.

The 42-year-old Swede set an NHL record by playing 1,564 games with a single team. He had put retirement on hold in each of the previous two years by signing one-year contracts.

"I've been dreading this day since I became manager in 1997," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said.
Lidstrom had 34 points and a plus-21 rating that ranked among the league leaders last season. He had 264 career goals with 1,142 points and a 450-plus rating. After being incredibly durable for 19 seasons, he missed a career-high 11 games with a bruised right ankle and was out for another game with the flu.

"That didn't sway me one way or another," Lidstrom said. "A couple weeks after the season is over, you start working out. Once I started doing that I didn't have the push I need and I can't cheat myself."

He plans to move his family to Sweden and hopes to have an off-ice role with the Red Wings.

"Retiring today allows me to walk away with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me," said Lidstrom, whose oldest of four sons went to Sweden two years ago to attend school and play hockey.
Lidstrom was named the NHL's best defenseman last year for a seventh time, matching Doug Harvey's total and trailing Bobby Orr's record by one. When Lidstrom won his final Norris Trophy last summer, he was a finalist for the 11th time in 13 seasons.

si.com

GOODFELLAS

GOODFELLAS

MuscleHead
May 24, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
GOODFELLAS

GOODFELLAS

MuscleHead
May 24, 2012

GOODFELLAS

GOODFELLAS

MuscleHead
May 24, 2012

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
I hate the Red Wings, but much respect to Lidstrom. He was a great hockey player.

GOODFELLAS

GOODFELLAS

MuscleHead
May 24, 2012
Another star the NHL will not be able to replace

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Lidstrom may be the best Defenseman to ever play in the NHL not named Bobby Orr

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Brian Leetch was better.

20 seasons though...is remarkable.

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
To survive 20 years in the NHL, you're one tough athlete. Gotta respect the man.

GOODFELLAS

GOODFELLAS

MuscleHead
May 24, 2012
Him and Bourque have been the best two defenseman i have seen play.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic