Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Newbie here with new bicep tendon rupture

U

uniquetouch

Jan 1, 2023
I’ve been pretty conservative during this recovery. Today is 12 weeks. My PT guy tells me to do anything I want. Just listen to body and don’t do anything that causes more than 4 out of 10 pain. Says occasionally that’s gonna happen and scare ya but it’s normal. Also the machine that I use for curls there is a pulley system and he claims I am curling 32 pounds to handed so 16 pounds on my left repaired arm. Began tricep push downs with 60 pounds. Only doing 3 sets of 10 for each. 8 minutes on level 5 of the sit arm bike machines or
Whatever they’re called. Im
Assuming because it’s very small amount of volume that this is the strengthening part and later on will become endurance building I assume. He also told me to go to
The gym and do anything I want but remember the pain gauge and also that I am basically starting over from as if I never worked out before and starting at the lowest weight building up.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Welcome to the busted bicep club

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I’ve been pretty conservative during this recovery. Today is 12 weeks. My PT guy tells me to do anything I want. Just listen to body and don’t do anything that causes more than 4 out of 10 pain. Says occasionally that’s gonna happen and scare ya but it’s normal. Also the machine that I use for curls there is a pulley system and he claims I am curling 32 pounds to handed so 16 pounds on my left repaired arm. Began tricep push downs with 60 pounds. Only doing 3 sets of 10 for each. 8 minutes on level 5 of the sit arm bike machines or
Whatever they’re called. Im
Assuming because it’s very small amount of volume that this is the strengthening part and later on will become endurance building I assume. He also told me to go to
The gym and do anything I want but remember the pain gauge and also that I am basically starting over from as if I never worked out before and starting at the lowest weight building up.
Honestly, still to this day, my repaired bicep is not as stable or strong as my good bicep. When I do dumbbell movements specific to the bicep, I can tell the difference. Barbell movements not so much. It's been 10+ years since my procedure. It could be in part that I didn't do enough PT or push myself enough. I've also been told due to the severity of my rupture, I'm lucky to be able to do the things I do.

U

uniquetouch

Jan 1, 2023
Honestly, still to this day, my repaired bicep is not as stable or strong as my good bicep. When I do dumbbell movements specific to the bicep, I can tell the difference. Barbell movements not so much. It's been 10+ years since my procedure. It could be in part that I didn't do enough PT or push myself enough. I've also been told due to the severity of my rupture, I'm lucky to be able to do the things I do.
Thank you, the issue im
Having now is a frozen shoulder. It’s getting a little better but still restricting my movements big time. Did you experience anything like that while recovering?

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Thank you, the issue im
Having now is a frozen shoulder. It’s getting a little better but still restricting my movements big time. Did you experience anything like that while recovering?
Not a frozen shoulder or anything like that, but just fear. It was such a traumatizing experience and I was laid up for so long, I just get scared at the slightest twinge. But over time, I have learned to know some of it is just scar tissue and making sure I know my limits. Any time you have an injury the corresponding areas around it often compensate or can be affected.

I have an issue with pain in my forearm. Nobody can put their finger on it. But it's likely because my bicep is not strong enough. I also think some of it comes from where they anchored it and it's just arthritis or something. But went to PT and they actually have had me doing shoulder and rotator cuff exercises.

PT guy basically said, that my forearm is likely taking more than its share of tension and the bicep, well it is what it is. So, he says they will focus on the adjacent muscles. Hence the shoulder work. Which, I kinda thought it's BS, but we will see.

I think with an injury like this, you just have to deal with it, know your limits, and modify. For instance, if something hurts, I don't do it or try something else. I don't deadlift unless with a trap bar or with hook grip (which sucks).

U

uniquetouch

Jan 1, 2023
Not a frozen shoulder or anything like that, but just fear. It was such a traumatizing experience and I was laid up for so long, I just get scared at the slightest twinge. But over time, I have learned to know some of it is just scar tissue and making sure I know my limits. Any time you have an injury the corresponding areas around it often compensate or can be affected.

I have an issue with pain in my forearm. Nobody can put their finger on it. But it's likely because my bicep is not strong enough. I also think some of it comes from where they anchored it and it's just arthritis or something. But went to PT and they actually have had me doing shoulder and rotator cuff exercises.

PT guy basically said, that my forearm is likely taking more than its share of tension and the bicep, well it is what it is. So, he says they will focus on the adjacent muscles. Hence the shoulder work. Which, I kinda thought it's BS, but we will see.

I think with an injury like this, you just have to deal with it, know your limits, and modify. For instance, if something hurts, I don't do it or try something else. I don't deadlift unless with a trap bar or with hook grip (which sucks).
Thank you for that info. I have the same feeling in my forearm. Near the inside edge of the incision. I assume it’s where it is anchored as well. I feel like it has gotten a little better from me increasing the rubbing of my scar and to further out away from it. Maybe the nerve is scarred over? Who knows. Inside forearm to wrist still has the numbness. Hopefully that subsides eventually. How long did you wait to begin working out? What kind of weigh and reps and amount of exercises for each body part? Not planning on doing any for another couple of months

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Thank you for that info. I have the same feeling in my forearm. Near the inside edge of the incision. I assume it’s where it is anchored as well. I feel like it has gotten a little better from me increasing the rubbing of my scar and to further out away from it. Maybe the nerve is scarred over? Who knows. Inside forearm to wrist still has the numbness. Hopefully that subsides eventually. How long did you wait to begin working out? What kind of weigh and reps and amount of exercises for each body part? Not planning on doing any for another couple of months
I did the PT and all that, but I was really methodical with the bicep stuff. I would definitely go light when you do begin. Mine was pretty severe. There was not only a rupture of the tendon but there was a bicep rupture as well. Like anything it just takes time. I would definitely focus right now on ROM. The other stuff will come with time. The body heals. And with healing you get scar tissue. That part can be an issue.

U

uniquetouch

Jan 1, 2023
Second day back to work. I have a small lawn care business and asphalt sealing repair business. Mainly owner operated currently. I tried weed whacking today for the first time. Weed whacker weighs about 11 pounds with fuel. Majority of the weight is held with my I operated arm. Can weed whack pretty good. It’s not until I want to flip the weed whacker to edge with it that stops me bc it’s all the operated arm holding it. I tried it a couple times but made me nervous was just really weak. I’m wondering to the guys that had this surgery. Before how long was it until you got your strength back to a level that was at least good for everyday life and work. Scares me bc I need to hopefully get back to
Somewhat normal at some point. I do small asphalt patch work with raking asphalt and compacting it and wheel narrowing some and even wheel barrowing mulch or top soil. Makes me nervous that I may never be able to do these things again.

U

uniquetouch

Jan 1, 2023
what’s up guys. Just made it the beginning of week 16. Just did chest today for the first time. Well a few exercises just to go through the motion really. Did pec Deck with 30lbs 3 sets of 25. Smith machine bench with 25lbs on each side. 3 sets of 10. Sit down smith machine for incline and decline bench. 25 lbs on decline machine and 20lbs on the incline. 3 sets of 10. That’s all I did. Left arm which is the operated arm was shaky but able to do it. I just went really slow and try to contract my chest so hopefully I was doing something.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I fractured my right femur back in 2010, pin, and never been the same. Till this day it is very slow to build mass.
Probably caused nerve damage. I had my rt hip replaced and the surgeon caused damage to the nerve in my rt thigh to the point I could not feel anything or use my rt leg for almost 6 mo. Works fine now but the nerve damage caused my booty to shrink and looks like an old mans ass. Freakin disgusting. I've tried everything even squats but the pain it caused in my hips was unbearable so I had to stop. So now I'm saving up to have a plastic surgeon make it right.

U

uniquetouch

Jan 1, 2023
what’s up guys. Just made it the beginning of week 16. Just did chest today for the first time. Well a few exercises just to go through the motion really. Did pec Deck with 30lbs 3 sets of 25. Smith machine bench with 25lbs on each side. 3 sets of 10. Sit down smith machine for incline and decline bench. 25 lbs on decline machine and 20lbs on the incline. 3 sets of 10. That’s all I did. Left arm which is the operated arm was shaky but able to do it. I just went really slow and try to contract my chest so hopefully I was doing something.

U

uniquetouch

Jan 1, 2023
Probably caused nerve damage. I had my rt hip replaced and the surgeon caused damage to the nerve in my rt thigh to the point I could not feel anything or use my rt leg for almost 6 mo. Works fine now but the nerve damage caused my booty to shrink and looks like an old mans ass. Freakin disgusting. I've tried everything even squats but the pain it caused in my hips was unbearable so I had to stop. So now I'm saving up to have a plastic surgeon make it right.
The inside of my left hand is like that. Shriveled

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic