Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Newbie alert!!! All advice welcome :)

S

Stubbsybabe

Jun 19, 2011
Ok, so here I am, right at the beginning of my body transformation journey and feeling a little bit overwhelmed at how knowledgeable you all seem to be - but hoping I can learn from you all to find out what's best for me!! So, I'm a 5'10" lady, weigh 160 pounds with a bmi index of 23 (yes, I am a very new beginner!!!) and after randomly pottering around the gym for 6 months to get the feel of things, I then started strength training which has really helped kickstart the change in body shape - and I've just started to get that diet is a big part of the process - so what's the next best step?? Continue strength training, introduce cardio, work different muscles on different days or try and get a full body workout in on 1 session??? What are good family fav meals, do I cut calories first to loose fat or eat more to build muscle or vice versa???? So many questions and I would love to here how everyone else got started and how you manage to fit training in between work, kids, family etc - after reading so many different books/articles etc I just feel completely confused as to the best step forward - thanks, in anticipation of all your help and knowledge :eek:)

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Welcome to TID.

Why don't you post up your current routine and diet and I am sure the fine people here will be able to help you meet your goals.

S

Stubbsybabe

Jun 19, 2011
Ok, routine wise the last several weeks have been :
Routine A - squat(with 10kg dumbells) 15reps, 3sets
Push ups 15 reps, 3 sets
Seated row (37.5kg) 15 reps, 3 sets
Step up (10kg dumbells) 20 reps, 3 sets
Prone jackknife 20 reps, 3 sets

Routine B. Deadlift (10 kg dumbells) 15 reps, 3 sets
Dumbell shoulder press (9kg dumbells) 15 reps, 3 sets
Wide grip lat pull down 40kg 10 reps, 3 sets
Lunge (9kg dumbells) 10 reps, 3 sets
Swiss ball crunch 20 reps 3 sets

It's been a great starting point for me and have noticed quite a difference in about 2 months. It would probably help to know I'm trying to build muscle, especially upper body and get lean(ish)!!
My diet has to be family friendly but eat clean as often as possible, around 1900 calories a day x

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
it is great to have you join us! welcome to the iron den!

5'10" 160#, you must have a slight build. im jealous :D there is nothing that you cant get accomplished if you set your mind to it. i work and have 2 small moncher and i make it to the gym for an hour atleast 4 days a week. it doesnt take a bunch of time, it just takes determination to get what you want.

why not start a thread in the ladies forum on what your goals are and where you currently are in regards to them and you will get some great help and information. start basic and then we can build from there.

really looking forward to getting to know you better! glad you have you here!

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
I am glad you are here; and glad to hear you are doing some strength training to build muscle--and glad to hear that it is working for you. Sounds like you are getting very good results in a short time period. I love the fact that you are doing lots of compound movements--squats, deadlifts, pushups, etc. in your workout. Congratulations and keep up the good work!

S

Stubbsybabe

Jun 19, 2011
Yep, I do actually prefer these kind of moves so think I'm just going to try different variations of them rather than do something different all together. Thinking Bulgarian split squats, reverse lunges and adding in some planking (although not in random places, like a bus stop, which seems to be the craze at the minute - I shall confine my planking to the gym, :-D) Will see how it goes!!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
LOLOL it does seem to be some weird and random thing, the plank! odd the places people will do it just to say that they planked! :rolleyes:

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
How is your daily protein intake ?

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
What's your current diet look like? Diet is always the best place to get started. When the diet is on is when the magic happens.

Oh yea and welcome to TID, looking forward to following your progress

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
Welcome to TID! Good luck with your goals!

S

Stubbsybabe

Jun 19, 2011
Admittedly, the diet is a bit haphazard at the moment!! Breakfast is usually porridge with banana and cinnamon then a snack of rice cake and ham or peanut butter and apple. Lunch will be poached egg on toast then another snack (ref pepper and hummous) then tea salmon, sweet potato and salad or chicken and quinoa. I have a protien drink after my work outs and then another snack before bed - usually malt loaf. Not the ideal diet, but it used to be a LOT worse (alas, gone are the days of pizza, takeaways and chocolate :-() The above foods are the easiest adaptable for the other's in the household!!

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Welcome to TID, thanks for joining.

I have no Idea what malt loaf is, but it might be a desired taste. A good snack before bed is a protein shake.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic