Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

New to the game!

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Welcome & I'm so excited you're finding lifting at your age and have a goal for it all. You're also hitting all the solid PL stuff up front. These will always be your foundation lifts - they are full body, functionally correct and the basis for everything.

I always worry when people say they are going "low carb" - low carb is great, but you can't keep it "low" forever w/o stalling out. If you plan to explicitly do a ketogenic diet (fats/proteins), then do that - the whole point of a keto diet is to remove carbs from your diet and allow your body to switch over to ketones as its primary energy source. (Different discussion so I"m not going to deviate from the topic here.) Because you're lifting the big lifts, I dont' want to get sidetracked w/ trying to change your diet to keto. (if you are interested, on your own time you can researc "Cyclic ketogenic diet - CKD ).

I know you are busy and I dont' want to suggest that you calorie count everything, But rather get a good sense of how many cals you're currently consuming and what they are made of - the macro nutrients - proteins / fats / carbs. Can you enter the portions in the diet you listed above into a food counts program like FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal. Its free, online, easy to use, You enter a single day's meal plan and reasonably accurate portions to get the full calorie count and macronutrient breakdown. This way you KNOW what you're eating instead of eyeballing it.

The problem w/ "low carb" and never doing refeeds, is that your body wants to use carbs (glycogen) as its primary energy source. You're lifting PL style and doing cardio twice / day. If you're not giving your body enough fuel to do this, it will turn on itself and start consuming muscle as well. It will also slow down metabolism to conserve the energy sources it knows it has (i.e bodyfat). Instead you'd rather give your body exactly how much it needs to run, and it will use it, with protein to increase muscle mass. As you increase muscle mass, you decrease bodyfat and you also burn fat more efficiently, so you can actually eat more and still burn fat. But finding that optimal amount is the secrete. The important thing, though, is that you're giving it at least enough to do what you want.

Once I see what you're eating and the numbers on it, I'm probably going to suggest you try a carb rotation / carb cycle.

Also in using fitday.com, you can use it to build diets "on paper" to find ways to get to the right amount to get in your calories. This saves you from the perpetual tracking calories because instead you have a pretty good idea of what you're eating if you know the numbers on it, and you can plan ahead instead of after the fact. Its very useful to have a real idea of what certain foods are in terms of cals , carbs , proteins , fats if you're ballparking.

C

Clauds_19

Jan 28, 2012
AllTheWay-yes, being bottom heavy has been a worry for me, i don't want a lean body with huge hips. And i agree with you about how i need to make it a complete lifestyle change, that was the decision i made when i started. Am not going to do any silly diets, just going to eat clean and lean. i won't ever starve myself, i always have some nuts or seeds on me to have as a snack. I am definitely going to get my fat checked, then as long as i use the same method each time i do it i can see which direction i am heading.

Thanks again

C

Clauds_19

Jan 28, 2012
hey, thanks for the message. Some really great stuff there. Going low carb or not has been a difficult decision to make, obviously i am completely new to training and want to build some strength and muscle, but also losing fat is the main issue for me at this stage, so i think i am going to slightly increase carbs and just cycle them before and after training and also with my 1st meal.

Right, just been on the fit day site, what a great site it is :) so roughly this is what i will be taking in each day

cals 1,181

fat 51.1

carbs 145.1

protein 196.1

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
hey, thanks for the message. Some really great stuff there. Going low carb or not has been a difficult decision to make, obviously i am completely new to training and want to build some strength and muscle, but also losing fat is the main issue for me at this stage, so i think i am going to slightly increase carbs and just cycle them before and after training and also with my 1st meal.

Right, just been on the fit day site, what a great site it is :) so roughly this is what i will be taking in each day

cals 1,181

fat 51.1

carbs 145.1

protein 196.1

So your carbs actually look decent. I always want to know what "low carb" means to people. However I think your overall cals are too low. For comparision I'm 5'7" and I compete around 150 on stage. I've regularly been able to cut down t' 6-7% bodyfat on a carb cycle w/ total cals of 1750. If your cals are too low, eventually all you do is starve. More specifically, your body does two things - it slows down metabolism to preserve the energy sources it knows it has (i.e. bodyfat) and also starts consuming your muscle as well, which really just increases your overall bodyfat percentage. I would get your cals up to closer to 1700-1800 at least. Then you can carb cycle within that total amount of calories & still get enough, You'll also see significant increase in your lifts because right now you are just seriously undereating.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011

cals 1,181

fat 51.1

carbs 145.1

protein 196.1

Is there a typo with the cals?
Adding it up its closer to between 1800 and 1900 cals... which actually seems right, for your body comp

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Is there a typo with the cals?
Adding it up its closer to between 1800 and 1900 cals... which actually seems right, for your body comp

I'm hoping this is a typo! The grams look good but the total cals seem way off. I had to run out the door earlier, but hopefully the OP can clarify. If 18-1900 cals is correct, this is MUCH better and you will see the impact of this in a dramatic way in upcoming lifts & energy levels!

C

Clauds_19

Jan 28, 2012
Am sorry, it was ment to be 1,818 I obviously didn't check what I put, my boyfriend said I had to be over 1,600 so I knew if anything below would be wrong, so diet seems good, my training is steadily picking up. Still working on some techniques. But I am am not going to give up. How long did it take you women to feel comfortable with weights in the gym?

Thanks again for the help

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Am sorry, it was ment to be 1,818 I obviously didn't check what I put, my boyfriend said I had to be over 1,600 so I knew if anything below would be wrong, so diet seems good, my training is steadily picking up. Still working on some techniques. But I am am not going to give up. How long did it take you women to feel comfortable with weights in the gym?

Thanks again for the help

Depends on the lifts personally and already established habits of holding my body, the ones that are more easily picked up are the ones that coincide with current habits, things that feel unnatural are obviously harder.

As far as just being comfortable in a gym atmosphere I still have moments of insecurity even though I have an amazing gym and have lost over 100lbs there, always good and bad days.

Making time with a busy schedule is super hard as many of us know all too well, but starting now will be a life long amazing thing for you to have. Keeping a goood cheat meal in there weekly unless you're almost to show time will help a ton and allow you easier social eating.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
The lifts come w/ practice. If you think in terms of what muscles you are recruiting and visual them engaging, this helps me a lot w/ isolation of the right things. For ex, I have a hard time getting the same DOMS in my chest as I do in other parts of my body, dunno why - this is w/ very heavy lifts. So here I especially focus on getting the right things to contract and I feel it later.

This is a great site for associating the lifts w/ the muscle groups: Exercise & Muscle Directory

This whole site is great if you want to spend time looking around. Another good site is stumptuous.com - its a bit different - more blogger type but you might find it interesting to read - it was started by a girl who wanted to learn how to lift. I came across it several years ago.

RE: getting comfortable in the gym. The people there who 'get it' will respect anyone who comes in and wants to do it & do it right. I still find myself rolling my eyes at the women I see picking up a set of pink weights and doing every possible exercise you an imagine w/ them. But I suppose you gotta start somewhere. The people who are assholes in the gym, are assholes in life. And most likely they are wannabe w/ more ego than strength. Forget them. They are just future cases for your local physical therapist. On a side note, the other thing that separates the wannabes from the serious are those who follow good gym etiquette. I.e. put away your plates. This is a huge thing w/ me, and IMO it shows if you respect your environment or not, and frankly, whether you are too weak to actually put away your stuff after a lift. If you are there to get down to business, the rest of the place is irrelevant. Anyone giving you a reason to not be comfortable in the gym is a miserable bastard and they just have to live w/ themselves, so no sweat off your brow. You'll find your comfort zone as you go, and the lifts will come as second nature to you. Welcome to the new lifestyle!

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I have to agree with previous posters, and say welcome! One of the biggest pet peeves I have is people not putting the plates up when they are finished...yes, I can pull 45lb plates off the bar to do my squats...but I hate to have to clean up after the posers who do not care about anybody but themselves...always always put things back where they are supposed to be and everything will be fine :) I have reached an age where I really do not care what anybody thinks about me...heck, I was doing bridges with a barbell across my hips this morning and there was a stunned silence across the gym...but I really don't care what they think LOL. If they were working out instead of standing around gawking they wouldn't even notice ;)

Keep your motivation up and keep at it, the comfort with the lifts takes some time but you will get there. The more you practice and focus on form, the easier it will be.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
I have to agree with previous posters, and say welcome! One of the biggest pet peeves I have is people not putting the plates up when they are finished...yes, I can pull 45lb plates off the bar to do my squats...but I hate to have to clean up after the posers who do not care about anybody but themselves...always always put things back where they are supposed to be and everything will be fine :) I have reached an age where I really do not care what anybody thinks about me...heck, I was doing bridges with a barbell across my hips this morning and there was a stunned silence across the gym...but I really don't care what they think LOL. If they were working out instead of standing around gawking they wouldn't even notice ;)

Keep your motivation up and keep at it, the comfort with the lifts takes some time but you will get there. The more you practice and focus on form, the easier it will be.

This is me. The day I decided to stop feeling like I had to apologize for myself for something I don't even know what it was, was the day I established the "If you don't like it, don't fuckin' look at it" approach to live. Very liberating, indeed!

Also, if you step back and spend 10 seconds looking at the people around you, you'll notice that at any given moment, probably 80% of the people in the gym are doing something goofy.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic