Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

New obesity drug cuts off the blood to your fat supply

gentao

gentao

MuscleHead
May 16, 2011
News about anti-obesity drugs is pretty common, but many of them never make it past the testing stage in rodents. Now, a new fat-fighting drug has passed the primate test: it's proven to be successful with obese rhesus monkeys. It just might be appropriate for us, too.
Most obesity drugs either ramp up metabolisms to burn through fat, or make us feel less hungry in the first place. This new drug, dubbed Adipotide, instead goes after the fat already there. It homes in on the surface of blood vessels that supply the adipose, the white fat in your body, and uses a synthetic peptide to trigger cell death. By cutting off the blood supply, the fat cells are cut free and metabolized.

Over the period of four weeks of treatment, the obese monkeys dropped 27 percent of their abdominal fat, and became notably less insulin resistant. Monkeys that were already thin didn't shed pounds at all, meaning it might only target extra weight, not the stuff we need to survive.

Out of all the recent attempts at weight-loss drugs, this one looks the most like it might have potential to go all the way. Now we just have to wait to hear the horrible, horrible side-effects that won't come to light until after it hits the market.

A Peptidomimetic Targeting White Fat Causes Weight Loss and Improved Insulin Resistance in Obese Monkeys

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
sounds WAY too good to be true. there has to be something terribly dangerous about this.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I agree it sounds dangerous .

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
I'd be involved in a human trial of this if approved for human research.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
cant wait for our resident chemists and peptide experts to chime in on this

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
I'm skeptical of this....if it really worked I dont think the pharm co's would sell it. Waaay more $$$ in treating obesity diseases like diabetes, heart disease etc etc than the profits to be made from this.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
I'm skeptical of this....if it really worked I dont think the pharm co's would sell it. Waaay more $$$ in treating obesity diseases like diabetes, heart disease etc etc than the profits to be made from this.
just like the cure for hiv and cancer...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic