Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

New Member - Women lift??

R

ranikki123

Jun 13, 2016
Just started lifting 1 month ago! I am a REAL 'Newbie' and Im cheap so not planning on hiring a trainer... which is why I am on here. I have been working out for about 10 years off and on...

Being a woman I was always told to stay on the cardio machines.. AND to stay away from the weights or you might bulk! Well now I am calling BULLSHIT! Im LIFTING!!

I have some experience working with weights I have worked with PT's, done group classes, worked out with boyfriends, ect.. so I have some working knowledge of what to do.

Heres my plan:

At this point I am utilizing the machines... doing 10-15 reps x2 sets - full body workout - 3x per week (cardio 2x per week) with some dumbbell squats and deadlifts thrown in.

I believed what everyone told me and was scared to lift bc i didnt want to gain.. But im tired of being thin and flabby I want to be fit, healthy and tone! In the last month I have lost 3lbs and have lifted 3x per week until burn out as best i can.

Any tips or relating experiences are appreciated!

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Welcome. I agree. Lifting should be in everyones routine. Good luck!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Congrats on not lifting to the ignorant masses out there. Keep doing what you're doing and in time you'll decide which direction you'd like to really focus on and then you can tweak your training to help get you there.

Bigherm21

Bigherm21

Apr 12, 2012
I've been lifting a long time and still look like a middle school cheerleader. That's bullshit and hate when people say "don't lift you'll look like a man".

Welcome to the den

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
squats...lots of squats! welcome to TID

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I've been lifting a long time and still look like a middle school cheerleader. That's bullshit and hate when people say "don't lift you'll look like a man".

Welcome to the den

Really? I just resemble a preteen girl. I don't think I'm in good enough shape to make the squad.

Welcome ranikki

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Welcome to TID, thanks for joining. Good luck on your journey. My advice to you is make sure you know the exercises and correct form and speed. Might help hiring a trainer if need be.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
WELCOME to the insanity.....
HIGHLY recommend getting a trainer.

What are your goals? What can you commit? What do you want out of this journey---aside from it making you awesome in ways you'll only slowly realize? I think trying to put these on paper is a good first step in determining the type of trainer that you will need, your programming, your diet, etc.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Really ? People actually told you because you are a woman you need to stay on the cardio machines?
People still talk to others like that?
Agree with Tenacious . get your goals in check and make it happen. Get off the machines and get moving with free weights.
Find a good training partner and utilize credited you tube videos.

You can always video yourself and throw up a log for critique on form and get you going on the right path

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic