Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

New hurdles to cross after years of training. Staying injury free

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I have quite a few years under my belt in the gym. Recently I have found that it is harder and harder to recover properly from working out. I also found I am picking up more 'nagging' injuries. Some may say this is just age, but I do not think that is the core issue. I attribute it the combination of two things.

1) Getting to the point where I am moving fairly heavy weights.
2) Getting to this point while neglecting mobility and flexibility work.

I really see it as a combination of these two. Prior to really pushing for maximum weights, I neglected mobility and flexibility work and never really had issue. Now that I have developed strength to fairly decent levels, I am finding limits in my flexibility are leading to injury and strain. I believe had I not neglected these, I would not be suffering the issues I have now. Overall, my flexibility has gotten terrible over the past two years. All the training and little to no stretching, has left me MUCH tighter then I have ever been. Add this to being the strongest I have ever been, and it is a recipe for disaster.

I have been looking into this and decided that I really need to work specifically on mobility work and flexibility. I plan on dedicating time every day to work my tight areas. I also plan on incorporating massage. My chiro has used the "ART" technique to break up scar tissue before and it has worked very well for me. Basically you are stretching while specific areas are massaged or point pressure is applied. It can be very painful, but quite effective. Only downside is my new health insurance no longer covers my chiro (used to cover 100%).

In researching ways to do deep tissue and "ART" at home, I remembered this machine at my old gym about 20 years ago. It was an archaic looking device with rollers that spun. I can remember how well it worked and thought with some modifications, you could use it on the whole body. Snooping around, I found some on the internet.

It is called a "vitamaster vmrl-14". Here is a pic

il_570xN.252865375.jpg

And a vid of one in action

I found one on ebay and bought it.
Originally they were marketed to reduce womens cellulite :) as well as circulation and general 'vitality' issues. I can remember how intense the massage on the hamstrings was when you sat on it. That brings up the first issue. I plan on modifying mine with a variable speed motor controller. I think for this to be effective you really have to be able to slow it way down. I ordered a AC variable speed motor controller. (They sell them to bring down the speed of routers in woodworking). It has not got here yet. I am also contemplating making a new enclosure for it. One that would provide the ability to use it in several different orientations. I think if done right, it can be used for the whole body.

I will update as I progress with this idea, but I was just throwing it out there. Kinda nuts, but I am sick of feeling so damn tight all the time. I can only ask my wife for so many back rubs. She has long lost sympathy for my aches and pains that I inflict on myself willingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
This is an awesome idea. Agreed on the spouse not having sympathy.
I use a rolling pin on my hams and quads

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Good to see I am not alone in this. I am going to tear down the roller today and look to rebuild the enclosure. (the one I get is beat up a little).

I am also going to see if I can add a mount to the bottom out of 2" square stock that will allow me to affix the roller on to my Ironmaster superbench. This would allow me to adjust the height from head level, down to floor and I also could orient it facing horiz or vert. This should really make it easier to do shoulders and upper back as well as arms.

Looks like a fun little project :) Needless to say.....I HAVE to do something.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Wow. You really are a Macgyver, aren't you. When done, send pics, please.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Well......been working on my project all weekend. I totally scrapped the original enclosure and just about everything except the original rollers. I sanded and applied black stain the the rollers and put satin poly on them. (Paint would have worn off quickly). I built a new enclosure out of 3/4 birch cabinet plywood which I then painted.

The motor and counter shaft were the tough part. One of the old bronze bushing on the counter shaft had worn through....it ended up cutting through steel frame and messed up the whole shaft. (metal on metal wear). I found a bushing to replace and re made the brackets for the counter shaft. With some 1/2" round stock, I just made a new shaft.

Here it is all together..... Cant wait to put it to use!

2013-09-01173407_zpsb16e81e5.jpg

2013-09-01173416_zps7c4d162a.jpg

K

Kätzchen

TID Lady Member
Sep 3, 2013
Ok, this is just brilliant...

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
I wish I was capable of doing things like this. A great idea and could be marketable!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic