Members
Latest Member
jacobss

My trip to the Sweatt Shop and SPF Pro/Am

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Last Thursday my wife and I drove 10 hrs to train at the Sweatt Shop in Cincinnati Ohio. If you don't know of the Sweatt Shop than you are not likely a Pler. To sum up the gym, it is a West Side training center where some of the best Plers are made. Laura the owner is the world's strongest women as well as the nicest. Her husband Shane is equally as brilliant and cool.

Fortuantly for me I had a VIP pass as the guest of a lifter there I met off the boards who invited us out. I had never met him before, but by the end of the weekend we were the best of friends and look forward to going back.

Anyway, we arrived Thursday night and met our hosts then Friday we left for weigh ins at the SPF Ironman Pro/Am then out for pancakes with some strong mothers. After breakfast had setteled we headed for the Sweet Shop to spot a friend and to give Hawk a real education. Upon arrival, I fell in love with this tiny weight ridden gym with two pit bulls roaming the gym. I was intoduced to Shane and Laura who was squatting 8 plates plus bands. She was super nice and genuine. I worked in with other lifters between spotting and knee wrapping. It was three of the best hours I could have spent as a potential Pler.

On Saturday I attended the pro/am where my hosts 17 year old son set a multi ply squat record of 610 lbs. I was allowed into the back room where I was often put to work pulling off briefs and running the mono lift. I didn't mind one bit, I enjoyed it all as well as gaining enough confidence to try one on my own.

Saturday night after the meet the whole gang went out to dinner and it felt like we were with old friends. My wife who is a true introvert said, I have never felt so welcome around people I hardly know. These guys are a true family and invited us in.

Sunday morning we said our good byes and where extended an invite to return anytime. One which we plan to take up soon.

All in all a great weekend, thanks Sweatt Shop.

Hawk

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
Sounds like a great weekend CH!

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
cool story man...happy you got to experience this.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Thats what it is all about. Sounds like the coffees of the north

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Wow sounds like an excellent time !

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
Very cool man. Thanks for sharing.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Damn I'm jealous!!!! I am a huge fan of Laura's...

Thing is Hawk - that atmosphere is typical of power lifting gyms and meets. We all have a common goal or a common enemy. We've all had that sticking point. We all need a spot.

That attitude is what really solidified my desire to continue competing in power lifting.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I love the barbell community. Great post CH.

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
now CH, you will be motivated to get ready for that meet

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Damn I'm jealous!!!! I am a huge fan of Laura's...

Thing is Hawk - that atmosphere is typical of power lifting gyms and meets. We all have a common goal or a common enemy. We've all had that sticking point. We all need a spot.

That attitude is what really solidified my desire to continue competing in power lifting.

I realize that now for sure. Nearly everyone wants to see those around them succeed. My only regret is that I wont have such a good group supporting me. Oh well, I can always go back.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
now CH, you will be motivated to get ready for that meet

Your right OldPLer, I now have the confidence that I am training correctly as they really modified my technique is the squat and dead, but also compete. After last weekend I now have a base to work from and some folks I can ask for help.

Hawk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic