What's New?

My lats suck!

Z

zedhed

Oct 4, 2010
So here is what I do.
45° bent over rows.
Single arm Dbl rows.
I have tried pull ups but they didnt seem to help much either.
I workout at home so do not have access to pull downs but am trying to think of a way to make that happen.
When I did pull ups would use a neutral grip and get in 50 reps any way I could.
When I do single arm rows I have to kind of curl my side that Im working to feel it in my lats. Think of laying on the floor on your side then curling up to raise your upper bod off of the floor.

So what works for you guys that have nice winging lats?

K

-KB-

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2010
My lats didn't really grow until I started doing pullups. Try a wider grip and add weight if necessary.

ProteinFarts

ProteinFarts

Apr 7, 2014
pull ups and deadlifts are prob the two best in my opinion

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
Pull downs, all variations of rows, free weight and cables. they won't gro on anything until you learn mind muscle connection with them, then everything will help. For me, lat pull downs with strict form are mandatory. Pull ups help as well, shoulder width or a tad closer are best IMO.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Pull downs, hammer strength pull downs, hammers strength seated rows, dumbell bent rows, cable rows and pull ups, at least 4 sets of each.\
Pull with the LATS not the arms as stated above mind muscle connection.
You will not need to train forearms ever and bi's rarely if you do these excercises.
Enjoy

Z

zedhed

Oct 4, 2010
Oh yeah I do the dead lifts.
But sounds like pull ups and pull downs are pretty much mandatory.
Need to figure out a way to do pull downs at home.
Would assisted pull up cover for pull downs after I fry out on body weight pull ups?
I could use my jump stretch bands for assist.

Hammer strength pull downs are a rotary motion correct, as opposed to a str8 pull down from directly overhead?

A

ak4777

Nov 2, 2013
Go to absolute failure train heavy keep it basic elbows in peak contractions. Explode on the pull let down slow and strict. One arm rows are gd. Get a pre workout boost to push yourself espresso is gd. Rows pulldowns pullups deadlifts. Absolute failure. Destroy them.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Under hand close grip pull downs

Under hand close grip bent over rows

Under hand close grip pull ups ( i rarely do wide grip anymore )

Once i changed my grip to underhand and brought my grip in close, i noticed better results in my lats. Plus i used high reps when training them and in between sets i will stretch them. I know some dont believe in stretching them but im a believer.

Tony Freeman put up a video on under hand work for his lats some years back, wish i could find it.

Last edited:
Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Pulldowns are a luxury for home workouts. Buy a set of Kilo Bands or some other tested resistance bands. Hook your foot in one and do a medley of chins and pulls. Snatch grip to start and work in towards the close neutral grip. Shoot for 100 and work with less assistance (bands) till you can get 100 body weight pull-ups. Once you can handle 100 easy, move up to 125reps. They will grow you just gotta work them with no yanking and no swaying back.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
I put a bar over the rafters in my garage and presto! a chin bar. ok..you really didn't specify what sucks about your lats so I will just tell ya this
Chins, rows and deads are A great combo, one of the best for building thick wide lats.

5 sets of chins till failure..you can do the Arnold tip i always suggest, as long as your shoulders are ''good'' do as many sets as you have to to reach 50 reps, each week or so you may knock off a few set, but you will progress
plain old barbell rows, 4 sets should be good
deads, hit 'em with 4-5 sets..
good luck!!

gotclen

gotclen

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2011
Over and under grip chins. If body weight is easy then lats won't change.
Hold a db between your feet. Or rig a chain into your weight belt and add a 25# plate.
Once you can't complete the rep. Slide a platform over to the bar and knock out 6 killer negatives
just hold as long as you can till you stretch to the bottom, back on platform resiste the negative.
=== growth. Work

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic