What's New?

MT2

• Thread starter The other Snake
  • Start Date
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Since I have spent a lot of time in the sun, I make it a point to get to the dermatologist once a year for a check up. During our chat, I mentioned that I use MT2 each summer and have for the last 6 years. At first, she had a look on her face that said she had no idea what that was. I asked if she knew what I was talking about; didn't get a yes. I said it helps to increase the melanin. She said that can cause skin cancer.

Everything I have read about MT2 has either said there's no link to skin cancer and could possibly help to prevent skin cancer. The only negative information I could find is on WebMD. The issue I have with WebMD is if it is not approved by the FDA, they never have anything good to say about it.

"When given as a shot: Melanotan is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when given as a shot. It can causes nausea, stomachcramps, decreased appetite, flushing, tiredness, yawning, darkened skin, spontaneous erections of the penis, and other side effects. In some people, especially those with light skin, a change in the shape of moles, new moles, and skin cancer, have all occurred in people using melanotan."

Anyone here have any real scientific information about this?

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
That is new to me.
I use MT2 also.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I'd say that's a dermatologist that knows nothing about it and is just doing the old CYA/say it's bad because I don't know better.

Now with that said I'm not saying it does not cause cancer but I've never run into anything but that's usually how many doctors operate. If they don't know something they always say it's bad for you.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
People with dark skin may have the misconception that they are immune to skin cancer because their skin has more melanin – or pigment,” says Ana Ciurea, M.D. “While they are less likely to get skin cancer, they are still at risk.”

So with that in mind mt2 could lower your chances of getting skin cancer.

956Vette

956Vette

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2010
Good luck finding a derm with a deeper understanding next year! Sorry you had to experience that.

Definitely empathize...after 18 years on melanocyte-stimulating hormone, grateful to have not experienced sunburn.

From my pov, drama in the melanocortin agonist dept is the gap in results(/risk) between potent melanotan 1 (afamelanotide - linear peptide) and super-potent melanotan 2 (cyclic analog). Melanotan II and bremelanotide cross the bbb in a profound degenerate way. I worry about investing in therapy before investigating melanotropins causing harm...mt-2 works so well at a value....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic