Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

Modern raw versus modern classic

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Can someone explain to me what this means. I have been out of the pling loop for a long while. I keep seeing it posted and feel ignorant because I don't have any idea what it is. Back in the day it was raw or equipped. And equipped was either a champion single ply suit or the inzer Z suit. I am feeling dated. Thanks guys. Flames expected

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I think modern raw is no wraps.

And classic allows wraps and a belt.

Not 100% sure on that.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
Turbo got it backwards.... classic raw is what you are used to, raw modern allows the lifter to use knee wraps but no briefs, suits etc....

Raw Modern – may use knee wraps. Knee wraps shall not exceed three (3) meters in length or three (3) inches in width. A single layer knee sleeve can be worn, but wraps and sleeves may not be combined. Knee wraps must be secured by using the "cinch" method. Securing knee wrap with Velcro is not acceptable. Knee wraps may not touch the socks or the lifting suit when upright. Contact is allowed during the execution of the lift. No objects are allowed under the single knee wraps.

Last edited:
uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Squat and dead lift equipment is limited to belt, wrist wraps. Elbow sleeves are permitted in both Classic and Modern Divisions.
Raw Classic - may wear neoprene or elastic knee sleeves during warm-ups and in between official attempts. But once summoned to the platform, the sleeves must be pulled down onto competitors shin and calf. Knee wraps are not permitted, if knee wraps are to be worn, the Raw Modern division applies.
Raw Modern – may use knee wraps. Knee wraps shall not exceed three (3) meters in length or three (3) inches in width. A single layer knee sleeve can be worn, but wraps and sleeves may not be combined. Knee wraps must be secured by using the "cinch" method. Securing knee wrap with Velcro is not acceptable. Knee wraps may not touch the socks or the lifting suit when upright. Contact is allowed during the execution of the lift. No objects are allowed under the single knee wraps.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Sorry about that.

Ill try harder next time.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Squat and dead lift equipment is limited to belt, wrist wraps. Elbow sleeves are permitted in both Classic and Modern Divisions.
Raw Classic - may wear neoprene or elastic knee sleeves during warm-ups and in between official attempts. But once summoned to the platform, the sleeves must be pulled down onto competitors shin and calf. Knee wraps are not permitted, if knee wraps are to be worn, the Raw Modern division applies.

Just to be clear folks, these are RPS rules.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
... because what this sport needs is more ways to split records up so that everyone feels special. It's good to see choices being given to lifters but this is getting ridiculous.

raw = wraps and a belt
geared = wear what you want

Allow a monolift for both and judge them all the same. It's not that complicated.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Interesting you should say that PLK, in all of our raw meets over here in NZ (that I've either watched or compted in) the use of wraps for raw meets has not been permitted. Neoprene sleeves are okay though.

Must be slightly different in the States?

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
It's different depending on the federation, Forklift.
APF doesn't use wraps for raw but UPA does and RPS offers both.

To me though, raw is going back to the roots of the sport - when lifters did use wraps. The idea of no wraps came later as RAW branched off from the rest of lifting in response to the gear getting more extreme.
What I posted is just my opinion and not based on any fact, whatsoever.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks for clarifying.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic