Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

MLB warns about steroid alternative in deer spray

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Baseball is trying to prevent players from using deer antler spray as an alternative to steroids, SI.com reports.

The velvet from immature deer antlers have been found to include insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1), which controls the level of human growth hormone (HGH) in the body. HGH is banned by baseball because it can help build muscle and cut fat and may be even more effective than steroids. There is no current drug test for HGH as it cannot be detected in urine. No blood testing has been agreed to by the player's union and baseball, which is required to find HGH and IGF-1.

The substance from the deer is sprayed under the tongue and acts as a "anabolic or growth stimulation," with "muscular strength and endurance," one manufacturer said.

Baseball's warning was only about a specific brand of deer spray and not because of IGF-1, but because it's considered a potentially-contaminated nutritional substance. Players were warned that the spray could show up as positive for a banned steroid called methyltestosterone, which is not one of the deer spray's ingredients.

Essentially, baseball is telling players that it has caught on to the new wave of trying to get ahead, and is helping produce a chilling effect by warning that it can show up on drug tests if "contaminated" with a banned substance.

cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/31143287

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
well, i guess they cant say they didnt know.

personally, i dont get why everybody cares so much about AAS use in atheletes. i know they dont want youngsters to think that that is the way to get good but kids these days already know about it. hell look at all the youngsters on here that are already taking AAS. the use in athletes is no different then the use of performance enhancing drugs in race horses, everybodies doing it some are just better at getting away with it and being educated about it.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Such A stupid article, the MLB knows nothing about this product, and from my experience when I tried Deer antler, the only thing I noticed was increased energy both physical and mental. It also helped recovery from cycles back then much easier and quicker too. But shit, this is a natural substance, you can't get much closer no where near illegal as this.

What's next, cant eat sushi because it has high amounts of creatine and can give them an edge. WTF is wrong with all these organizations.

MadMick

MadMick

May 12, 2011
Foe the record, BBers were ingesting Deer antler in the early 90's... I wont mention any names...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic