Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Mixing bodybuilding with martial arts...?

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
As I grow older i am beginning to find out that less is actually more when it comes to lifting weights so I firmly believe that at this point of my life, training with weights more than 3 times per week, maximum 4, is counterproductive.

My questions is this: Can I lift weights three times per week and do two kick boxing sessions per week without affecting muscle growth (too much)?

I know this is a very general question and the fact that everyone is different and reacts differently but what is the general consensus?

I feel like my body needs something something else besides just lifting weights. I believe that the increased cardio output as well as the stimulation of different muscle fibers and the increased flexibility are going to help me a lot not only health wise but also on my long-term bodybuilding goals.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
A budy of mine did MMA and bbing, bad combo IMHO, he tore one bicep 2x's and the other once, very hard for the body to endure both, if you do it I would be mindful about recovery and moderate the amount of each carefully.

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks for input brother. 2 sessions of kick boxing per week aren't nearly as tough as 2 MMA sessions. These are grueling indeed. Especially BJJ

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
BB is requires total exclusion from other sports because of recovery aspect(eating, rest). unlike other sports, it's about storage of energy, where others are about burning them away. I do know however, that a former martial artist makes a great bodybuilder if one converts into one.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
It depends on the martial art. There are a bunch of martial arts that are really low or no contact even with sparring. Kickboxing is a pretty high intensity affair. Powerlifting better translates into any martial art because it's based around performance rather than appearance. I do kickboxing and muay thai from time to time and I use a full powerlifting routine. It really depends on whether you want to get really competitive or not.

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
It depends on the martial art. There are a bunch of martial arts that are really low or no contact even with sparring. Kickboxing is a pretty high intensity affair. Powerlifting better translates into any martial art because it's based around performance rather than appearance. I do kickboxing and muay thai from time to time and I use a full powerlifting routine. It really depends on whether you want to get really competitive or not.

Thanks for the input brother. The truth of the matter is that I do care about how I look because I am very happy and proud of my genes (no, I am not a cocky bastard and I mean it) and I can do very well in competitive bodybuilding, but aside from that and the health reasons i have mentioned above, I am interested in martial arts because i want to be able to protect my family and myself more efficiently than I can now.

I am very strong and I can throw a few good kicks and punches because I was into martial arts when I was younger, but it has been years since then and I am definitely not as good as I used to be.

I am not looking to do this for a life time, just for a couple months to refresh what I already know.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
Since I actually do martial arts and eat and lift like a body builder I will comment on this later when I get home. Its really not a hard combo to balance at all.

S

soinkid

Mar 14, 2011
I did mui tai, jujitsu, abd boxed. Mui tai twice a week, jujitsu twice and boxed one night, I hit the gym every evening afterwards and never received any injuries. I will say my body was already in great shape and my endurance was up. So it is possible, just prepare urself and eat right and rest often...honesty, I was in the best shape of my life while doin that...

S

soinkid

Mar 14, 2011
I would disagree on the powerlifting routine benefits u the most, it'll make u stiff and un flexible...I went heavy, but incorperated a lot of reps, bands, chains,etc.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Thanks for the input brother. The truth of the matter is that I do care about how I look because I am very happy and proud of my genes (no, I am not a cocky bastard and I mean it) and I can do very well in competitive bodybuilding, but aside from that and the health reasons i have mentioned above, I am interested in martial arts because i want to be able to protect my family and myself more efficiently than I can now.

I am very strong and I can throw a few good kicks and punches because I was into martial arts when I was younger, but it has been years since then and I am definitely not as good as I used to be.

I am not looking to do this for a life time, just for a couple months to refresh what I already know.

Well then it should be no problem. If you were looking to compete I would suggest a change to a strength and conditioning program not a bodybuilding style program. But if you are just looking to refresh what you already know and not get into it for competition sake then you'll be fine.

I would disagree on the powerlifting routine benefits u the most, it'll make u stiff and un flexible...I went heavy, but incorperated a lot of reps, bands, chains,etc.

How does it make you stiff and inflexible? Bands and chains are a mainstay of the top powerlifting clubs in the world. Most of the top combat athletes in the world powerlift. As long as you stretch, as everyone should, there are no problems with flexibility. If a 265+ Frank Mir can throw a head kick and he powerlifts with Mark Phillipi then it's really not an issue.

The only guys that lose flexibility are the ones that get fat or the ones that don't stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAD
S

soinkid

Mar 14, 2011
Just my experience, low reps for me make me stiff and tight. I stayed looser and faster with more reps or explosive reps with chains or bands. Pulled sleds, tire flips, sledge hammering...guess to each his own but that changed my game

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
heres how I do it

I train 5 days a week weight training, and 4 days for karate.

I beleive the flexability and conditioning martial arts has brought me has kept me from injuring myself weight training. Trying to build muscle is slower with some of the faster paced martial arts that we do, but it helps to stay leaner and build quaility muscle. I found though with possiably maybe fighting mma in addition to competitive karate fighting in tourns, I would have to watch how much mass I gained in order to cut weight so I hover around 220-230. but that was with the possiablity of mma matchs,for just competitive fighting in karate tourns it doesnt go by weight class just rank.

I follow a very strict high calorie high protien high carb low fat low sodium diet and eat 6 times a day. I train heavy as I can. when i was doing our high intensity cardio I was fasting on those days and was actualy leaning up nicely.

there is no secret to doing both just finding the right groove that personally fits you, if you are worried about losing or drastically slowing muscle gains then up your calorie intake to compensate

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic