Members
Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter

making weight for a meet

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I will have to look at their rules. I am not sure. I don't have any though. Do you mean elbow sleeves or knee?

Knee sleeves. I'm not aware of any fed that allows for elbow sleeves.

Also this may be dumb, but they let you enter multiple divisions. Should I enter masters or open? What would be the advantage of entering multiple divisions?

You'd have to check with them but fed's I've dealt with do allows for multiple entries. It means more money for them and possibly more wins for you.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
My honest personal opinion, your first meet out, just go in whatever you weigh and compete. If you cut you have no clue how your body will react, you get a serious injury. Open 85% second lift over 100% 3rd lift personal record time. That's how I treat it. But, the best thing to do is run a test phase during training to see what'll happen.
NEVER run said phase during meet prep.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You can enter multiple divisions Mac. It just means more trophies and more broken records. Honestly RPS couldn't give a shit about your money. Their profits go to charities for rescue dogs anyway.

Here are there rules: http://www.revolutionpowerlifting.com/rules/index.html

Gene Rychlak runs a kick ass meet. No bullshit from the judges. No bullshit from the lifters. Make sure you introduce yourself to him. He's an incredibly nice man and is full of all sorts of experience. I got to hang with him for a weekend... Got some good advice from him over a burrito at a Chipotle :D

Reactions: SAD
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Mac another way to drop your 5 pounds is to eliminate your carbohydrates about 4-5 days before the meet.

Protein, some fat and vegetables only.

Also, start drinking about 1- 1 1/2 gallon of water about 4-5 days out. This will get your body used to flushing large amounts of fluid out. So when you cut your water out your body will continue to remove fluid.

5 pounds isn't a lot and you should be able to drop it with diet.

Honestly, with 3 weeks out I think slowly losing weight every week, you can probably lose 5 pounds and not effect your strength.

Just a thought for you. Good luck with your prep! Keep us updated!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Mac another way to drop your 5 pounds is to eliminate your carbohydrates about 4-5 days before the meet.

Protein, some fat and vegetables only.

Also, start drinking about 1- 1 1/2 gallon of water about 4-5 days out. This will get your body used to flushing large amounts of fluid out. So when you cut your water out your body will continue to remove fluid.

5 pounds isn't a lot and you should be able to drop it with diet.

Honestly, with 3 weeks out I think slowly losing weight every week, you can probably lose 5 pounds and not effect your strength.

Just a thought for you. Good luck with your prep! Keep us updated!

That is kinda what I am doing. Seeing how much weight I can drop just by tightening up the next few weeks. I dont want to restrict too much though. Having done and recorded a good amount of cuts, I know even on a mild caloric deficit, my strength starts to drop off after the second week. By week 4and5 I will have lost close to 50 lbs on my bench. Deads are affected much less. As soon as I reintroduce carbs above 200g a day and get on surplus, my strength comes right back. So carb restriction is a double edged sword for me. I know I can drop 8lbs in a week with carb restriction, but the loss in strength is too great for me.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Yea I know what you mean.

Hopefully of you go slowly it won't effect you.

You need to drop about 1.5 pounds a week.

Or just compete in the next weight class up. Your numbers are competitive in pretty much any weight class.

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
Should be no problem at all for you. If it was 12 or more...then could be an issue.

You'll be happy to are attending this meet. It's good experience and by your numbers feel you'll make a respectable showing. Remember..you're competing against yourself and your PRs. But, it's good to have other people to compete with. Definitely gives you motivation!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Don't screw yourself over 5lbs.

If weigh-ins are Friday morning, drive up on Thursday.

For 5#, eat normally until meet week.
On Tuesday eat high-salt and bump your water up a lot, like 1.5-2 gallons min.
Wed Cut salt out completely and keep water high.
Thursday just drink distilled water as needed and stop eating around noon. If you are still over by the afternoon just stop drinking.
If you are over Fri. morning by a pound or two ( which I doubt you would be) just hit a sauna.

This can easily pull 10# off of my 315 waling-around weight and because it's a short cut it all comes back on easy. Don't deplete slowly, don't use any water pills, this cut is easy.
After weigh-in on Friday start pounding pedialyte and carbs as hard as you can without getting sick.

For my last meet I cut like this from 315-302 ( over shot 308 because I know a strong buddy was moving up from 275 and I wanted the best chance to win)
After weigh-ins I started eating. That day I took down a box of pop tarts, two family packs of oreos, 2 ihop breakfasts, Famous Dave's for lunch, two coconut waters, 3 pedialytes, a large pizza and some italian nachos for dinner, and some fruit before bed.... we both went 6/9 and missed 3rd attempts on all three lifts that would have put us over 2500...... ended up totaling the same and he won by being 10 lbs lighter. I lift geared and had to not bloat too much so I still fit in my gear. If you are going raw you can go much higher sodium and pound some chinese food too.

Good luck.

Last edited:
alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
Just like porky said, you dont need diuretics for 5lbs. Thats an easy drop. Load up on water 6-7 days prior. 2-2.5 gallons a day. Eat normally. Keep this up until about 18 hours before you need to weigh in and just cut all water out. Worst case scenario, on the drive there you can sit with the heat on (sweat suit/garbage bag optional) to shed the little bit that may remain.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic