Latest Member
arcticranger

Made the switch. And so happy....

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Welcome.

1st off - don't make this so complicated. The big criticism people have of the Lilliebridge method is that it's too simple. Well, it's based off of the same Frantz routine that my training is based on. The same training that started Eddy Coan's career....... Don't get me wrong, westside works beyond a doubt. 5/3/1 is okay.... but let me please assure you that no not lifter except for the guys and girls at Westside or the Sweatt shop actually follow Westside verbatim. Most guys have a much simpler program that they follow. I'm talking top lifters, too.
A canned program is fine for the totally clueless, but no top athlete uses canned percentages. Everyone has schedule issues, and doing that much math is pointless.

Start with a simple routine that's proven. Then, adapt it to fit your needs. If you can't do it yourself then ask a pro to help you with it. The exact days of the week don't matter. Don't sweat the small stuff yet.
Most importantly, make the effort to find a team in your area to train with whenever you can.

I drive an hour each way, three days a week to train with a very reputable team. I have a few friends who are or have driven up to 8 hours each way every other weekend ( or more often) to train at Westside.
You will go way farther with a real team.

My suggestion is to either, go to a big meet close by and talk to a few lifters to see where they train, or if you PM me a rough idea of where you are at or traveling to I might know someone. After a few years of competing at the national and world level I have been able to help a few guys on here find a crew to train with.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
PLK sincere thanks for your thorough reply. Spent a QUALITY morning with Steve at Iron Sport---apparently my DL form was all back no legs. I have a LONG way to go but DID manage to add 35 lbs to by PR.

And for what it's worth I dunno if I'll respond better to higher or lower reps but we are gonna see....

New PR: 300 lbs.

Say whaaaaaat!?!

He told me to go and see Matt Wenning at Lenex in Cbus (not so far from my house) so gonna get after that....

Baby steps. But I'm gonna get there, and y'all are comin with me. Whatever the **** schedule I pick.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391633497.913400.jpg

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Wait..... you're by Columbus? And there's no where to train?!?!?!?

1st off, Steve has written a great program. If you like training out there then go for it, he's a good dude ( at least from my few interactions with him and his reputation)

I'll be spending a month in columbus this summer to train.... because THE BEST POWERLIFTING GYMS IN THE COUNTRY ARE IN CBUS!!!

Dude, start at the Sweatt Shop with Laura Phelps! She has an awesome crew of very strong women ( and guys) training there. Some good friends of mine.
Visit Westside Barbell. They know a few things about lifting and have trained a few moderately successful athletes.
I'll be at both gyms this summer.

Wenning is a decent dude. He's a monster lifter and definitely knows how to program a lifter.

You also have Lexen out there with a crew of monsters. Danny Dague is a great guy and a good friend. He runs the gym and can help. I think that Vogelpohl is training out there again too.

a few hours North ( if you live north of Cbus) you have Rheta West, the strongest geared and raw 148 class female who trains with a small crew.

a few hours West you have the Ladewskis and Jason Coker training in Indiana. Both are good people and good friends. Coker has the added bonus of being funny as heck.

You live in Valhalla for powerlifting!!!!!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I would give my left nut to be able to train with Wenning. The guy is a genius.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
PLK and POB, thanks for insight. I do NOT love "close" to Cbus-about 2.5h away (I'm closer to Pittsburgh). I've gotta make my calls and see who's available and taking students, no word from Matt.

I would LOVE to train at Lexen or c RW, just gotta the process started.

265 sq went up easily, need an in town partner. I'm honestly nervous to DL on Wed now without a set of trained eyes on me-there's a local gym called Body Structure in New Castle PA (don't think anyone bigs ever come outta there) that I contacted several times for local help so will hit them up again only for that lift. Bench and sq are okay, and like I said thought my DL was okay as well.

Thanks sincerely for ALLLLL of your help.

A

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Congrats on the bench !

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Hit a 175 bench with Steve yesterday. Raw as a mofo. Boom!
Congrats on that bench! That's awesome.

If you decide to post a training journal, I'd sure as hell follow it. I started with 5/3/1, went to Cube, and am now doing a modified version of Cube with 5/3/1 elements in it. Good luck in your training and competition preparation!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic