Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Lisinopril- Blood Pressure Med

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
I've been battling high blood pressure for years now. It's never extremely high, but high enough. I been doing the natural route of hawthorne berry, good diet, and exercise, but it just seems like it isn't enough anymore. I give blood every 3 months. Each time I have my bp checked, it comes back around 140 over 85 on average and that's on just TRT.

I hate to hop on the bp meds, but I feel like having constant high blood pressure is one of the sillent killers especially in our community.
I did my research and it seems like lisinopril is the one to go with as opposed to atenolol when it comes to bp meds. What do you guys think? Also, I heard of lisinopril and hctz mixed is an excellent combo. Thoughts?

Thanks all

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I would ask for Diazide first. Its a combo of two diuretics (one potassium sparing/one excreting). It's about as mild as drugs get as far as safety is concerned. Other than pissing a few more times each morning, I can't say anything bad about it. Been on for about 4mos and BP has come down from 160s to 125-30s

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
I went to the Dr. For my ADHD last week and they notice mine was on the high side so i just started very low dose 5mg ED of lisonopril. I have to keep going back until it's normal and they said they double th dose weekly till it's the right fit.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
What does your heart rate look like.

studies show Lisinopril may work better on Systolic......but I would go to a MD. I have seen people turn into vegetables when HTN was not managed properly. My cousin included.

remember there are different BP med options....Beta blockers, Calcium Channel and ACE inhibitors....etc

Last edited:
TheSpectre

TheSpectre

MuscleHead
May 4, 2013
Only my dyslostic is high. Lisinopril didn't do much. In all honesty a low sodium high potassium and magnesium did far more. Sodium destroys my blood pressure. Keeping the potassium double and 500mg+ magnesium worked better than Max-dose Propranolol and high dose clonidine combined.

Mondo

Mondo

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2015
Been on Lisinopril and HCTZ for years and have experience no problems. As mentioned above, high sodium will see my BP rise dramatically, even with the meds.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Been on Lisinopril and HCTZ for years and have experience no problems. As mentioned above, high sodium will see my BP rise dramatically, even with the meds.
What's your dose per day Mondo? I was concerned about taking diuretics for a long period of time.

M

mdmusclemachine

VIP Member
Feb 8, 2012
i also struggled with borderline bp issues ive been on that for 4 months i take at night it also helps me sleep bp is perfect now also give blood every 3 months and do hawthorne im 44 so no spring chicken and have a family Dont waana be that guy who was stubborn and has a stroke or hr or worse kidney failure do to bp issues

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
i also struggled with borderline bp issues ive been on that for 4 months i take at night it also helps me sleep bp is perfect now also give blood every 3 months and do hawthorne im 44 so no spring chicken and have a family Dont waana be that guy who was stubborn and has a stroke or hr or worse kidney failure do to bp issues

Yes, exactly! Same here

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm in the same boat as you fellas. Went to doc this winter, and my BP was on high side of normal. Always has been, and so doc told me to lose some weight (was about 245), and to do a sleep study. Have lost 20 pounds and got CPAP machine. Will be going back to doc after losing another 10 pounds and been on CPAP almost 6 months. Hope it's down, but if not it looks like I'll need to do meds. I don't want to be stubborn, and then have problems due to high BP. Just not worth it.

B

body_by_donuts

Jul 5, 2011
I've been on lisinopril for 10+ years and I tried many other before it. My BP was hereditary and could not be avoided. If your just border line try a water pill first like HCTZ first. Once you commit to a BP med, there is no stopping.

If you feel BP meds is the right way I would recommend lisinopril

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Lisinopril and Bystolic are probably the 2 best options for lifters if a mild diuretic doesn't work.

I'd recommend working with your Dr to try to find the right combo rather then self-medicating.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic