Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

left side upper pec lagging

BuildBigger

BuildBigger

Aug 27, 2012
Hi,

I googled this question and could only find answers relating to overall upper pecs so here it is.
My right upper pecseems to be developing quicker than the left side and its got to the point where I can actually notice it easily when looking in the mirror, starting to freak me out.
My upper pec training has always been at the start of my routine recently as my upper pecs were lagging in general before so I combatted it with incline db presses, ive maybe dicked up on form slightly which has made this happen, should I change it to incline smith press? (No barbells in the gym)

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
There are no barbells in your gym? 8'm gonna need a minute to get over this. Be back later

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
The db presses should be better for your symmetry than smith presses will be. Do you tend to tilt in the left arm towards your face when it's getting fatigued? Try to stay off that tricep during your presses. Furthermore, dumbells and barbells do very little for the inner chest. You need machines and you need to bring your humerus across your chest under tension. If you like, I can dig up a video demonstrating this.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Furthermore, dumbells and barbells do very little for the inner chest. .

Muscle fibers are either engaged or they are not. Inner and outer chest cannot be focused on. The muscle fibers will not allow it. If the inner pec is engaged, the outer will be engaged. The only thing that will change that is neurological deficits.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Your muscles aren't firing properly. I had this same issue with my pec and shoulder. Go to a CHIROPRACTOR

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
That is absolutely false. You can very much so activate different areas of the muscle.

shortz look at it this way. If you spend all of your time on a specific area of the range of motion, than the part of the muscle under greatest tension in that range will grow.

Last edited:
Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
That is absolutely false. You can very much so activate different areas of the muscle.

I'm speaking from a lot of experience and telling me I'm completely false is ignorant

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I'm speaking from a lot of experience and telling me I'm completely false is ignorant

Thanks for calling me ignorant but did you even read my post? It has nothing to do with what you said because its not directed at you.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013

He was replying to me. ;) This is one of those times when two people will agree to disagree. I respect the opinion of other members, so I try not to get in to pissing matches. I am sure this is one of those times that evidence will support both sides, but I just tend to disagree with one side.

Back to the OP, as I mentioned above, sometimes people can have a neurological deficit that can cause an odd sort of muscular "mutation", if you want to call it that. It can be caused by injury, form, or some underlying medical condition. It's hard to tell what it would be from at this point though. What rep range are you working in? If it's heavy, you might bring the weight down and make sure your form is correct on both side. This means for all pressing and pulling movements too. Another thing you could do is see a sports medicine doc or just a good doc in general and see if they can pinpoint any potential issue that it might be stemming from.

There is a possibility that it could be genetic too. It's quite possible the muscle just never developed correctly, but this is very rare.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
arnolds right bicep peak was one of his signature poses bro, he was very aware of the lack of height on his left biceps, our bodies are very rarely symmetrical, if you can, try a low handle one arm cable fly, focusing on tensing the muscle as you contract. good luck and never stop until you see results that will make your physique complete!

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for calling me ignorant but did you even read my post? It has nothing to do with what you said because its not directed at you.

You're welcome. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

BuildBigger

BuildBigger

Aug 27, 2012
As far as I'm aware,my form is spot on but a video would be great thanks! I am also a believer that hitting the chest from different angles will target the muscles in different ways, just to throw that in there. I usually aim for 10 reps, never less than 8 or more than 12 and dont usually go to failure on every set.

Thanks for all the advice, ill just have to work on it and see if I can bring it up, ive only ever had right shoulder injury so this cant really have been the root cause of it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic