Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Learning Spanish

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I do believe in assimilation when you move to a country, however, I do also believe that learning and knowing a second language is extremely helpful and a pretty respectable thing to do/know.

I started about a week ago and I am using Pimsleur's course. It's more conversational than it is about the specific grammar. I took Spanish I and II in high school, so I don't want or need all the proper grammar.

It's more difficult than I originally anticipated. I am one that doesn't memorize things very well, so this is going to be tough. I am doing my best to stick it out, and won't give up though.

Anyone else teach themselves a second language as an adult? How did it go?

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
only thing I remember for hs spanish class is nosotros..

Haymaker

Haymaker

Oct 21, 2015
I only speak 'merican but knowing multiple languages can give you a serious advantage in a lot of situations. They say it gets harder the older you get but hard work beats all.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I can hold a conversation (slowly) in french. Attempted Russian but honestly just could not get most of the pronunciation down. I will pick it back up after I graduate when I can spend more time on it.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
You'd be surprised, out here Spanish is so butchered and improper. Even the ones coming straight from Mexico don't speak "proper" spanish.

D

Divorce

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2011
I'm in the process of learning german. I use rosetta stone and duolingo (on my mobile), enjoying it so far.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I speak horrible Arabic and a bit of French. SS speaks several languages fluently so I work on it with her but I'm going to work on it more in the coming year.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I'd like to learn Spanish too. Anyone have experience with Rosetta Stone?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
knowing Spanish is a great way of meeting Latin chicks. Of course, it's always helpful to pretend that you're not very good at it. They think it's cute and then want to try and help you!

Always good to have some strategery! LOL

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
I was living and working in Ixtapa / Zihuatanejo for half the year for 5 years. I learned the hard way. When your Mexican friends pull stuff like "we are only speaking to you in spanish today", your gonna have to learn quick. I have a large vocabulary pertaining mostly to daily life things. For example from shopping in the grocery store I learned many food words. I just dont know how to put it all together. I can def get my point across and I can tell what almost any conversation is about just by picking up on words. Im not fluent but im way past the spanglish stage.
Spanish is a very easy language to learn. Mostly because most words have one meaning only and one way to spell them. Its very fixed, unlike English. My first advice always is to learn the spanish alphabet, its way easier because then you can see a word and pronounce it.

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
knowing Spanish is a great way of meeting Latin chicks. Of course, it's always helpful to pretend that you're not very good at it. They think it's cute and then want to try and help you!

Always good to have some strategery! LOL

Worked for me :-bd

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
You'd be surprised, out here Spanish is so butchered and improper. Even the ones coming straight from Mexico don't speak "proper" spanish.
Yep, the dialect varies from Mexican, Cuban, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Colombian ect...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic