What's New?

Law Enforcement Makes State's Largest Steroid Bust

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Story.jpg

MAGNOLIA, AR (KSLA) -
Law enforcement in south Arkansas say they've made a major steroids bust, with at 3 arrests so far in a 3-month investigation, including the owner of a Magnolia gym.

Police say a package sent from China containing 411 grams of a powdered form of testosterone was intercepted by Homeland Security agents. Investigators were notified and set up a controlled delivery of the package to the Extreme Fitness Center on North Dudney Street. There, according to the probable cause affidavit for Hines arrest, Magnolia PD Sgt. Michael Caldwell says he observed the package on the desk of the owner, 37-year-old Joshua Hines of Waldo, AR. Sgt. Caldwell says he saw that the package had been opened. The inside packaging thrown in the trash can, and "Inside the package was 411 grams of anabolic steroids."

Sgt. Caldwell says in his statement to investigators, Hines allegedly admitted that the package belonged to him and Robert "Drew" Maza of El Dorado. According to court documents, Hines told investigators that he and Maza would pool their money to order shipments of steroids and then distribute them to numerous individuals. He also said that he had recently decided to start ordering by himself, and that he had found someone to order from in China, wiring money through Western Union at Brookshires and having the packages sent to his house in Waldo or to the gym, or to the home of 40-year-old Candy Drake, who knew the packages were for him if they were from overseas and her name was misspelled.

Hines allegedly told investigators that he would mix the steroids mostly at his house, but sometimes in his Tahoe, and that he had steroids at both his house and at the gym.

Police say they also searched Hines' home, the home of Robert "Drew" Maza, as well as a storage facility in El Dorado.

Among the items seized in those searches:

- 8,000 vials, bottles, pill dosage units of anabolic steroids including testosterone.

- Large quantities of paraphernalia including syringes, packaging, labels and lab equipment.

- 35 firearms including shotguns, rifles and handguns, some of which had suppressors attached.

- $45,000 in cash

- Four vehicles seized

Hines and Maza have been arrested and charged with possession of a schedule III controlled substance with the purpose to deliver, delivery of a schedule III controlled substance, manufacture of a schedule III controlled substance, controlled substance offenses relating to records, maintaining premises, possession of dug paraphernalia and simultaneous possession of drugs and firearms. Drake was arrested Tuesday and charged with conspiracy to possess a schedule III controlled substance with intent to deliver. Both Hines and Maza have been released on bond.

The investigation is ongoing and police more arrests are expected.

Police say the investigation and seizure is believed to be the largest of anabolic steroids and human growth hormone for the entire state of Arkansas.

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
Is it just me or do those vials look like Daman's Tsunami gear?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
8,000 vials, bottles, pill dosage units of anabolic steroids including testosterone.

What does that mean? Why can't they figure out how to actually measure quantity of drugs in realistic ways vs. ways to nail you for as long as possible?

And they are in Arkansas, so 35 firearms doesn't mean the guy was starting an underground drug war, it just means he has money. Every true Arkansan would have 35 guns if they had the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: CFM
R

regular

MuscleHead
May 31, 2012
What does that mean? Why can't they figure out how to actually measure quantity of drugs in realistic ways vs. ways to nail you for as long as possible?

What Law Enforcement considers a "unit of steroids" to be per an unrelated indictment:

jeZXmpL.png

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for posting that regular. Still not realistic. For instance, if I murder a guy, I'm charged with one count of murder. Not one count of murder for each organ in his body that died as a result of me killing him. I'm not sure what the answer would be though for drug related charges. Personal use is massively subjective, and the negative impact (of most AAS use) on society is negligible.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Its completely arbitrary SAD... Lets also not forget this wouldn't even be happening if they were legal. LE created this black market.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
If I understand the story correctly, there was an investigation going on for 3 months which according to my calculations would mean around the beginning of September. Thus it appears they were waiting for a pac coming from China in order to make the controlled delivery.

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
8000 dosage units = 400 vials
(20 dosage units per 10ml vial)

R

regular

MuscleHead
May 31, 2012
No problem SAD. I agree, the way the DOJ measures steroids is silly.

Suppliers could optimize their shipping strategy around the DOJ's idea of what a unit is. Dissolving the hormone in a solvent prior to shipping would reduce the total volume "units" being shipped significantly. There are solvents which can hold a large amount of hormone and can be boiled off at room temperature in a vacuum.

Example:
In the above article the government captured a package containing 411 grams of testosterone.
(411g) / (25mg) = 16,440 units of testosterone

I'm not sure how much testosterone can be dissolved in to acetone but I'd imagine it would hold a lot. Lets say a source can dissolve 700mg of testosterone into 1ml of acetone.
(700mg per ml) / (2 units per ml) = 350mg per "unit" or 1/2 ml

One unit per the law is .5ml. That .5ml contains 350mg of hormone. The total volume of "units" being shipped has been reduced fourteen times.

(411g) / (350mg per half ml) = 1,174 units of testosterone

It's not clear how the government would handle a slurry. A slurry would obviously contain much more product.

Last edited:
R

Rai080

MuscleHead
Sep 11, 2013
That's pretty embarrassing if that's their largest bust. 8000 units could be a combo of pulls and bottles. That's near the relm of personal use of a pretty descent sized guy. Just think of you are taking 100 mg. Of var/day. That's easily 1000 pills.

N

n87

Apr 27, 2012
Didn't they have any meth labs to busts? The stuff that's actually contributes to criminal activity? Pigs probably kept some of the juice for themselves too.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
If the suppressed firearms were not legally obtained and licensed the AAS is the tip of the iceberg for the gents.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic