Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Lat Workouts, Lat Exercises and Lat Training Tips

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
No intention of hijacking the thread, and the answers may further help the OP out. My question is for those of you who feel that bent barbell rows are the best for lats, could you give some tips on how you perform the movement to really hit the lats? I love bent rows, but I feel it more in the middle of my back, both width-wise and length-wise. Does that make sense? I have trouble feeling any horizontal back exercises in my lats. Vertical movements always pound my lats.

Anyway, any little tweaks y'all do to feel rows in the lats, please share.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
^Did you read the article I posted?

Rows inevitably hit lats, you can't not hit lats with rows. I don't advise doing any tweaking at all to proper form. Bent over rows as outlined in the article are definitely a dangerous exercise.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Well excuse me queen bee, sorry for not clicking on every link in every thread. ;)

Clearly rows hit lats, and every other muscle in the back, but are they as effective as pullups or pulldowns that more directly target the lats?

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
No intention of hijacking the thread, and the answers may further help the OP out. My question is for those of you who feel that bent barbell rows are the best for lats, could you give some tips on how you perform the movement to really hit the lats? I love bent rows, but I feel it more in the middle of my back, both width-wise and length-wise. Does that make sense? I have trouble feeling any horizontal back exercises in my lats. Vertical movements always pound my lats.

Anyway, any little tweaks y'all do to feel rows in the lats, please share.

Switch your grip for bent over rows every other workout. Standard grip will hit middle and upper back while underhand or reverse grip will hit the lower lats. I find I can pull more weight with the underhand grip, so that's refreshment for my mind as well.

As for proper form, the biggest mitake I see people make is holding the bar too far out from your body. That puts far too much stress on your delts and shoulders and not enough on back (except lower back, which is not good). Coming back from an injury I did bent over rows exclusively on the smith machine for months until I had the perfect form nailed down. The smith machine allows you to worry less about form and balance, and more about pulling up bigger weight. Once you "master" the form, move back to regular barbell. Trust me, this works.

Also, on pullups, alternate overhand, underhand, wide grip, and close grip. I don't even really do bicep curls much anymore because my bis get so much work from rows and close grip pullups. If your bis aren't burning after a nice set of close grips then you're doing them wrong.

T

TriCity

^you can't do rows "from the floor" on a Smith machine. Learn form for rows the right way, by doing them with lighter weight. Don't learn them on the Smith and try to equate that free weight.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
^you can't do rows "from the floor" on a Smith machine. Learn form for rows the right way, by doing them with lighter weight. Don't learn them on the Smith and try to equate that free weight.

You must be short, lol....sorry, I always forget about the short people

When I'm bent over the weights are nowhere near the ground. If you're doing every rep from the floor that's a problem.... you're likely working your lower back way to much or are about as tall as a leprechaun. You don't need to bend all the way over or have it touch the ground. Sounds like what you are describing is a combination of rows and deads.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011

Smith Machines are simply the very best Towel Rack there is in a gym next to the other machine with the moving arms lol!

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011

When I do rows I don't do them from the floor anyway. I'll have the bar sitting on a couple of pegs on the outside of a squat rack, I walk up, grab the bar, lift it two inches, walk backwards two steps, bend over with knees slightly bent, and start rowing. If you are touching the weights to the floor at the bottom of the rep, I think you are either legally a midget, or doing something wrong.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Holy shit GS, beat me to it by a couple of seconds. You and SFG and me all posted in the same minute, lol. Are we in a club now or something? I want a little do-hicky underneath my "Achievements". LOL

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Cross Cables that's the other towel rack!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic