Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Last week before a meet

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Yea well my coach is a sadistic SOB so he had me doing 5x3 (last sets turned into singles) banded heavy deadlifts then 5x3 heavy banded squats on Monday THEN this SOB had me do 10x3 heavy banded bench on Tuesday. What are your thoughts on that?!?

The week before a meet ?

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Yea well my coach is a sadistic SOB so he had me doing 5x3 (last sets turned into singles) banded heavy deadlifts then 5x3 heavy banded squats on Monday THEN this SOB had me do 10x3 heavy banded bench on Tuesday. What are your thoughts on that?!?

Unless your coach really knows something specific to your success ( or your coach is the face you put in your avatar) I'd say to find a new coach.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
The Monday before the meet I use to lift to my opening weights for each lift then take the rest of the week off with exception of light cardio depending on where I was weight wise.

This not only confirmed in my mind that I had chosen the right openers but also helped me mentally as well...and a lot of visualization prep till the meet.

I loved doing this yesterday.
I know I can get in the meet with no problem, log decent numbers right out the gate and not have to make huge jumps to set a PR.... or three.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
The two meets I did I moved my training days to where I hit my openers a week out from the meet. So if the meet was on Saturday, the Saturday before I would get in my shirt and hit my opener and pretty much stop depending on how the day was going.

If I ever do another meet I think I'll just make the week before a de load and treat it as a normal training cycle. De load the week before the meet, then go to the meet with the goal of maxing out, just like in a training cycle.

Z

Zsquats

Feb 12, 2015
deloading a week before a meet is my least favorite thing about powerlifting, I truly just love training every day so having to back off for a week makes me feel anxious with more energy than i'm used to, the week seems to last forever. but my srength goes up great so there is that!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 2 members watching this topic