Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

L carnitine

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Been reading a lil on this and was wondering if anyone here uses it or has used it. Did you take it stand alone or with other supps? Did it help? Is it good, or overrated?

Was looking into L carnitine liquid by Met Rx.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I actually have to research this for a class I am taking on supplements over winter break...

Curious to find out if it actually does anything

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I actually have to research this for a class I am taking on supplements over winter break...

Curious to find out if it actually does anything

Let us know what you find.

My intial findings have been that it converts, or is supposed to convert food into energy somehow. Would still like to hear feed back on it.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Let us know what you find.

My intial findings have been that it converts, or is supposed to convert food into energy somehow. Would still like to hear feed back on it.

It's used by the body in creating energy by transporting fatty acids into the cellular mitochondria. If you're deficient in carnitine you may notice something by taking it but it's failed pretty miserably in those who aren't deficient in it.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
It's used by the body in creating energy by transporting fatty acids into the cellular mitochondria. If you're deficient in carnitine you may notice something by taking it but it's failed pretty miserably in those who aren't deficient in it.
Thanks.

By moving fatty acids into the cellular mitochondria, does that lead to weight loss or something?

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
I used it before but u wont "feel" anything from it

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Thanks.

By moving fatty acids into the cellular mitochondria, does that lead to weight loss or something?

At the most basic level, weight/fat loss is simply you burning more calories than you eat. The body is always storing fat and oxidizing fat at different rates. What matters is the net balance at the end of the day/week/month. When you cut calories or increase activity levels you end up burning more calories then you eat hence the weight loss. Your body's energy demands aren't met through your food intake so the energy must come from somewhere. Stored fat is one energy source.

Fat is stored in the adipocytes or fat cells. In that state it cannot provide the energy your body needs through the Kreb's cycle or citric acid cycle. The steps involved in making stored fat available for energy on the macro scale are lipolysis (releasing of fatty acids from adipocytes), activation (priming of fatty acids for transport), transport (moving the fatty acids from the cytosol to the mitochondrial membrane via a cartinine transport system), and finally oxidation (turning fatty acids into acetyl-CoA to be used by the Kreb's Cycle for energy.

So carnitine actin as a transport for fatty acids is an important step in the weight/fat loss process but it's rarely, if ever, the rate limiting step UNLESS you happen to be deficient in carnitine intake which isn't too common. By far the two most common rate limiting steps in this cycle are lipolysis (in lean individuals) and oxidation (in obese individuals).

So for those people who are deficient in carnitine, it can help lead to weight loss provided they eat in a calorie deficit, bc there's not enough carnitine to transport all the mobilized fatty acids to be burned off. In the rest of the population, those who get enough carnitine, won't see any added benefit to weight loss bc we have enough carnitine to transport fatty acids to be oxidized. Our issue becomes either mobilizing it or burning it.

Supplement manufacturers can get away with saying it helps with fat loss bc it is an important requirement but they don't tell you that rarely is anyone ever short on it. They'll take a study or two of people who were deficient in carnitine, put them on a weight loss diet, give them carnitine, and claim "carnitine can help with fat loss" and the stuff gets sold to the masses. If you eat red meat regularly, and IC has told me you eat a lot of meat :p, I wouldn't waste my money on it. I'd use it on something more effective like ECA, clen/albut (not a fan personally of these two and they mainly help the already lean ppl mobilize fatty acids only), more tren!, or even DNP (although DNP has risks associated with it's use).

L

LadySparta

Jan 12, 2016
Maybe it's just my mind, but I've found its helped me a bit. I also take other supps as well was thinking of going off it.... we will see:/

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I've taken it. Liquid NOW brand. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on body comp or performance.

G

gymrat827

VIP Member
Nov 5, 2012
LCLT would be a better bet. But dont expect too much without some T3 & albuterol. Like 12.5 & 4mg XR of t3 & alb.

P

Plex78

Dec 23, 2015
I took Met Rx liquid brand two years back for energy and light calorie burning. Noticed a slight more energy during my workouts and some fat loss; not like I needed to lose weight.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic