Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Knees Make Popping Noise During Squats?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I've noticed this over the past couple of squat sessions when the % are higher. Once I get to around parrallel my left knee makes this cracking/popping noise. I can feel it also, but there is 0 pain. Its just a noise. I'm not going to lie though, it is a little uncomfortable to hear it when I'm doing my working sets.

Any idea what this is? Just want to try and address it now instead of later.

EDIT: Also, my knee does something similar during normal activites. Again, no pain, just a cracking/popping noise.

Goliac7

Goliac7

MuscleHead
Feb 20, 2015
Yeah I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this too. Have had this problem for years. No pain, but awfully annoying.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Popping can be a very nonspecific indication. It can either be nothing, "settling" of tendons etc, or it could be the beginning of a meniscus tear or other. No pain is a good thing though. Do you remember any kind of acute injury?

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
[video]https://youtu.be/OuJ8NrMJj10[/video]

Thanks for the video. I'm gonna give these a shot! Do I do all that stuff BEFORE squats, or AFTER?

Man, he is a wealth of knowledge. I would love to get to talk to him in person.

Popping can be a very nonspecific indication. It can either be nothing, "settling" of tendons etc, or it could be the beginning of a meniscus tear or other. No pain is a good thing though. Do you remember any kind of acute injury?

Thanks man. No injury that I know of. My knees have always been achy since I was a kid, and would cause me a little pain. I definitely will have some knee pain though doing certain things. If I squat straight down, it hurts my knees. And after my squat workouts, my knees are achy. They are better by the next day.

N

Nerve

May 11, 2015
Generally, if there's no pain, there's nothing to worry about. Crepitus is extremely common.

My left knee makes a crackling noise sometimes. It has for years - both for years prior to my surgery, as well as to this day. My left hip kind of "thumps" when I do side-to-side leg swings. One of my shoulders makes a similar "thump" or "pop" on occasion. Wrist, elbows make noise. None of them hurt when these sounds occur. Doesn't worry me in the slightest.

If you suffered some sort of trauma to the knee recently & this developed after that, then maybe you'd want to get it looked at. If it's new period maybe you'd want to get it looked at - but it could probably be attributed to getting older.

EDIT: If they're sore post squatting, then maybe you should take a serious look at your form. Could be something off with it that is putting unnecessary stress onto the joint. My knee occasionally bothers me after squatting and/or deadlifting, but I also had it operated on about 4 years ago. Any pain or discomfort in that knee is fairly rare.

Last edited:
Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Exactly what he said. My knees give Rice Krispies a run for thier money :)

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
I did a lot of work to build up my vmo and that helped a lot also tapped knees on legs day.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Tg same here. I'm fighting a tracking issue right now. I always forget the silly little stuff that makes such a difference.

P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
Louie Simmons said it once and I will say it again: BOX SQUAT!

I had knee problems for years from street fights, football, martial arts, and making it on the floor with the X.

But now, no knee problems. And all because I box squat. NOTE: You have to learn how to box squat correctly or you will go from no knee problems to back problems. It took me over half-a-year to box squat correctly.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Generally, if there's no pain, there's nothing to worry about. Crepitus is extremely common.

My left knee makes a crackling noise sometimes. It has for years - both for years prior to my surgery, as well as to this day. My left hip kind of "thumps" when I do side-to-side leg swings. One of my shoulders makes a similar "thump" or "pop" on occasion. Wrist, elbows make noise. None of them hurt when these sounds occur. Doesn't worry me in the slightest.

If you suffered some sort of trauma to the knee recently & this developed after that, then maybe you'd want to get it looked at. If it's new period maybe you'd want to get it looked at - but it could probably be attributed to getting older.

EDIT: If they're sore post squatting, then maybe you should take a serious look at your form. Could be something off with it that is putting unnecessary stress onto the joint. My knee occasionally bothers me after squatting and/or deadlifting, but I also had it operated on about 4 years ago. Any pain or discomfort in that knee is fairly rare.

Thank you for this. There has been no recent trauma to either knee. My knees have always been sore after sqautting. The soreness is higher now because I moved my squat stance in to a narrower stance about 3 weeks ago. I can get better drive with a closer stance. But the problem with that is, my knees seem to have more pressure on them.

I iced them yesterday, 10 mins per knee. That seemed to help a bunch. I need to find a tennis ball so I can try that rehab movement in the video POB posted.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic