Members
Latest Member
severedthumbz

Klovov= Unreal

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Brother iron what do you think the Russians and Iranians are doing in training and drugs that the USA team can't seem to match them?

We don't invest the money into any of it like they do. It's a national sport for them.

Same answer, slightly different twist:

we boxing fans often lament the lack of excitement in the Hwt division these days, esp. from American fighters, blaming it in part due to all the possible future stars choosing to aim for NFL or NBA instead.

so it goes with American OL, the guys who might emerge are instead going into PL, or strongman, or . . . . . football.

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
I just wonder do Russians and Iranians have better genetics or blood lines when it comes to lifting.its a shame the USA doesn't invest money into it because with 300 million plus people there is a genetic freak lifter out there waiting to be discovered like that young farm boy who beat the Russian in the super heavies in wrestling back in the 2000 Olympics the Russian had never been defeated in his last two Olympics and was favourite but to loose to the young fella.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I guess cheating is in the eyes of the beholder, and my eyes are older than yours lol. Or . . . . . just so I don't sound like I'm 100 yo, as a kid I used to read a lot about the "back in the day" that happened before my own back in the day. The damn lift was originally called the military press, so named cause you had to stand erect and with heels together AND press the bar steadily in sync with the ref slowly raising his hand, and you couldn't get to the top before his hand did. You are absolutely correct that Redding and Alexeev ( < I have seen many spellings for that one lol, not sure any one is correct, we are going Russian > English, who knows? ) were not cheating, after all, the presses were passed by the judges. But that is because interpretation of rules evolved during the 1900's up till they dropped the press from the OL in the early 1970's, ( partially ) because it was so ambiguous to officiate. That leaning back we both cite became like a standing Incline Press, but it was not done slowly, instead the lifter fell back from the bar as much as he lifted it. They also preceded this by leaning back with knees bent while the bar was still on the chest, then heaving forward and straightening legs to launch the bar a few inches before leaning back and away from it. With the press in, the 3 OL were often called "the press and the 2 quick lifts," but the press became a quick lift too and eventually went the way of the dinosaur. I am in no way in favor of that ridiculously strictness-overkill press from way, way back, btw, guess I was just saying this current Klovov push press showed more pure strength and less "athleticism" than medal winning Olympians did during the 1960-70's.

Being older has very little to do with knowledge and actual personal experience with the sport. Where you may have read about it, I live it for years and many on this board know my background and know I'm not full of shit. In fact if you know Oly lifting well you know my heritage from the avatar I use on this board. I come from a facility that has more national championships than all others combined. I've had the pleasure of training with the best the US had to offer in the 2000's.

You are correct in the there were 3 lifts back in the day and they did drop the "press" b/c it was becoming to difficult to judge. It wasn't due to the dropping of their knees b/c that wasn't allowed. The legs were to remain locked b/c it was a strict press. It was b/c of the lean you're talking about. They also changed the rules in the 70's I believe in 1974 where the bar could brush against the lifter's body which is why lifters of old had more developed upper bodies than those of today.

I've had the pleasure of training with coaches who personally knew Serge Redding (did you know he was a librarian), Anatoli Pisarenko (did you know he worked for the Russian mob), and many other of the top lifters back in the day.

Here's the vid of Serge's WR lift that stood for a few minutes....

Last edited by a moderator:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I just wonder do Russians and Iranians have better genetics or blood lines when it comes to lifting.its a shame the USA doesn't invest money into it because with 300 million plus people there is a genetic freak lifter out there waiting to be discovered like that young farm boy who beat the Russian in the super heavies in wrestling back in the 2000 Olympics the Russian had never been defeated in his last two Olympics and was favourite but to loose to the young fella.

No, they do not have better genetics. They win b/c they begin training their lifters at a very early age ie. 8yo. They actually had 2 schools in the 80's and 90's. They had a school for acedemics and a school for athletes. In fact they did an interview with Rigert (the Russian Coach) and he said if he had our pool to pull athletes from they'd never lose. We just don't invest any time or money into the sport which is why we've dropped so low now that we don't have any spots to send anyone to the next Olympics.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic