Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Keeping Your ACL, MCL And Knees Healthy

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
So this is a topic I really want to learn more about.

I'm trying to get stronger at squats, and I want to do prevention to keep my knees healthy.

Right now, I do light leg extensions, leg curls, and I stretch my hamstrings, and I try to do my quads when I remember.

What else can I do to keep these 3 healthy?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Wanna keep them healthy??? First thing... ditch leg extensions. Worst thing for your knees. Second... start performing pool runs. There's more but that's a good start.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Proper squat technique comes first. Using manageable weight is next.

Like bi said ditch the extensions. That puts huge sheering force on the knee. Any open chain movement does this. So stick to things where the knee only bends if the foot is planted.

Acl injury is not that common when squatting. It's more common in an athlete that is running and then quickly changes direction.

Keeping the whole chain mobile is important as well. Rolling your it bands daily, stretching the adductors, hamstrings and psoas. All of these add up to a healthy knee.

Also box squatting is much better than squatting in terms of knee health. I have several guys I work with that have frequent knee pain. Getting them to squat to a box takes a lot of pressure off the knee and puts it into the hip.

And deca.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Ditch the machines and do heavy posterior chain work. Deadlifts, SLDL, RDL, etc. Imbalances between the quads and hamstrings have led to many knee injuries. T

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Thank you guys for the replies!

I'll drop the leg extensions.

Also, where are your IT bands?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Basically down the side of your thighs...

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Basically down the side of your thighs...

First time I used the rumble roller on the IT bands I thought it was some new Chinese torture technique. After 2wks most of the knots had gotten worked out and feel much better now.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Inside would be the adductor

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic