Judge orders turnover of encryption password

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
Technolog - Judge orders woman to give up password to hard drive

Judge orders woman to give up password to hard drive
By Suzanne Choney

In the future, your hard drive may not be your hard drive: A federal judge has ruled that a Colorado woman, charged in a mortgage scam case, must turn over the password needed to decrypt her hard drive so that police can view the files on it.

Ramona Fricosu was given until Feb. 21 to comply with the order by U.S. District Court Judge Robert Blackburn. The judge said Fricosu's defense — the Fifth Amendment's right against self-incrimination — did not apply in the case, in which she is charged with bank fraud, wire fraud and money laundering.

"I find and conclude that the Fifth Amendment is not implicated by requiring production of the unencrypted contents of the Toshiba Satellite M305 laptop computer," the judge said in his ruling Tuesday, as reported by CNET.
advertisement

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a digital civil liberties organization that filed an amicus brief on Fricosu's behalf, had argued that Fricosu should not be compelled to give up her password because it would violate her Fifth Amendment right, and there was no immunity "offered for loss of this protection."

In addition, the EFF said, the government had not specified what it was looking for on the Fricosu's laptop, making it seem like an "evidence-fishing trip."

But the U.S. Attorney's Office said in court documents that if Fricosuwasn't ordered to unlock her computer, it would result in a "concession to her and potential criminals (be it in child exploitation, national security, terrorism, financial crimes or drug trafficking cases) that encrypting all inculpatory digital evidence will serve to defeat the efforts of law enforcement officers to obtain such evidence through judicially authorized search warrants, and thus make their prosecution impossible.”

As CNET's Declan McCullagh wrote, "The question of whether a criminal defendant can be legally compelled to cough up his encryption passphrase remains an unsettled one, with law review articles for at least the last 15 years arguing the merits of either approach."

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
How is that different from ordering a drug dealer to produce the drugs that he is holding??? WTF... This pisses me off quite a bit. I mean their argument is "well encryption makes it really really hard for us to imprison our citizens, so we'll just ignore that pesky bill of rights and pound you in the ass"

This is a great post Goldy..

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
"sorry I do not recall" is the roper answer when required to produce a password.

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Install Windows on the IronKey and boot from it.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
This is such bull shit, she has rights, and she also has a right to not say a word, which I hope she fully utilizes.

Last edited:
kingkrazy1012

kingkrazy1012

Dec 1, 2011
This is right up there with the SOPO bill that is in the House.

Freedoms being taken away a little at a time.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Would somebody please post up a good link to information regarding Ironkey? I've seen it discussed and it sounds like a good way to keep everything secure, but I know little about it. Is it a program or an external drive or what?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
So it does nothing for information that has already been saved/burned/processed through the computer. The computer would have to be wiped completely clean first, and then all traffic from there on out that you wanted to keep safe would have to be accessed through the ironkey flash drive. Am I on the right track here TID?

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Yes SAD think of it as a separate secure storage device.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic