Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Jerseys Log

Jersey Steel

Jersey Steel

Dec 6, 2011
I'm new to logging my workouts. Didn't really see the importance of it for a while. I see a lot of guys and gals logging everything they do into their cell phones nowadays that is interesting. I just use the PC Notepad and try out a weeks routine and if I like it I save the file. I tried doing a PL routine (doing benches and squats alternating with Deadlifts and Squats) that just killed me after 3 weeks. Right now I'm doing a 4-day split because hitting the day extra hard and making sure I don't hit the same muscle group twice in a row indirectly is what helps me recover from ongoing tweaks that has been aggravating me for months.
I've learned to keep my elbows in as much as possible and use a more narrow grip on the bench for example. I'm doing this natural so I don't expect any monster gains in the short term. So far no injury that has taken me out that I couldn't work around.
Here is my sample:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Friday

All Barbell Benching 3 Levels up to 80% Max 6 sets of 6 - 8
(alternate the next week with Barbell Presses)

Pec Deck hammerSmith Bench Machines

Heavy Pin Wheel Dumbell Curls SuperSetted with Seated Barbell Curls

Incline Bench Alternating Curls SuperSetted with Standing Alternating Curls

Concentrated Cable Curls

-------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday

Quads First SQUAT 7 Sets of 7 starting at 225 (+1 warmup at 185)
SMITH Forward SQUAT Heels in front 7 Sets of 7
3 Sets Hack squats 4 Set Reverse hack Squats
7 Sets Leg Press
3 Sets Leg Extensions

5 Sets of Alternating Hams 5 Sets of Calves
5 Sets of Leg Curls 5 Sets of Calves

----------------------------------------------------------

Sunday Just ABS and Bike (just regular 45 minute pace)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Monday: This is a Major Big Day so Break up in 2 Stages

7 sets Deads to 405 Mixed Grip 5 Sets Rack Pulls to 440 Straps (Going to work on a Hook Grip I never used before to get the Raw lift #s up)

Single arm Barbell Rows holding onto Power Rack ~ Anchor End with 45s

5 Sets Dumbell Reverse Flys for rear delts on Incline Bench

5 Sets Lower Back Machine 5 Sets Weighted HyperExtensions

P.M.

Dumbell Rows Narrow Grip Pull Downs Smith Pull Back Machine Barbell Pullovers

Face Pulls Any Rows you can do Even Seated Alternating

Finish With as many Pull ups you can do

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday: Shoulders Triceps

4 Sets each Close Grip Bench +1 warmup 5 sets Bench Barbell Skullcrushers

5 Sets Military Press 5 Sets Side Laterals 5 Sets Cable Reverse Low Crosses

4 sets Rope Pushdowns 5 Sets Dips Supersetted with V bar Cable Pushdowns

5 Sets Rope Low Cable Pull ups between Legs

5 Sets Alternating Dumbell Snatch

5 Sets Alternating Seated Tri Hammer Curls

5 Sets Cable Laterals

Finish with 2 sets of pushups to Failure

------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday and Thursday ABS and Bike (45 minutes regular Pace)

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
im so happy that you have decided to step into the online journally Jersey! looking forward to following along and seeing how you grow! :D

Jersey Steel

Jersey Steel

Dec 6, 2011
Good morning! Thanks for the encouragement :) I still don't really know why I'm pushing myself so hard. Only thing that comes to mind was a guy I complimented and said I would like to achieve his physique one day smugly responded "Well it took me 30 years to look this way".. LOL We'll see if I can do the same in 3 years

Last edited by a moderator:
Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Good start to the log Jersey! The hook grip is tough, I can feel the bizarre tingling in my thumbs from doing some a couple of days ago. Looking forward to watching you kill it, keep it up!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Welcome to the logs jersey. It takes a little extra work but it's worth it.

Jersey Steel

Jersey Steel

Dec 6, 2011
Samples from Todays Leg Work

Last edited by a moderator:
AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
nice videos jersey! i would recommend widening your stance on your box squats and deloading on the bench. keep your back tight but take the weight off the legs. it makes a huge difference in their effectiveness and allows you to strengthen the hip flexors which i believe is one of the big reasons to do box squats.

front squats looked good. nice idea to use the smith for them. makes it easier to hold the bar!

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
Nice job jersey! Squats look great but I would look into some knee wraps at those weights. I will help u preserve ur knees. Help with the return up also.

Jersey Steel

Jersey Steel

Dec 6, 2011
AllTheWay
nice videos jersey! i would recommend widening your stance on your box squats and deloading on the bench. keep your back tight but take the weight off the legs. it makes a huge difference in their effectiveness and allows you to strengthen the hip flexors which i believe is one of the big reasons to do box squats
I felt it in my flexors at 405 and couldn't even get my ass to the bench at the wide stance and deloaded and went a more narrow stance. I did 45 minutes bike and bunch of Plyo jumps last night so probably the Squats should have waited :D

jandj0821
Nice job jersey! Squats look great but I would look into some knee wraps at those weights. I will help u preserve ur knees. Help with the return up also.

Great idea about bringing the wraps for the last 2 or 3 heavy sets as soon as I put a belt on. I was nailing it nice last week at 425. I probably should have went periodic today at a lower weight for best form / more reps but I was filming this one :eek: Thanks :)

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Nice job on the squatting jersey.

I would just say to keep in mind that the tendency in the first year of training is to keep adding to squat numbers even if it shortens the ROM. You have a good load there and I think you'll get more out of it by sticking with it until you're getting to parallel or even lightening the load a little and deepening the ROM. Most of us are guilty of this, although most won't admit it. The video always tells the truth even though we feel we're going much deeper when the bar is on our back. Compare your depth on the fronts with the depth on the back squats. The front depth will get you much better development IMO.

Your flat DB presses looked good too.

Jersey Steel

Jersey Steel

Dec 6, 2011
Nice job on the squatting jersey.

I would just say to keep in mind that the tendency in the first year of training is to keep adding to squat numbers even if it shortens the ROM. You have a good load there and I think you'll get more out of it by sticking with it until you're getting to parallel or even lightening the load a little and deepening the ROM. Most of us are guilty of this, although most won't admit it. The video always tells the truth even though we feel we're going much deeper when the bar is on our back. Compare your depth on the fronts with the depth on the back squats. The front depth will get you much better development IMO.

Your flat DB presses looked good too.

Yes, I go periodic and 1/2 my Squat Training is a lower Weight Narrow-Stance ATG style with the bar a little higher keeping the back as straight as possible. I'm at 265# at the max for 5-6 Reps and my Goal is 315# The regular parallel squat I just use it to Guage any gains and explosive power. This is the first time I've ever filmed my workout and I really thought I was sitting deeper on the 365#s until now. My last 2 sets of those I Deload to 345# and 315# and actually sit more in the hole even pausing.

I compare it to Deadlifting. Keep it to the max around 70-75% for a month and see what comes from the Super Max Day.

I really appreciate the feedback I'm never defensive about any criticism :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic