Members
Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Iron = the new gold?

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
So why are dumbbells and plates so expensive?

I have been hunting on craigslist for dumbbells for the past year and not much of anything has come up in my area. I checked some local shops and nearly shit myself when I saw $1.00+ per pound for regular hex dumbbells. I haven't bought any db's in about 8 years, but I recall paying about $0.40 per pound.

I can buy a car for what a full rack would cost. That's nuts!

Anyways, are there any adjustable dumbbells that go over 50lbs? These would be a great solution if I could find larger ones. I have a very small area for my gym.

Also, for anyone who has used the adjustable db's, how is the balance of them? Do the feel alright?

Body_Builder

Body_Builder

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2010
Powerblocks go up to 90lb's but couldn't tell you about the balance. Never used them

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
I've noticed the same Tiny, wanting to set up a gym at home and FUCK is a set of Dbells expensive!

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Powerblocks or Ironmasters though i'd still prefer hex dbs im having the same issue as you.

F

FitnessFreek

Dec 11, 2011
Tell your whole family to buy you some DBs for X-mas lol.

Patriot1405

Patriot1405

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2011
I prefer hex DB myself, but too expensive. I have the bowflex 10-90.
They work well, seem well balanced. Of course you can't drop them on the floor. Have mine for two years now no problem. Been searching Craigslist for 110lb DB, for months now!

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks for the info on the ironmaster dumbbells, they are styled much like a traditional hex dumbbell. Other than being a bit long when loaded up with plates.

Gotta see if I can track these down to feel them out.

About $800 for a set up to 120lbs with a stand is much better than regular dumbbells.

Thanks again!

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
you need to find a gym that goes under. i know someone who just sold a $100k gym setup for $12k and another place called bar benders that sold the entire gym for $33k at auction. One guy bought it all, filled a shipping container, and sent it to jamica or somewhere in that area.

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
Peak Fitness for sale -Clemmons, NC, now bank owned.

F

FitnessFreek

Dec 11, 2011
That might get me one or 2 dbs in the 50lb range not the 160+ i'd like.

You need a bigger family! haha yeah you can even find some apartment complexes that are upgrading their workout room they will basically give it away. The problem with that is a lot of them give away machines but you can get lucky and find some that have a lot of dumbbells.

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
First post I can intelligently respond on. Gotta hit craigslist daily on dumbells; and negotiate the prices.

Took me over a year and I have 35 lbs to 80 lbs (increments of 5 lbs) a set of 90 lbs and 1 single 110 (I'm still looking for it's soulmate). Craigslist also provided all the olympic weights needed to curl and bench bar for around 40 cents on the pound. The +100 go really fast so that's why you gotta hit them daily and it'll be tough to get it too much less than a $1.00 a pound.

If it's cast hex dumbells; you best to find them rusted (dirt cheap) and have some bodyshop blast them clean (very cheap to do). I've gotten them for 25 cents a pound and had a buddy who worked on bike parts blast them. Haven't coated them either and their still no rust.

Always ask for a lower price on craigslist; it's a meat market out for weights; many people will look up prices at retailers (usually about 1.00 per lbs) and post for right around that. Offer them half and you'll pick it up the next day, and I usually get the sale. Also look for out of state; I traveled 4 hrs to pick some up; but just so happened to line of a trip in that directions. Worked great.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic