Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Insulin Resistance & The Drug Metformin

J

joedaddy

Sep 26, 2010
Since I have gotten into my late 30's it has been impossible for me to get below 10.6% body fat regardless of exercise, diet, AAS, Clen and T-3. A couple of months ago I took a A1C test and it came back 5.7.

My doctor told me it was normal but when I looked online I found out that while "normal" is between 4.5 and 6, 5.7 to 6.0 is prediabetes type II which is insulin resistance. I went for a second opinion, he took bloods also and got the same result. He also said it was "normal" even when I explained what I read online.

Both doctors, who are very nice and smart, basically scoffed at me when I said I can't get below 10.6% body fat.

Well, I'm tired of being 11%-12% body fat and I'm tired of being scoffed at.

I tried various supplements, I tried increasing my protein intake and recently I tried rye bread. Yes, rye bread is supposed to reverse Type II diabetes. Nothing has worked.

Now I want to try Metformin a prescription drug that treats Type II diabetes by removing the sugar from your blood. I can try one more doctor; but if he rejects me I will have to get it another way.

My question is, what do you all think about this and would anyone try Metformin?

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I'd like to hear what your fasting blood sugars are like. Your A1C is normal I think you are being a little paranoid. It is VERY difficult for anyone to get below 10% bodyfat...and Metformin is not really gonna help in that department anyway (weight loss).

Gregger

Gregger

MuscleHead
Dec 16, 2012
You have to trend closer to 7 (ACE) to be pre... My norms are 5.9-6.3

I'm on Met, it's used to suppress the liver from releasing glucose. Not necessarily cleaning out sugar from the blood. Met also has sides for some, all gastrointestinal, over 500g and I have issues... Some have severe cramps, diarrhea, etc

Mike is correct, you're A1C is normal and my Internal Med Docs prescribed the Met to help me drop a few pounds

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
JD, tell us about your diet and exercise and how you have attempted to get below 10% bf. Maybe we can help you with that.

I have been dieting for 11 months, and went from well over 20% down to 13% BF at the moment. As I have gotten leaner, my fat loss has slowed considerably. Now I am losing about 1% BF per month if I am lucky. And yes, I have come off the diet from time to time so my fat loss hasn't stopped, it has just slowed quite a bit.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You got a second opinion and they concur. I think it would be unwise to just dispense with their medical advice.

Metformin isn't going to get you sub 10%. A professional diet coach might though. I would say it's smarter to spend the money there.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic