Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Increasing stance width and glute activation during squats

Mike Singletary

Mike Singletary

Sep 8, 2010
Many of us consider using back squats for preferential activation of quads, hams, and glutes. to achieve this we might use different loads, foot angles, stance width, etc.

Well paoli et al. (2009) studied the effects of specific stance width and loads on different muscles of the thigh. six experience trainees performed squats at 3 different stance widths and 3 different loads. the 3 stances were narrow (hip width), wide (double the hip width), and "in-between." the 3 loads were 0, 30% 1 rep max, and 70% 1 rep max.

Interestingly, the results showed that the only significant difference in emg muscle activation was for glute max with increases in stance width and loads. so their were no differences in emg activation for other muscles with different stances.

We might use a narrow stance thinking quads or medial quads are activated more. when in fact we might be just training all the muscles of the thigh equally the same during back squats.

So for those who care about glute hypertrophy, do some back squats with a wide stance?

Do you change your foot positions, stance widths or range of motion to stress different muscles during squats?

Abstract:
Paoli, A, Marcolin, G, and Petrone, N. The effect of stance width on the electromyographical activity of eight superficial thigh muscles during back squat with different bar loads. J Strength Cond Res 23(1): 246-250, 2009-Many strength trainers believe that varying the stance width during the back squat can target specific muscles of the thigh. The aim of the present work was to test this theory measuring the activation of 8 thigh muscles while performing back squats at 3 stance widths and with 3 different bar loads. Six experienced lifters performed 3 sets of 10 repetitions of squats, each one with a different stance width, using 3 resistances: no load, 30% of 1-repetition maximum (1RM), and 70% 1RM. Sets were separated by 6 minutes of rest. Electromyographic (EMG) surface electrodes were placed on the vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, rectus femoris, semitendinosus, biceps femoris, gluteus maximus, gluteus medium, and adductor maior. Analysis of variance and Scheffe post hoc tests indicated a significant difference in EMG activity only for the gluteus maximus; in particular, there was a higher electrical activity of this muscle when back squats were performed at the maximum stance widths at 0 and 70% 1RM. There were no significant differences concerning the EMG activity of the other analyzed muscles. These findings suggest that a large width is necessary for a greater activation of the gluteus maximus during back squats.
(C) 2009 National Strength and Conditioning Association

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i have only been doing a wide stance for a month or a little longer and i have noticed a huge difference in my glutes! baby want back? go wide :D

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
i have only been doing a wide stance for a month or a little longer and i have noticed a huge difference in my glutes! baby want back? go wide :D

I am definitely going to try this out as a change up from the norm.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Well why can I go heavier with a wider stance? Is it just a mechanical advantage?

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
My stance for a long time use to be very wide....Untill i started haveing problems pulling my ham string for some reason..Now i have to step in closer....Not as far as i use to stand...But def wide stance is def the ticket for a nice ass.....dw

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I always go wide stance, so I guess I just have to do more to get that booty built up :)

mscldrew

mscldrew

Sep 11, 2010
Good info Im curious how does it affect your power?

L

LiftLife

Oct 22, 2012
I have been squatting wide stance for 3yrs, heavy loads ranging in reps, 5-10 & 10-20.. I find that i rly maintain tight glutes with just wide stance, not weight or rep variance.. Also wide stance has help reduce knee pain.. Form is key..

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I use a wide and a narrow stance. I back squat wide (I'm raw so it's not crazy wide) to get the best leverages and lift the most weight. I front squat narrow to have the greatest carryover to my conventional deadlift. I def feel it more in the hams, glutes, and adductors when I squat wide. I feel it much more in my quads when I squat narrow but than again my knee position is different in those 2 lifts which changes the mechanics and therefore changes what gets worked to.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
a little wider that shoulder width, standard if you will, is most comfortable for me. I have tried the sumo stance, in reference to deadlift style width, very uncomfortable but i gave it an honest run, just couldnt get the wide stance groove.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
Well why can I go heavier with a wider stance? Is it just a mechanical advantage?

i believe you are roughly my height pob, 5'9, my legs are a little long in comparison to my torso, and you know i have tried wide stance squats along with sumo deads to no avail, however, you can still do wide stance whereas i cannot, without discomfort. not 'heavy weight' discomfort either.you know, just cant find the groove.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
a little wider that shoulder width, standard if you will, is most comfortable for me. I have tried the sumo stance, in reference to deadlift style width, very uncomfortable but i gave it an honest run, just couldnt get the wide stance groove.

i believe you are roughly my height pob, 5'9, my legs are a little long in comparison to my torso, and you know i have tried wide stance squats along with sumo deads to no avail, however, you can still do wide stance whereas i cannot, without discomfort. not 'heavy weight' discomfort either.you know, just cant find the groove.

You could do it if you were to box squat to parallel as a training method. I can almost guarantee it

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic