Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
AKC83
What's New?

If anyone is an aspiring Personal Trainer...

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
Wanted to pass on some info for any of you guys considering personal training as a career. There is a useful book titled: "THE EVERYTHING GUIDE - TO BEING A PERSONAL TRAINER"

It covers everything from choosing a work environment, building a business low, to finding clientele and networking.

The most important point stressed in the book is becoming certified by an accredited organization. Here are some accredited agencies listed as some of.the "top" places to obtain your certification:

I know this isn't an average post but I just wanted to share this info in hopes it helps someone! Any-hoo...here is that list:

1) American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) www.acsm.org

2) National Strength and Conditioning Assc. (NSCA) www.nsca.com

3) National Federation of Personal Trainers (NFPT) www.nfpt.com

4) National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF) www.ncsf.org

Last edited:
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Going to bring some bad news. Even if you don't get one of the top accredited (There are many more out there that actually contain the same exact info, FYI) you get paid the same money. I took another course, and I compared my testing material as well as my study material, and miraculously, it was almost exactly the same as the ones listed above.

I was certified through NESTA, and it was recognized by any major gym in the country. NESTA was way cheaper at the time I got mine as well, but I think the cost has gone up. NOt sure how it compares now.

Just putting that out there.

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
It also is a constant series of "re-certifications" and. adding to your already expensive certificate by some requiring you to add to your credits...

I decided against it personally due to several different reasons....however, this book is a good read if you are considering it. Thanks for adding your first hand knowledge bro!

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
It also is a constant series of "re-certifications" and. adding to your already expensive certificate by some requiring you to add to your credits...

I decided against it personally due to several different reasons....however, this book is a good read if you are considering it. Thanks for adding your first hand knowledge bro!

Yeah, years after I had stopped training, someone told me that my cert wasn't any good any longer if I didn't do any con ed. I was like WTF are you talking about?! Some big group got together and decided personal trainers should have continuous education. LMFAO I think it's a joke, honestly, because 90% of what you learn in these classes actually dont make you a better trainer. There are two problems I have with personal training educations.

1. A lot of what I learned in PT courses didn't show me how to train most people. What I read on my own time, through free sources, have.

2. Application is a big deal. We can discuss physics, biomechanics etc until we are blue in the face, but how many people know how to actually apply it? There are MAYBE three trainers I know of locally that know how to apply the stuff, and it's all because of one major reason; They apply most of what they learned on their own, outside of the personal training course. It's a sad, sad truth.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic