Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

husband is confusing me on cardio vs lifting

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
For diet advice, I'd advise you read Shelby Starnes carb cycling info. He learned from Justin Harris who is probably one of the most knowledgeable people I know when it comes to diet.

O

oldnslow

Jun 6, 2013
Second Shelby Starnes and carb cycling. Keep tweaking to keep losing a pound or so a week and be patient. Just my 2 cents.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Cardio is a very inefficient weight loss tool as compared to just eating a structured deficit. It all depends on goals though. If preserving as much muscle mass as possible is desired, lift and eat at a deficit.

If you like to do the treadmill thing....great do it for health. A few 20 min sessions a few times a week is great for general cardiovascular shape and health. Cardio sucks as a weight loss tool from a time investment. It is easier just to eat less.

Cardio may become necessary as you approach lower levels of bodyfat. (getting close to essential fat levels...read 'contest shape') but sounds like that is not what you are desiring.

Learn how to construct a proper caloric deficit and do not rely on increasing your activity so you can eat more (or lose more)

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
A lot of great advice here already,

mostly I would tell him to shove it unless he has successfully implemented and trained a female recently to the look/conditioning you want…. Sounds like you're doing great already, and get of the damn scale, start watching measurements and pictures/mirror weekly instead…. I had a goal going in for weight, and 80 lbs in a realized I would have to be 0% body fat and lose 5 lbs of muscle to reach it…. wasn't worth it!

Goals are fluid just keep moving forward!

foxycrafty

foxycrafty

TID Lady Member
Mar 8, 2014
yeah, I'm NOT going to listen to him. What I AM going to do is keep lifting, drop those boring Zumba classes - oh my god, I effin' hate going to those - and add some sprints to my outdoor walks/hikes as soon as I learn how HIIT works and how to do it right, decrease my calories if needed and tweek my macros. Thanks for the reading list - that's going to help me tremendously! Thanks, everyone, for your advise and positivity. I really like it here. Bitchin' Strong Body, here I come!!

Fanofiron

Fanofiron

May 11, 2014
Simple answer u are right and he is wrong. 1 lb of muscle burns 5 lbs of fat. Wanna burn 20lbs but on 4 lbs of lean muscle. Larry Scott told me that.

Hiit/tabata cardio is stellar and a great way to trim up but I'd never suggest someone drops the weights for cardio only. I've burned 800-1000 cals in 1 hours just weights. Try that with cardio!

Diet is key. Not only are the macros crucial but how u manipulate them ie carb cycling. I myself don't feel good on low carbs for long. Some ppl don't like super low carbs with a 1 day a week carb refeed program and prefer a carb cycling where u have 3 days low carbs with a carb up 4th day. U may respond well to this sort of program.

Another big pitfall I see ppl fall into is once they get into diet mode they never wanna cheat. This is a big mistake. If the body constantly see low cals and low carbs it goes into fat store mode as it thinks this is all the carbs and cals it's going to see. By throwing in those refeed or cheat days u trick the metobolism to crank back up and the fat loss continues.

If u have hit a wall it's time to try carb cycling or adjusting the macros.

Keep up the hard work! Cheers!

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic