Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

How frequently to compete?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Straight forward question with I'm sure a ton of gray area in the answer... Thinking about how frequently can I compete? I just did, and now I'm looking at a comp in October in my area. Too soon? How often do you guys compete...

Its in my blood now. And its all I'm thinking about.... I'm still a little fried from the weekend but I'm just cramming food down my throat and resting up. Hope to be training again by Friday afternoon.

Just give me your thoughts on it... I don't want to burn out.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
I've always heard 2-3 per year. just my thoughts.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I personally plan on 3 per year, but only blasting into two of them. Some of the guys I talked to at the meet say they compete every two-three months, but with a proper build up and as taxing as we both know that one day is, I can't imagine more than once every 4 months.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I figured in my head that every 4 months would almost be pushing it and that three would be safer. At least if you want to hit some PR's... You need that time to build up speed etc...

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I agree with 2 to 3. It depends on how fast you really recover. The oldr I get the less I can handle

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Mar 31, 2011
For me 2 or 3 times. Just depends what you're looking to accomplish between meets. Me personally, I like to take a month or so to ease off the heavy weights for the sake of my joints and CNS. Then enough time to get my lifts to the level I want them to be at. I want to go in and crush my old lifts and total every time.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
It depends on your goals.... a lot of guys will line up 2 or 3 in a row then take an off season. So, compete 2 or 3 times over 4 or 5 months and then let your body heal and train up for next time.

Some other guys will compete 2x or so a year and try to peak for both of them.

When you are newer you can compete more often because you are still getting a feel for what you are capable of. It might take 3 or 4 to really get a feel for how to call your attempts, when to wrap knees etc...

So, if you feel good and you feel like you could do better than your last contest or just want some more experience by all means, go for it.
If you are fried and/or don't think you could do any better than your last one then take a break and put in some training before the next one.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ok looks like I'm not doing the comp in October then :(

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic