Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

How Dumb was this move?

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
Had some guy knock on my door claiming to work for a meat company and having a surplus of beef to unload. I knew it was a line, but figured what the hell, maybe I can score a good deal on some nice cuts of beef. Got all the steaks in the following photo's for $650

15g2jv7.jpg

Everything on the bottom two shelves is individually vacuum packed steak. He claimed it was Black Angus USDA choice grade. A total liar I think would have just made the claim it was Prime grade. Not saying the guy didn't give me a sleazy feeling, but... Well here are some close ups:

k9ffqh.jpg

2a0hlyw.jpg

So how much of a sucker am I? Talked the guy down hundreds of $ at least.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Wow.

That doesn't sound that bad.

So if you paid $450 I think that amount of red meat would cost more in the at the market.

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
I paid $650 for all of it. That was the price after talking him down. On the bright side they are all good cuts, porterhouse, NY strip, ribeye, filet, there are like 4 packs of hamburger patties... The rest are all nice cuts of steak. Individually vacuum packed.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Sorry I misread it and thought you talked him down on that price.

I think that is still a good deal.

I have spent $50 on red meat before and hardly got anything.

P

pakina9

Mar 20, 2013
mmmmmm.mmmmm...love me some steaks....I got suckered to buy the same stuff a while back...only $150 dollars worth though..not as much meat as you have there either..they were thinner than I like & most of them were tough as hell..never again..hopefully yours is better

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Why anyone buys meat off a truck baffles me... Did you inquire about his licenses?

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Doesn't look bad to me....

One of my employees' Dad own a butcher shop; I told him to grab me 4 steaks this week and I'd pay him.

2 t-bones, 2 ribeyes

$83

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
Those steaks look fine, just make sure you cook em medium rare. If they are tough open em the night before thaw them and revac pack with water and meat tenderizering agent. Works for me.

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
And the verdict is... it's super good meat. I thawed out one of the ribeyes and a pack of the tenderloin medallions. The ribeye was cut thinner than I prefer my steak but it was soft as butter and the flavor was very good. The medallions weren't anything special, but I've never been a big fan of them anyway. Tenderloin is a pretty bland cut of meat IMO. The ribeye though, damn it was good. Going back I probably wouldn't do it again, but it's done now so I aint gonna lose any sleep over it.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
We get them coming by all the time. Refrigerated meat trucks with the guys selling the ''extars''. I bought some once, it was topnotch beef, many different cuts BUT i wouldnt do it again, too skeery

56er

56er

May 14, 2013
It is a risk but sometimes these are legitimate crooks.:) Nice looking Porterhouse!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Glad to hear that you didn't get hustled...... for what it's worth - if you make friends with a farmer or good butcher you can buy half a cow for less money and get more meat from it. Never mind the whole thing about knowing how it was fed, raised, etc....
We did it last year and it was amazing. A butcher in a truck literally just came out to my buddies farm and in a few hours a cow turned in to a year of beef.
We are a few months away from slaughter for my next cow. Being friends with the farmer, it's nice to visit the farm once in a while and talk shit to the little guy as his date with a plate gets closer.....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic