Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Hip rehab paying off. Squat 495x4

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I did about a 2 month stint of ART with a chrio for my hip. I tore a hip flexor and my periformis a few years ago and it healed up with tons of scar tissue. This caused a lot of pain and limited mobility. Anyway....the treatments did wonders! Hip feels 85% better. My mobility is greatly increased as well.

I am back squatting only about 2 weeks and this is how I finished off the night. 495x4. Hips were a tad tight tonight. Nice thing, as the set went on they got deeper. I also felt more confident sitting back. Stripe on side of shorts make it look high but I screen capped just to be sure they were good depth. With my hips as tight as they are, it always feels like I am 'bottoming out' regardless. ;) I video myself to keep honest. I think I could have ground out another rep, but I am not wanting to push that hard yet on my hip as I have only been back squatting a few weeks.

I still have to squat high bar and very narrow stance (my heels are about 10" apart). I just cant go wide without significant hip pain. But I am making due the best I can. Pretty happy and given all the things that could be, it feels pretty good to be moving some decent weight.

squat4_zps836824d1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
2 weeks back squatting and that's what you put up?!?! Beast mode activated! Congratulations on the successful rehab

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
2 weeks back squatting and that's what you put up?!?! Beast mode activated! Congratulations on the successful rehab

Thanks man. It feels very good to be able to move better. Not only in the gym, but in everyday life as well. Trying to just tie my shoes or pick up something off the floor was a event. I can't say enough about how well ART worked for me. I had come to feel that I was just going to be stuck with the pain the rest of my life.

As for here forward, I am just going to proceed cautiously. Being over 40, injuries just dont go away as easy. I try to understand that the limit does not have to be pushed all the time. But my love to challenge myself to do better is still making me try to move forward.

Hopefully I will put up a good single here soon. I did a 545 first week back and still felt I had a lot more in the tank. Not sure what the number is....but I know I still have a good deal of room to improve even if I am forced to adopt a style that is not optimal for 'powerlifting'.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I commented elsewhere but I will say again this is some seriously amazing shit.

Also your calves still suck. :D

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Great to see you squatting again. Next time, don't take so many steps. 3 steps.... 1 back, 2 back, 3 to get set (widen stance if you would like), and squat. You can lose your tightness taking so many steps and also zap some of your energy.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I commented elsewhere but I will say again this is some seriously amazing shit.

Also your calves still suck. :D

Thanks man. Truth is, you more than anyone motivated me to squat more. I used to be OK with subbing leg press and other exercises over the past few years (yea...I know dont tell anyone ;) ). Working out mostly at home, I did not have the motivation to squat. Watching you push your squats really got me off my a$$. They say that motivation has to come from within to be successful, but you were the nudge that got the ball rolling for me. Major thanks man.

And yea.....my calves still suk :D

Great to see you squatting again. Next time, don't take so many steps. 3 steps.... 1 back, 2 back, 3 to get set (widen stance if you would like), and squat. You can lose your tightness taking so many steps and also zap some of your energy.

Thanks BI. Appreciate your help. I know my squat walkout needs A LOT of work. I am finding I am taking a bunch of time setting up prior to my first rep. I am having trouble finding that perfect foot placement (for my left leg / hip). I probably need to practice a bunch of walkouts and learn to find the spot I am most comfortable and go right to it. Only problem I have, I cant feel the hip discomfort until I put a good deal of weight on the bar. I think over time, I will figure this out more. I will try to be aware of it and be more direct. The 3 step would be ideal.....right now I am doing the 8,9,10 shuffle ;)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yup, you should definitely practice walk outs. You should perform the walk outs with heavy weight. Performing them with light weight would be worthless b/c it doesn't accomplish what you're trying to achieve... which is the proper set up. Everything is easy when the weight is light.

This is actually why I like to perform reverse band squats. It works the walk out, speed work, and hit the CNS all the while making the lift a bit safer since the band is deloading the bar as you descend into the squat. If you have a cage, I suggest you give this a try.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Yup, you should definitely practice walk outs. You should perform the walk outs with heavy weight. Performing them with light weight would be worthless b/c it doesn't accomplish what you're trying to achieve... which is the proper set up. Everything is easy when the weight is light.

This is actually why I like to perform reverse band squats. It works the walk out, speed work, and hit the CNS all the while making the lift a bit safer since the band is deloading the bar as you descend into the squat. If you have a cage, I suggest you give this a try.

Thanks BI. Like I said, your help over the past few years has been a real asset. I will try what you suggested and see how it goes. I feel like I am ready to push myself on squats a little right now. Good a time as ever!

Thanks man!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014

This is gold!

Your Squat was amazing!

I always get freaked when I see walk outs like that.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic